[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

I installed config by metaphor and sovereign from page 233 of this thread, now my KSP takes about 1 hour to load. Really, one hour, I am not kidding. Yes, I waited that long. I don't think it is because of added textures as I have a lot of mods installed and those new textures are a drop in the sea comparing to everything I have installed. Tried removing some stuff - didn't help.

It does not occur with stock v6 or v6.1 config.

I am going to work on a new config for RSS+PF based on RSS v6.1.

I installed config by metaphor and sovereign from page 233 of this thread, now my KSP takes about 1 hour to load. Really, one hour, I am not kidding. Yes, I waited that long. I don't think it is because of added textures as I have a lot of mods installed and those new textures are a drop in the sea comparing to everything I have installed. Tried removing some stuff - didn't help.

It does not occur with stock v6 or v6.1 config.

I am going to work on a new config for RSS+PF based on RSS v6.1.

Look two pages back.

Bedi: Have you tried RSS v6+? You might be surprised. Zoom out in the tracking station.

I'm suprised;D I just read somewhere that simulating axial tilt is imposible in ksp.

hey guys, I was wondering if you can give me a hand. I had to do a fresh install of KSP and RSS. For some reason when I try and tart a new or load an old game I cant get to the KSC. All I get upon load is a starmap and a section of black sreen. If I increase time warp i can see the sun and the moon as they pass by and there is a section of black that I am assuming is kerbin. I'm guessing that the camera is in the wrong location but I cant get any more information other then that. Any ideas on how to go about fixing this? (mods used are all of the RO and RSS)

Look two pages back.

Ok, I looked. What was I supposed to see there?

EDIT:

Ok, I don't know what the guy expected me to find two pages back and why it was so freaking difficult to be more specific, but in case anyone is interested here is a config I put together from stock RSS 6.1 config and metaphor/sovereign config from page 233 of this thread. It doesn't take an hour to load, at least for me. Actually I have no idea if anyone else even having the same problem but here it is anyway.

https://www./?vmdfoanvydn782b

Edited by darkside

Ok, I looked. What was I supposed to see there?

EDIT:

Ok, I don't know what the guy expected me to find two pages back and why it was so freaking difficult to be more specific, but in case anyone is interested here is a config I put together from stock RSS 6.1 config and metaphor/sovereign config from page 233 of this thread. It doesn't take an hour to load, at least for me. Actually I have no idea if anyone else even having the same problem but here it is anyway.

https://www./?vmdfoanvydn782b

Wow, are you freaking serious?? Maybe I wasn't specific because I didn't know or remember what the answer was. I only know that two pages back, guess what? They're talking about your problem!

But ok, no problemo. I got it. I'm supposed to go and find the answer for you. Here it is.

Edit RealSolarSystem.cfg

Find the line that says wrap = true and change it to wrap = false.

Silver platter not included.

I'm having a game breaking glitch that I think is coming from this. Every time I'm landing a suborbital pod on kerbin the game crashes when at roughly 10km from the ground, every time I land in a new biome other than ksc.

I initially thought this was down to having VE mod but removing hasn't done anything either.

I can't see how this could be caused by parts :/ it's always at the same altitude.

Running 6.1, with stnd res normal and high res colour.

I've found 6.1 to significantly decrease the 'number of launches before CTDesktop'-ness in general. Everything else seems to be good otherwise, especially the addition of more generous mountain heights on kerbin at least.

Wow, are you freaking serious?? Maybe I wasn't specific because I didn't know or remember what the answer was. I only know that two pages back, guess what? They're talking about your problem!

But ok, no problemo. I got it. I'm supposed to go and find the answer for you. Here it is.

Edit RealSolarSystem.cfg

I didn't ask for an answer, just reported an issue that I had. If you sincerely tried to help and I offended you then I apologize.

By the way my new config still has wrap = true but the issue does not occur.

Edited by darkside

Edit RealSolarSystem.cfg

To be a little fair, I think we need to be a little better about putting critical information like this into the OP (it still says v6, not even v6.1 in the title and that's an easy fix), but that being said, it's not unreasonable to expect users to search for the answers they are looking for (hint, you can search within threads)...

Edited by SpacedInvader

I'm having a game breaking glitch that I think is coming from this. Every time I'm landing a suborbital pod on kerbin the game crashes when at roughly 10km from the ground, every time I land in a new biome other than ksc.

