[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

The link doesn't work because he probably copy/pasted it from the original, which has those three dots that make it an incompatible link.

Here is the actual link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wt7bh2g4g7u8ykd/RealSolarSystem_v6_pre1.zip

Thanks Razorcane and i did copy/paste from original. Thank you for saving everyone the trouble of having to dig back in the thread trying to find it. Great helpful people in the KSP forums who do alot of good work!

I'm trying to figure out how to put something in geostationary orbit while using the 10x Kerbol system by jsimmons. I've tried several altitudes and even found a calculator online for general orbital radius (not KSP), but so far nothing has worked. I though I might try to calculate it by hand, but as soon as I started looking at the math, my eyes glazed over and I doubt I'll get much headway there. That being said, in addition to wanting to know the right orbital altitude, I'm hoping there is a fairly simple way to calculate this so I can expand it out to the other planets when I get to that point.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

You will need the mass of the planet in question, in kg (M) and the time it takes to rotate once on it's axis, in seconds (T) [this would be 86400s for Earth]. The formula will give you the radius of orbit from the centre of the planet, in metres (for altitude, you will need to subtract the radius of the planet from the answer).

r^3 = 1.69E-12 (MT^2)

Orbit needs to be equatorial and the same sense of rotation as the planet and, of course, circular.

For Earth, this calculates out as 42 301 km. The radius of the earth is 6400km so the altitude would be 35 901 km above the surface of the planet.

Edited by TimeforAction

Took out the old RSS and installed this version but cannot load. KSP freezes at the loading screen. Anyone got any ideas (apart from reverting back to v5.5)?

EDIT: Confirmed crash so reinstalled v5.5. Back to working fine.

Edited by TimeforAction

Took out the old RSS and installed this version but cannot load. KSP freezes at the loading screen. Anyone got any ideas (apart from reverting back to v5.5)?

Probably running out of RAM, v6 uses more than 5.5.

I can live with "hovering", Its unlikely we could have it appear as image below. My main hope is two fold, #1 be on the equator for its obvious benefits to launches & #2 to provide a "real earth" launch site that gives no preference to any one nation's space program. So If its just a hovering "space port island" thats ok.

http://www.sea-launch.com/upload/bkgd3.jpg

Image detailing difference in distance from the equator:

http://nadjejda.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/sea-launch-graphic.jpg?w=594

I'm fixing KerbTown's launch site feature, and once it's finished we can build a model of Ocean Odyssey and place it on the sea (near equator of course!) and set it as an additional launch site. :)

Edited by HoneyFox

OK didn't know that. So that would mean removing other mods to make way for this one?

RSS v6 adds 2x8192 textures and 1x 4096 or 2048 (I forget). Combined, it's about 200MB RAM over what v5.5 used. And KSP, as a 32bit process, is limited to ~3.4GB of RAM. If you check your crash output_log, you'll probably see something about allocating memory and that failing.

Use rbray's Active Texture Management mod in aggressive mode, and play with the scaling line until you get enough free RAM.

RSS v6 adds 2x8192 textures and 1x 4096 or 2048 (I forget). Combined, it's about 200MB RAM over what v5.5 used. And KSP, as a 32bit process, is limited to ~3.4GB of RAM. If you check your crash output_log, you'll probably see something about allocating memory and that failing.

Use rbray's Active Texture Management mod in aggressive mode, and play with the scaling line until you get enough free RAM.

You really don't need the agressive setup on that ATM mod. You can get away with the basic mode, but the trick is to remove anything you never use from the game. Like myself, I dont ever use most of the structural parts from B9, or most of the extra wing parts. So I removed most of the cfgs for them. I also killed the cfgs of most of the fuel tanks. Which saved me a fair amount of RAM right there.

Really once you get the stretchy tanks and procedural wings and fairings you dont need most of the extra parts in most parts packs.

Using the Active Texture Management? if not install it from http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-Release-2-15-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs!

Sounds like your running out of memory

For anyone who is interested, here is cfg I made for RemoteTech2 to be used with RSS and RO. To use, simply put both cfgs in your Gamedata folder, and delete the AIES RT2 cfg if you have it.

