[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Ok. For the moon, your best bet is using MechJeb (latest dev version obvs). Go to the pad, go to map, set Moon as target. Get Ascent Guidance and then click Launch into Target Plane. Let it warp until T-0 seconds, then launch.

For interplanetary transfers, you need to launch into approximately that plane too (the moon is at a 5 degree inclination from the ecliptic. Probably your best bet for that is to launch into the Moon's plane and then do your interplanetary burn. You'll need a mid-course correction to get your inclination right at the target.

Metaphor would be the expert here, though; other than once getting to the moon to test its terrain I haven't been outside LEO in *months*.

That definitely got me to the Moon. Getting ready to shoot for Mars and Venus flyby's. TBH, it makes sense not to be running all over the solar system willy nilly, but then again, this is the fun of doing this in a game with time compression... instead of launching a mission and waiting years for it to get there, you can just fast forward to the arrival time and have your fun.

That definitely got me to the Moon. Getting ready to shoot for Mars and Venus flyby's. TBH, it makes sense not to be running all over the solar system willy nilly, but then again, this is the fun of doing this in a game with time compression... instead of launching a mission and waiting years for it to get there, you can just fast forward to the arrival time and have your fun.

The way I launch to other planetary destinations: put a test spacecraft in equatorial LEO; make a maneuver node to get to other planet, including as much inclination change as you want, to get there in a single burn; warp time until KSC is in the same plane as that maneuver (the plane formed by the spacecraft's orbit if it actually performed that maneuver), it's useful to move the camera so that the maneuver node is lined up with Earth's center; launch into that plane. When you're in orbit, you now only have to do a straight prograde burn to get to your destination.

Another way to do it, if you know when your launch window is, is to launch into a dawn-to-dusk polar orbit (an orbit that follows the Earth's terminator all the way around the Earth), and go straight from that orbit to an interplanetary destination, since you can add any inclination change by moving your maneuver node around the orbit.

Or just launch into the ecliptic plane, get into a Hohmann transfer orbit, and do a plane change maneuver at the ascending/descending node. However, in RSS, the plane change maneuver is often very expensive (1 km/s +).

By the way, the inclination at which you should launch into Earth orbit for a minimum delta-v transfer is called the Declination of the Launching Asymptote (DLA). This website is pretty useful at finding trajectories but only works after 2010.

Also, I've noticed the planets at the start of the game don't seem to be in the same positions as the real planets on Jan 1, 1950. Might be a problem with the mean anomaly not being calculated correctly when applying the axial tilt to all the planets' orbits.

metaphor: dangit, I thought we'd fixed that. Anyway, as soon as you can if you can hop on #kspmodders and talk to eggrobin about the orbital parameters; he crunched them all in a Mathematic workbook, and I guess something got lost on the way.

Thanks for the previous response, NathanKell.

I really like playing RSS + (most) realism overhauls mods but it's very difficult to actually do mission with all the inclination madness and lack of a good calculator for launching windows and inclinations. How about a simple basic spreedsheet for everyone? For example: Launches for a Saturn mission with gravity assisti from JUPITER, best dates to launch: DAY 390, 1280, 2500, do the burn at inclination Xº and etc? I don´t really like using mechjeb.

Anyone ever done something like that?

@metaphor Would you have some dates for mars jupiter and saturn missions? And any tips on how to calculate gravity assistis?

Ok I went through and cleaned up everything you said. I re-downloaded the mods and have been adding then one by one via their instructions. I run a test and see if they are working before moving onto the next one. I got to installing KW Rocketry Before I hit my first problem.When I add this one the problem shows itself.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byu2_IOXV58oQklkclhLREVaWjA/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byu2_IOXV58odHZ4YmY3cHFPNkk/edit?usp=sharing

I am kinda worried about breaking the files now so i'm not sure how to test or attempt a fix for something that goes wrong.

catas4trophy: the ouput_log.txt you sent was from Launcher_Data, not KSP_Data. However, given that things stopped working on adding a parts mod, I feel safe to say you're running out of memory. Get Active Texture Manangement in aggressive mode.

sephirotic: a spreadsheet like that sounds great! Anyone want to tackle it?

The way I launch to other planetary destinations: put a test spacecraft in equatorial LEO; make a maneuver node to get to other planet, including as much inclination change as you want, to get there in a single burn; warp time until KSC is in the same plane as that maneuver (the plane formed by the spacecraft's orbit if it actually performed that maneuver), it's useful to move the camera so that the maneuver node is lined up with Earth's center; launch into that plane. When you're in orbit, you now only have to do a straight prograde burn to get to your destination.

Another way to do it, if you know when your launch window is, is to launch into a dawn-to-dusk polar orbit (an orbit that follows the Earth's terminator all the way around the Earth), and go straight from that orbit to an interplanetary destination, since you can add any inclination change by moving your maneuver node around the orbit.

Or just launch into the ecliptic plane, get into a Hohmann transfer orbit, and do a plane change maneuver at the ascending/descending node. However, in RSS, the plane change maneuver is often very expensive (1 km/s +).

By the way, the inclination at which you should launch into Earth orbit for a minimum delta-v transfer is called the Declination of the Launching Asymptote (DLA). This website is pretty useful at finding trajectories but only works after 2010.

