[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Finally have my scaled-space warping and caching correct. Check out how insane Bop looks now! (Since it's now only 20km in diameter, but the PQS's deformations are unchanged.)

Apologies for the darkness; didn't want to wait for sunlight.

FZLCYC3l.jpg

EDIT:

A plea to all RSS config makers!: Please switch to using a zip file with your RSS config, so you can include cached meshes with your config. Otherwise your users will have to wait 15+ minutes extra on first boot of the game.

Meanwhile, here's v6.2pre2 with working mesh caching. No meshes are included so your first load will be slow. Test it, break it, post logs.

NOTE: This DOES NOT include textures. So keep your old PluginData folder from your present RSS install.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lprkfiou0hg1ui/RealSolarSystem_v6.2pre2.zip

Provisional changelog:

*PQS->ScaledSpace wrapping now works and caches correctly. Wrap now defaults to false for backwards compatibility. RSS will export obj files (with extra lines using keyword t for vertex tangents) for all wrapped meshes, and import them (if they exist) instead of wrapping. NOTE: If you change any PQS settings (let alone changing RSS configs!) you MUST delete all .obj files in GameData/RealSolarSystem/PluginData! NOTE 2: If you don't already have cached meshes, and/or you delete them all, KSP WILL APPEAR TO HANG on the "Loading..." screen right before Main Menu. This is NORMAL. Let it run. It takes me about 15 minutes. After that, you'll get your usual load times.

*regex: fixed Space Center initial camera height (for when camera is under terrain)

*tons of launch sites from eggrobin!

*regex: fixes for KSCSwitcher; new icon; now saves and loads selected KSC location with your persistence file.

Edited by NathanKell

ok so i am losing the will to live trying to return my bio samples. i survive reentry and i have connection signal all the way thru then i lose connection and cant pop my chutes.

is there a idiots guide to tell me when to do re entry with my samples and have a connection i not care where i land as long as i land and get the points .

ok so i am losing the will to live trying to return my bio samples. i survive reentry and i have connection signal all the way thru then i lose connection and cant pop my chutes.

is there a idiots guide to tell me when to do re entry with my samples and have a connection i not care where i land as long as i land and get the points .

Use real chutes and arm them while in orbit. They will automatically deploy when you get to the right altitude / pressure depending on settings. Or you could put up your comsat constellation before you try again so you'll be sure to have your connection over the whole surface...

Use real chutes and arm them while in orbit. They will automatically deploy when you get to the right altitude / pressure depending on settings. Or you could put up your comsat constellation before you try again so you'll be sure to have your connection over the whole surface...

hey thanks old boy that worked a treat

Finally have my scaled-space warping and caching correct. Check out how insane Bop looks now! (Since it's now only 20km in diameter, but the PQS's deformations are unchanged.)

[. . .]

Meanwhile, here's v6.2pre2 with working mesh caching.

Hello..

Just tested this with clean game and some different configs (original RSS, my 6.4x Kerbin "remake") - in all cases the Scaled-space meshes were generated with ramdom unpredictable sizes, mostly smaller then resp. planets, Earth about 10-15% bigger. Also the camera zoom in map view sometimes encounters the invisible barrier that does not match with planet mesh. Can't see Mars satellites actually, camera gets stuck too far, but Kerbin-Earth can be passed through.

However, in v6.1 with generated meshes had no problems, so it can be considered as bug report, I guess.

[sorry for my "english", i'm an alien]

I've noticed this issue as well with many planets. Is there a certain line of code that can be added within a planet's PQS section in the config that can prevent the default deformity from being applied? I assume doing so would make the planet a perfect sphere, and therefore, only influenced by a heightmap which can be applied.

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap
{
heightMapOffset = 0
heightMapDeformity = 0
}

This should make perfect seal-level sphere. But custom heightmap must override stock, isn't it?

As far as I know, that is what controls the deformity of the custom heightmap, not the 'built-in' deformity.

