[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

You removed a file? You need to remove the actual RealSolarSystem folder. I have no idea what you actually deleted but it's not just a file, if you're trying to uninstall. Remove the whole folder RealSolarSystem in GameData and that's it, it's dead.

That's what i did.

... I thought the Cape Canaveral space center (well, I think it's modeled after Kennedy Space Center, which is on Merritt Island) was default?

Entirely possible, I did not check. That would just make it only 2 pads that I've tested. But they are still underground so if anyone can help me with that, I would be very happy.

I'm having a problem when heading to the moon from Earth. When I set up a maneuver marker, it says I am leaving Earth's SoI and heading for an escape trajectory, but the altitude is only around 77 million meters. Then strangely, when I increase the marker more, it will give me a moon encounter. The encounter is also really weird. The trajectory within the moon's SoI is almost just a straight line from where I enter it to where I leave it. I had assumed it was just a graphical glitch and followed through with the burns. When I got to about the point where it said I would have had the escape trajectory, I left the Earth's SoI and floated off into space.

Extra info: I had edited the RealSolarSystem.cfg file a bit. I only changed the inclinations, a handful of skins, and the KSC location (it was underground for some reason). I don't think any of that would have affected this.

Another minor problem I'm having, though it is tolerable, is that I can only use physical time warp when under I think 185,000m even though I am in orbit around the planet.

QRvSl9R.pngmihDYxl.pngxNGy93H.png

I'm having a problem when heading to the moon from Earth. When I set up a maneuver marker, it says I am leaving Earth's SoI and heading for an escape trajectory, but the altitude is only around 77 million meters. Then strangely, when I increase the marker more, it will give me a moon encounter. The encounter is also really weird. The trajectory within the moon's SoI is almost just a straight line from where I enter it to where I leave it. I had assumed it was just a graphical glitch and followed through with the burns. When I got to about the point where it said I would have had the escape trajectory, I left the Earth's SoI and floated off into space.

Extra info: I had edited the RealSolarSystem.cfg file a bit. I only changed the inclinations, a handful of skins, and the KSC location (it was underground for some reason). I don't think any of that would have affected this.

Another minor problem I'm having, though it is tolerable, is that I can only use physical time warp when under I think 185,000m even though I am in orbit around the planet.

QRvSl9R.pngmihDYxl.pngxNGy93H.png

http://i.imgur.com/QRvSl9R.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/mihDYxl.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/xNGy93H.png

Double post is double... I can't speak to the SOI issue, though I would say that RSS is a finicky beast when you start messing around with things that were very carefully calculated. As for the 180km thing, that's working as intended... The outer most atmosphere begins at 180km, so you're restricted to physical time warp from there on down...

EDIT: I'd also like to ask people with the underground bug, are you running .23.5? The more I see your posts, the more I'm reminded of the issues I got when trying to run the 10x Kerbol config from .23 on the v6-pre release of RSS, which is intended to work with .23.5...

Edited by SpacedInvader

Underground KSC bug has been confirmed to be:

*Wrong KSP version OR

*Wrong installation procedure OR

*Running out of memory and failing to load textures.

I have yet to hear a case that wasn't one of these.

As for your SOI/inclination issue, can you be more explicit about what you edited?

========

An update. I've been banging away at caching warped meshes. I've had to write my own custom exporter and importer, write something to deep copy meshes, *and* write my own warper. I'm just about ready to test stuff, finally.

*Wrong KSP version OR

Well, now you have. It was terrain quality setting all along. If it's set to lowest, like I had, then most launch pads will be underground. Some will be usable, like the British one, for example, I don't know if any runways will be usable. After I set it to the middle, I could nicely launch a rocket from Cape Canaveral. I haven't tested any other launch pads yet, but I assume they will be fixed, too.

I would recommend adding a big red text about it somewhere in the OP.

Ok, so I've been slowly working on biome maps for the Moon, Mars, and Venus, with the Moon going to be coming out first. I've run into a slight problem with the Moon, however which is that I've been somewhat stuck trying to find a balance between a good selection of the features to identify as biomes, a good coverage of the whole surface, and not having too many biomes. There are literally thousands of combinations and options, though there are certain items I know for sure I want on the list as unique items (Mare Tranquillitatis, for example), so that means I've got to draw the line somewhere. Anyway, the three questions I'm going to put here are:

1: How many biomes is too many biomes?