I initially thought this was down to having VE mod but removing hasn't done anything either.

I can't see how this could be caused by parts :/ it's always at the same altitude.

Running 6.1, with stnd res normal and high res colour.

I've found 6.1 to significantly decrease the 'number of launches before CTDesktop'-ness in general. Everything else seems to be good otherwise, especially the addition of more generous mountain heights on kerbin at least.

Try turning off ground scatter, for some reason it's really cranked up in the new version and can really cause huge memory spikes.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already, I am not willing to read 277 pages of comments, but I am currently having a bug with real solar system. Mar's (duna's) atmosphere is changed to ~.006 atmospheres of pressure, as expected, but the atmosphere never actually ends, no matter how high up you go. Even at the edge of the Martian SOI, I have no access to time-warp. Also, you cannot time-warp over Phobos because the SOI is smaller than the time-warp limitations.

The mods I have installed:

-Kerbal Engineer Redux

-Procedural Fairings

-Hyperedit (because nobody wants to go all the way to Mars to test-run a lander, right?)

-RSS

All of my mods are up to date.

On a side note, the vanilla parachutes never deploy, as their pressure limitations are never reached. Is this intentional?

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already, I am not willing to read 277 pages of comments, but I am currently having a bug with real solar system. Mar's (duna's) atmosphere is changed to ~.006 atmospheres of pressure, as expected, but the atmosphere never actually ends, no matter how high up you go. Even at the edge of the Martian SOI, I have no access to time-warp. Also, you cannot time-warp over Phobos because the SOI is smaller than the time-warp limitations.

The mods I have installed:

-Kerbal Engineer Redux

-Procedural Fairings

-Hyperedit (because nobody wants to go all the way to Mars to test-run a lander, right?)

-RSS

All of my mods are up to date.

On a side note, the vanilla parachutes never deploy, as their pressure limitations are never reached. Is this intentional?

A quick search of the thread for the terms "time warp mars" returned this post... We don't expect you to read 277 pages to find the answers, but that search took me literally 30 seconds...

As for the chutes, just use Real Chutes. It's a fantastic mod and you won't regret the switch, though you might regret his occasional pranks.... just remember always to save after he updates things...

Edited by SpacedInvader

InfinityArch: axial tilt is faked by setting the key planet (the only one to have correct axial tilt) to an inclination equal to its tilt. Then the ecliptic will be in effect tilted to that plane, and thus the inclinations of all other bodies are recomputed to place them in their correct inclination to the ecliptic.

Dooz: why stop there? :D

dlrk: it's been updated. I forgot to remove OUTDATED when asked. Apologies to you (and jsimmons)

TechnicalK3rbal: note the configs at the top of the OP.

Bedi: :D

eggrobin simulated it (as in my explanation at the top of this post). Only Earth has its correct tilt. True axial tilt is impossible in KSP right now.

catas4trophy: please post your output_log.txt and a screenshot of your GameData folder.

pingopete: That seems very strange. Has anyone else had this issue? Has it gone away from removing scatter?

darkside: it has wrap=true but it presumably also has spheresOnly = true.

Cjprice: are you *really* sure that you're using RSS v6.1? The Mars atmosphere bug was fixed. It ends at 213.3km. Phobos should get lower altitude limits, quite right. Although since escape velocity is a pogo stick away, not sure that's the best idea :D

@Nathan: You mentioned a few pages ago that there were some NASA mission planners out there that could help in mission planning with RSS because the RSS variant of the KSP one isn't updated to work with the new epoch system and tilt of the planets. The question I have is where can I find these? I've been googling them for a while now and never come up with anything other than that orbit optimizer tool posted earlier then the rest are all for KSP for some reason...

EDIT: Nevermind, I finally found it on my own...

Edited by SpacedInvader

InfinityArch: axial tilt is faked by setting the key planet (the only one to have correct axial tilt) to an inclination equal to its tilt. Then the ecliptic will be in effect tilted to that plane, and thus the inclinations of all other bodies are recomputed to place them in their correct inclination to the ecliptic.

Dooz: why stop there? :D

dlrk: it's been updated. I forgot to remove OUTDATED when asked. Apologies to you (and jsimmons)

TechnicalK3rbal: note the configs at the top of the OP.