I've messed with that in my config, and as seems to me, this code manages heightmap at all. Custom if it specified, stock otherwise. There's much more in stock landscape generation than just heightmaps, and in some cases (i.e. some of the bodies) most of it seems to be uncontrollable by RSS plugin configs.

and so i solve one problem only to be hit with another one.

i can not recover my bio probe. spent hrs getting it to land and now i cant recover it. on the bright side i am learning to swear in kerbalise. heheeh so any ideas from you clever chaps as to how to fix this ?

Hey. I thought I'd post this here because I've been trying to install RSS for the past weeks, and it keeps having the same error: I place it in the Gamedata folder, and when I open a previous save or a new one I just see the ground and no buildings (VAB, etc.). Now I've finally discovered that if you right click and go underground the buildings are there and they work! But then I tried launching a spaceplane from the SPH, and you can actually go a few meters into the air. However, after 4 or 5 seconds you will crash into the bottom of the ground. I will leave the link to some screenshots to illustrate my problem (lol). If anyone of you has had this problem (or if it has already been solved) please answer this post :) . Here's the link: http://ignorepleasedude.blogspot.com/2014/05/blog-post.html

Aaaaaand.... nothing o.O

just reworked 6.4x Kerbin system config, with some minor surprises inside, as old one outdated.

Get it here, if you dare: https://www.dropbox.com/s/360lharab2pv84c/6xKerbinSystem.zip

and give feedback.

This contains:

-Scale-up of stock world, with proper, close to stock, gameplay-ajusted orbital parameters. With some exceptions though

-Few custom locations for KSC, if you get bored with default one.

-Tweaked landscapes, mostly you'll get a good views on landings, but it possible to get sometimes boring flats, and sometimes a crasy screwed crap.

-Some "captured asteroids" (they already was there - Gilly, Bop.. Now they really asteroids.) Also a retrograde one.

-Eve becomes a true point-of-no-return.

Thanks to all who worked on RSS plugin and related configs.

Edited by ShadowDr

Hey. I thought I'd post this here because I've been trying to install RSS for the past weeks, and it keeps having the same error: I place it in the Gamedata folder, and when I open a previous save or a new one I just see the ground and no buildings (VAB, etc.). Now I've finally discovered that if you right click and go underground the buildings are there and they work! But then I tried launching a spaceplane from the SPH, and you can actually go a few meters into the air. However, after 4 or 5 seconds you will crash into the bottom of the ground. I will leave the link to some screenshots to illustrate my problem (lol). If anyone of you has had this problem (or if it has already been solved) please answer this post :) . Here's the link: http://ignorepleasedude.blogspot.com/2014/05/blog-post.html

Indeed, this problem has been solved. The solution is to turn your terrain detail setting up from low to default or high.

New video out of the switcher features, if you're interested:

Also, 6.4:1 Kerbin needs some love and a new config, I'll be compiling that today and it'll come with some new launch sites (7 total, at this time).

I wonder if somebody could give me a couple of tips about how to circulaize my orbit straight off of launch without a coast. I've been launching pretty successfully using gravity turns as described in the FAQ, but I always end up jockeying pitch to try and control my apogee while raising my perigee. This usually works pretty good right up until the last few seconds, at which time my apogee tends to go flying out into space and my perigee tends to stop lower than I want it, forcing me to waste more fuel later trying to circulaize at the altitude I want. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Lower twr upper stage. You want your stage to last a good minute or two more than your "time to apogee" at ignition (and burn at zero pitch). That may mean you circularize after apogee of course, but it gives you better control without relights.

Also make sure you ascend such that your apogee is where you want your final perigee to be, since that's what it will become.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwck1poc0ufilqx/RealSolarSystem_v6.2pre3.zip

I believe I have fixed wrapping issues. Note that that all objs are included for regular RSS; if you're using a different config you MUST delete RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/*.obj (all obj files) before starting KSP. It will then take about 20-30minutes to recreate the meshes, after which KSP will load normally.

To post issues, etc., during the forum downtime,

Use the RSS Subreddit