2: Which features do you all want to see as individual biomes?

3: Which major features are going to be ok to merge into something more general?

EDIT: So now I've got a longer short list... all craters and "water features" that are over 200km in diameter, plus the poles, the South Pole Aitken Basin, Lunar highlands, Lunar midlands / lowlands (this is the "oceanic" areas, but its hard to call them the lowlands when the lowest areas are actually in the South Pole Aitken Basin), and then associated craters for each zone. All in all, it looks like nearly 60 biomes, which I'm thinking might be a few too many...

Edited by SpacedInvader

Double post is double... I can't speak to the SOI issue, though I would say that RSS is a finicky beast when you start messing around with things that were very carefully calculated. As for the 180km thing, that's working as intended... The outer most atmosphere begins at 180km, so you're restricted to physical time warp from there on down...

EDIT: I'd also like to ask people with the underground bug, are you running .23.5? The more I see your posts, the more I'm reminded of the issues I got when trying to run the 10x Kerbol config from .23 on the v6-pre release of RSS, which is intended to work with .23.5...

I have no idea why it posted twice...

OK, I guess I'll just push my orbit out a bit.

And I'm rather certain I'm running the latest KSP alongside the latest version of RSS. I just downloaded what was on the first post in the thread, and the file I have says v6.1

*Wrong KSP version OR

As for your SOI/inclination issue, can you be more explicit about what you edited?

========

An update. I've been banging away at caching warped meshes. I've had to write my own custom exporter and importer, write something to deep copy meshes, *and* write my own warper. I'm just about ready to test stuff, finally.

I'll double check each of those. How would I know if I am running out of memory? The game runs fine otherwise and that is the only thing that isn't loading correctly.

Ok, so I edited the KSC location a bit so now it looks like this. I added the repositionRadial line and changed the radius. I read someone say that that fixes it from being underground, and it does for the most part.

Name = Cape Canaveral PQSCity
{
KEYname = KSC
repositionRadial = 158200.0, -220.0, -570000.0
lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
latitude = 28.608389
longitude = -80.604333
repositionRadiusOffset = 53
}
PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
{
radius = 75000
//10000
heightMapDeformity = 80
absoluteOffset = 0
absolute = true
radius = 10000
latitude = 28.608389
longitude = -80.604333
}

When I altered the planets a bit, here is just a bit from Pluto, not all found in this order, but just pieces. I changed the inclination like this, and if the config didn't have a skin for a planet/moon, I found some and added it in.:

inclination         = 0.21236405752844
//inclination = 23.61236405752844

SSColor32 = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/PlutoColor.png
SSBump = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/PlutoNRM.png
PQS
{
Vall
{
PQSMod_VertexHeightMap // doubles
{
heightMapOffset = 0 //-2000.0
heightMapDeformity = 17300.0 //15600.0 //7000 // 5000
heightMap = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/PlutoHeight.png
}
}
}

I didn't do a lot with Earth because it already had skins and such. I only changed the orbit inclination and added a body description.

Now that I think about it, it is probably relevant to say that I also downloaded the RSS Planet Replacements V1 that I found in this thread, which replaced the config file. I just looked at dates on the 2 files, the stock RSS and the replacements mod, and the replacement one is newer, so I don't think that would have an effect. I guess I should also say that I am not running the planet factory addon. Whenever I had RSS and planet factory together, the game never finished loading. It went to the black screen after the loading page and stayed there. It does that a little bit for me when I run only RSS, but it does make it to the main menu after a short wait. Should I just be waiting longer?

It does that a little bit for me when I run only RSS, but it does make it to the main menu after a short wait. Should I just be waiting longer?

If you do, a) you'll be confronted with this unsurpassable barrier, like I am (Installed correct and pretty sure I'm not out of memory) [RSS6.1, latest PFactory with instructed files from link from OP for real planets] :

MHSkkvZ.jpg

Or B) you'll probably have tried, out of desperation, installing a different version of PF, only to find yourself endlessly waiting forever, it never ends, I gave it 15 minutes and it never crashedTD just stuck after loading bar finished :(

The best way to check how you're doing on memory is to open your Windows Task Manager and leave it on the processes tab sorted by memory. This should end up with KSP at the top and give you a real time value for total memory used by the process. If you're not on windows, I'm pretty sure there are similar programs to monitor memory usage online somewhere.