Make sure you have the following settings in your RemoteTech_Settings.cfg:

ConsumptionMultiplier = 1

RangeMultiplier = 1

RangeModelType = Root

MultipleAntennaMultiplier = somewhere between 0.25 and 1. Experiment to see what works best for you.

I also suggest increasing your ground station omni range, but whether or not, and by how much is up to you.

If you add this to an existing save, you may find that some of your probes/satellites are no longer in range, or don't have enough power, so I recommend only using it on a new save.

Many thanks to NathanKell and RedAV8R for helping me put this together.

Edited by brooklyn666

You will need the mass of the planet in question, in kg (M) and the time it takes to rotate once on it's axis, in seconds (T) [this would be 86400s for Earth]. The formula will give you the radius of orbit from the centre of the planet, in metres (for altitude, you will need to subtract the radius of the planet from the answer).

r^3 = 1.69E-12 (MT^2)

Orbit needs to be equatorial and the same sense of rotation as the planet and, of course, circular.

For Earth, this calculates out as 42 301 km. The radius of the earth is 6400km so the altitude would be 35 901 km above the surface of the planet.

Ok, so I plugged in the mass numbers from the RSS config file for the 10x Kerbol system and came out with ~10.1Mm and low and behold it worked just great. Thank you.

Now the question I have is how I can go about calculating the Delta-V requirements to get around in my new, larger solar system. I'm guessing I can't just multiply the numbers from the various Delta-V maps for KSP by 10, so is there a relatively simple way of doing this?

After several issues with installing RSS which I have now sorted I can confirm that RSS v6 is working wonderfully and I have a great graphic of The Earth. May need to move the launch site though.

Edited by TimeforAction

Is there a way to add a second ground station for KSC2 (inland) or use the island base for the RSS real earth version? Because I would love to put KSC2 in Europe somewhere and the island base in Australia.

Is there a way to add a second ground station for KSC2 (inland) or use the island base for the RSS real earth version? Because I would love to put KSC2 in Europe somewhere and the island base in Australia.

Yep. Just open up your RT2 RemoteTech_Settings.cfg and copy the following

STATION
{
Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc488
Name = Mission Control
Latitude = -0.131331503391266
Longitude = -74.594841003418
Height = 75
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+7
}
}

Then just paste it below the first ground station, and change the name, guid, and set the coordinates.

Yep. Just open up your RT2 RemoteTech_Settings.cfg and copy the following

(snip)

Then just paste it below the first ground station, and change the name, guid, and set the coordinates.

So that will give me a second ground station with RT2? Now the next question how do I move KSC2 and the island airfield?

And how do I find the lat/long of the other station to convert it so it will read it? I mean Google Earth doesn't give me lat long in a way that KSP can read it.

So that will give me a second ground station with RT2? Now the next question how do I move KSC2 and the island airfield?

And how do I find the lat/long of the other station to convert it so it will read it? I mean Google Earth doesn't give me lat long in a way that KSP can read it.

Yep! You can make as many as you want. If you want to move an existing ground station, just change the coordinates to wherever you want.

Lat/long is given in two forms: decimal and minutes/seconds.

RSS wants decimal.

Let's say the form is Hº M' S" (e.g. W 74º 23' 15")

You convert as H+M/60+S/3600 and then make it negative if it's W or S (E or N are positive). That'd be -74.3875.

Lat/long is given in two forms: decimal and minutes/seconds.

RSS wants decimal.

Let's say the form is Hº M' S" (e.g. W 74º 23' 15")

You convert as H+M/60+S/3600 and then make it negative if it's W or S (E or N are positive). That'd be -74.3875.

I think I got it now, thanks, found a handy converting tool online...

http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html

Now about that moving KSC2 and the island KSC.

Are they even in the RSS Real Earth version?

I think I got it now, thanks, found a handy converting tool online...

http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html

Now about that moving KSC2 and the island KSC.

Are they even in the RSS Real Earth version?

KSC2 and IslandAirfield are both in RSS:Earth. Just need to tweak their Lat/Lon and altitude according to the new terrain height.

And I think I may have noticed a small bug... at least in my version.

Rockets or anything for that matter take off and they show heading 090 but true heading is more like 130 from the Kennedy Space Center.