Also, I've noticed the planets at the start of the game don't seem to be in the same positions as the real planets on Jan 1, 1950. Might be a problem with the mean anomaly not being calculated correctly when applying the axial tilt to all the planets' orbits.

I actually used to put a navigation satellite like that up before I found the stock KSP launch planners. This plus Mechjeb will at least give me a decent quick and dirty window planner, but I really hope you math wiz types will get the planetary starting points figured out soon so I can use the real planning software to find most efficient travel windows and such.

catas4trophy: the ouput_log.txt you sent was from Launcher_Data, not KSP_Data. However, given that things stopped working on adding a parts mod, I feel safe to say you're running out of memory. Get Active Texture Manangement in aggressive mode.

sephirotic: a spreadsheet like that sounds great! Anyone want to tackle it?

Is it even worth putting in the effort to create a navigation spreadsheet before the planetary starting locations are fixed? I have to say that I'm starting to get concerns that using inclinations to fake axial tilt like this is going to end up being more trouble than its worth...

Edited by SpacedInvader

Is it even worth putting in the effort to create a navigation spreadsheet before the planetary starting locations are fixed?

Exactly, I thought since they aren't definitive yet, building a complete launch planer application or a complete spreedshet would indeed be a waste of effort, but calculating just a couple of followed dates for missions to Mars, Jupiter and Saturn shouldn´t be such massive work like a complete 70 years spam spreedsheet and this way at least we could create a new save game to do just a single mission to each of these bodies.

I've been designing and test-proving a new realistic 6 kerbal vessel to Europa for a complete mission and I've been itching to fly it all the way there without actually recurring to centuries of Timewarps until I get an encounter (or just hyperediting) . I'd do it if I were good with math, which unfortunately I ain't.

Metaphors hint's have helped to at least leave orbit in the right plane, but we still need a proper date for the launch.

Exactly, I thought since they aren't definitive yet, building a complete launch planer application or a complete spreedshet would indeed be a waste of effort, but calculating just a couple of followed dates for missions to Mars, Jupiter and Saturn shouldn´t be such massive work like a complete 70 years spam spreedsheet and this way at least we could create a new save game to do just a single mission to each of these bodies.

I've been designing and test-proving a new realistic 6 kerbal vessel to Europa for a complete mission and I've been itching to fly it all the way there without actually recurring to centuries of Timewarps until I get an encounter (or just hyperediting) . I'd do it if I were good with math, which unfortunately I ain't.

Metaphors hint's have helped to at least leave orbit in the right plane, but we still need a proper date for the launch.

The easy way to find the right date to leave is it use Mechjeb's maneuver planner to automate the date selection. Might night be absolute best efficiency, but at least it's better than just blasting out into interplanetary space and hoping...

whenever I load ksp with this mod, the space center is always underneath the ground...:confused:

Could some one help this guy, i have the same problem. I have tried to install it 3 times now, i replaced all the files from the most uptodate ones on https://github.com/NathanKell/RealSolarSystem

Everything seems to load fine but i am staring at the green grass and the space center is no place to be seen. I believe it is underground. How do i go about fixing this?

For some reason the space centers appear below the ground for me. I've only tested the default, Baikonur and Cape Canaveral, all these three are underground. Baikonur had the VAB heli pads above the surface, but that doesn't help a lot. Searching this thread gave no results. How do I fix this?

For some reason the space centers appear below the ground for me. I've only tested the default, Baikonur and Cape Canaveral, all these three are underground. Baikonur had the VAB heli pads above the surface, but that doesn't help a lot. Searching this thread gave no results. How do I fix this?

Yes can some one fix this please... i am having the same issue...

... I thought the Cape Canaveral space center (well, I think it's modeled after Kennedy Space Center, which is on Merritt Island) was default? Anyways, sorry, I don't know what the issue is. :(

So i removed the RSS file in GameData awhile ago, thought that i was done with it. Came back to this:

14dod3b.png

So; how do i legitimately remove RealSolarSystem?

Oh, and KSC is underground.

It's best to have separate installs, I have one for my YT let's play and general KSP experience, and another for strictly RSS purposes (replicas and such). I think you'll have to start a new save, sorry. :(

It's best to have separate installs, I have one for my YT let's play and general KSP experience, and another for strictly RSS purposes (replicas and such). I think you'll have to start a new save, sorry. :(

I Just started a game and copied it from my steam folder... I got this issue as well. That is not the problem....

So i removed the RSS file in GameData awhile ago, thought that i was done with it. Came back to this:

http://i59.tinypic.com/14dod3b.png

So; how do i legitimately remove RealSolarSystem?

Oh, and KSC is underground.

You removed a file? You need to remove the actual RealSolarSystem folder. I have no idea what you actually deleted but it's not just a file, if you're trying to uninstall. Remove the whole folder RealSolarSystem in GameData and that's it, it's dead.

I've never tried getting the entire real solar system before, but on installing I found this bug. Btw I did wade through all 3 pages of search on this thread and found nothing, but sorry if it's been discussed before, I tried!

It was with the instruction from the link on the OP for all real planets using planet factory.

EDIT: It also hangs for a good minute and a half after loading before the main menu

MHSkkvZ.jpg

Edited by pingopete