@metaphor Would you have some dates for mars jupiter and saturn missions? And any tips on how to calculate gravity assistis?

The inner planets in RSS (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter) have almost exactly the same relative spacing as the stock KSP planets, so the phase angle for launch windows is the same (http://ksp.olex.biz/). If you want Earth-Saturn or farther out transfers, the optimal phase angles are a little larger than Jupiter's 95 degrees (about 105-115 degrees). I can't really give specific dates since the mean anomalies don't work, but you could look for dates where the real planets are the same relative phase angle (for example, http://www.theplanetstoday.com/, make sure to select true planet spacings on the right).

But for anything farther out than Jupiter I would recommend using Jupiter as a gravity assist. Just launch like you normally would to Jupiter, but choose the launch window so that the destination planet is about 120-180 degrees ahead of Jupiter at launch. Then tweak your closest approach to Jupiter so that your post-Jupiter trajectory takes you to the other planet. Jupiter and the other giant planets can bend your trajectory in basically any direction.

InfinityArch : I have updated the 10x kerbol config. I attempted to add a slight tilt to each planet but if you don't like the values

I used please tell me what you would like to see.

dirk: Take a look at the OP page. A 10x kerbol config now exist.

Ok, so after messing around a bit, I think I figured out the problem. I don't know why it is, but when I have the code for adding the skin to Pluto in, it causes the SoI problem. I took that part out and now it works fine, but I still have the KSC underground. It did that when I put a fresh install of RSS in as well. I have KSP version 0.23.5.464 and RSS v6.1. I'm pretty sure I didn't run out of memory. I checked with the task manager, and I still had a lot left (I'm pretty sure KSP can only use 4gb of ram, right? even with that, I still had a 1 or 2 gb left)

Ok, so after messing around a bit, I think I figured out the problem. I don't know why it is, but when I have the code for adding the skin to Pluto in, it causes the SoI problem. I took that part out and now it works fine, but I still have the KSC underground. It did that when I put a fresh install of RSS in as well. I have KSP version 0.23.5.464 and RSS v6.1. I'm pretty sure I didn't run out of memory. I checked with the task manager, and I still had a lot left (I'm pretty sure KSP can only use 4gb of ram, right? even with that, I still had a 1 or 2 gb left)

Me too, my KSC is underground and all planetary textures (Except Kerbin and the mun) Are missing?

WindShields, please post questions in this thread, not in this thread and a separate thread. They will get answered.

For those with KSC underground: increase your terrain detail level from Low to Default or High.

A bit shiny don't you think? That's the west side of Africa.

9WUF3WW.jpg

Also, since I got 0.23.5 my target markers and little squares when you're within a few hundred km of a vessel have vanished. They don't show up regardless what I do, isn't RSS related but maybe someone knows a solution beside a reinstall.

Found it, it's FLT_VESSEL_LABELS.

Edited by AndreyATGB

The inner planets in RSS (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter) have almost exactly the same relative spacing as the stock KSP planets, so the phase angle for launch windows is the same (http://ksp.olex.biz/). If you want Earth-Saturn or farther out transfers, the optimal phase angles are a little larger than Jupiter's 95 degrees (about 105-115 degrees). I can't really give specific dates since the mean anomalies don't work, but you could look for dates where the real planets are the same relative phase angle (for example, http://www.theplanetstoday.com/, make sure to select true planet spacings on the right).

But for anything farther out than Jupiter I would recommend using Jupiter as a gravity assist. Just launch like you normally would to Jupiter, but choose the launch window so that the destination planet is about 120-180 degrees ahead of Jupiter at launch. Then tweak your closest approach to Jupiter so that your post-Jupiter trajectory takes you to the other planet. Jupiter and the other giant planets can bend your trajectory in basically any direction.

Wait... so stock KSP launch planners work fine for the inner planets of RSS? Why does that seem like a stretch to me? Does this mean that the other planner will also work?

Edited by SpacedInvader