Bedi: :D

eggrobin simulated it (as in my explanation at the top of this post). Only Earth has its correct tilt. True axial tilt is impossible in KSP right now.

catas4trophy: please post your output_log.txt and a screenshot of your GameData folder.

pingopete: That seems very strange. Has anyone else had this issue? Has it gone away from removing scatter?

darkside: it has wrap=true but it presumably also has spheresOnly = true.

Cjprice: are you *really* sure that you're using RSS v6.1? The Mars atmosphere bug was fixed. It ends at 213.3km. Phobos should get lower altitude limits, quite right. Although since escape velocity is a pogo stick away, not sure that's the best idea :D

Here is the info. I am a terrible programmer and have been working on getting this fixed for a while. Still no luck.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byu2_IOXV58oTUY1a0hON1Uxd00/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byu2_IOXV58oU0JhX29id1l0c3c/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: These are some screen shots of what I see when I start a game as well as some of the ones from the training scenarios.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byu2_IOXV58oUC1IUXVRS2oxQXc/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byu2_IOXV58obXRxRGFQblIySDg/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byu2_IOXV58oTGkwVV9Zck9Delk/edit?usp=sharing

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by catas4trophy

Stupid question: How to convert the KSP date format to work with these? I know that RSS sets the date to 1950 (I'm assuming y1d1 = Jan 1, 1950), but some of these don't allow for dates that early... It also doesn't help that axial tilts are then faked in a way that really skews the orbital inclinations of everything, at least without knowing all of the math behind it.

Edited by SpacedInvader

catas4trophy: Um, lots of stuff... :]

Remove Final Frontier, Soviet Pack, and any MJ2/RPM/Scansat integration stuff you don't need. All are causing errors in the log.

Get the B9 .23 Fixes pack. After that, update to the latest ExsurgentEngineering (you can find it by following the link to RftS Pack from the Realism Overhaul OP). You also need to update Firespitter afterwards too.

What is RealismPack? Is it Dragon01's stuff? I need to remove that from the RO modlist, it's not up to date.

Also, you really, really, really need to not change folder names. In fact, you need to install addons exactly as their install instructions tell you. If the mod says "unzip into GameData" then unzip that archive into GameData, don't unzip it into another folder, rename it, and chuck that in GameData.

(What is ModularFuelSystem-RealFuels anyway? You also have a RealFuels folder. And as the RealFuels OP says, you want *just Real Fuels*...)

Finally, toss RT2_RO; it's included in Realism Overhaul (which you seem to not have? RPL certainly needs it.)

There, that's everything I noticed, but the log has so many errors it'll probably take a few passes. What I suggest is you first go to an absolutely minimal install: just stock + RSS + FAR + ModuleManager. Then gradually add things, noting requirements. Once you hit your first error, give me the log again. We'll get it sorted out. :)

tychochallenge: Sounds like an installation issue. If you want to provide more info, like I just asked catas4trophy for, then I can maybe sort you out.

Edited by NathanKell

Ninja SpacedInvader gets a response too!

KSP date format: make sure you have Earth days turned on in Settings (KSP's own settings). Next, Year 1 = 1950. So Year 5, Day 176 would be June 25, 1954.

All inclinations for Earth orbit are relative to Earth's equator, not the ecliptic. Step one is indeed to match planes with the ecliptic. For that, you do need some math, or you can rough it by zooming out and matching your orbital plane to the plane you see.

Ninja SpacedInvader gets a response too!

KSP date format: make sure you have Earth days turned on in Settings (KSP's own settings). Next, Year 1 = 1950. So Year 5, Day 176 would be June 25, 1954.

All inclinations for Earth orbit are relative to Earth's equator, not the ecliptic. Step one is indeed to match planes with the ecliptic. For that, you do need some math, or you can rough it by zooming out and matching your orbital plane to the plane you see.

And that math would be...? Right now I can't even hit the moon because I keep launching into the wrong inclination, even when using that second method, resulting in way more delta-v plane change than I brought along with me...

Ok. For the moon, your best bet is using MechJeb (latest dev version obvs). Go to the pad, go to map, set Moon as target. Get Ascent Guidance and then click Launch into Target Plane. Let it warp until T-0 seconds, then launch.

For interplanetary transfers, you need to launch into approximately that plane too (the moon is at a 5 degree inclination from the ecliptic. Probably your best bet for that is to launch into the Moon's plane and then do your interplanetary burn. You'll need a mid-course correction to get your inclination right at the target.

Metaphor would be the expert here, though; other than once getting to the moon to test its terrain I haven't been outside LEO in *months*.