[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

NathanKell: I'll try removing NovaPunch, most of the engines in there are already covered by other Realism Overhaul mods. :) I might also try installing the lower res KW pack (I think there's one included with KW Rocketry).

Edit: there's no KW low res included with the pack; PolecatEZ has low res options but I'm not sure if they've been updated for 0.24.2.

Edited by Woopert

I haven't checked on any other planet but the altitude values of the moon seem to be off in my case… I only get really really bright maps on SCANsat (most of Moons surface is 8-12 km high) and the readings of my orbital and height values seem to be too high as well.

Did I do something wrong while installing or is this a bug in the latest version?

ferram4: I am going to download that version. If that doesn't work, I will delete that version and contact KSP.

Edited by CDK
Spelling Fix

Could someone explain to me why the moon's orbit is so inclined? On wikipedia, it says the moon's inclination is about 6 degrees. I haven't checked, but the moon's orbit on RSS looks about 20 degrees or so.

Just asking for someone to clear this up for me.

Could someone explain to me why the moon's orbit is so inclined? On wikipedia, it says the moon's inclination is about 6 degrees. I haven't checked, but the moon's orbit on RSS looks about 20 degrees or so.

Just asking for someone to clear this up for me.

This simulates axial tilt which we don't have in KSP, unfortunately.

Edited by regex
grammar and stuff because I'm getting senile-er by the minute

NathanKell: Even though it's for 24.2 it still doesn't work. Once I load the game up, a box pops up saying that I need Real Solar System updated.

and when you delete a mod run regestry cleaner before installing the new one it works for me

How exactly do you install the textures? It doesn't say anywhere.

I tried pasting the 4096-pack into the folder and the textures don't work. It gave me an error on startup about some ASI loader that I don't know about.

Edited by SuperWeegee4000

How exactly do you install the textures? It doesn't say anywhere.

I tried pasting the 4096-pack into the folder and the textures don't work. It gave me an error on startup about some ASI loader that I don't know about.

it does say read again

Help! I downloaded the RSS version that is 10 times smaller, the size of the vanilla kerbol system. But, there are no oceans at all. From map view, you can see Earth with oceans, but when you get close enough to the ground the Earth texture fades and the oceans are simply not there. It's actually quite funny; I launched a simple satellite, collected some Science, and tried to recover it by landing it in the ocean. To my horror, the ocean vanished when I got close and now my satellite is sitting on the seabed.

Interestingly enough, the 'seabed' is actually +300 meters above what is supposed to be sea level. So I guess it's a problem with the Earth's terrain. Is there a fixed version I can download? Or is there a way of increasing the sea level?

Help! I downloaded the RSS version that is 10 times smaller, the size of the vanilla kerbol system. But, there are no oceans at all. From map view, you can see Earth with oceans, but when you get close enough to the ground the Earth texture fades and the oceans are simply not there. It's actually quite funny; I launched a simple satellite, collected some Science, and tried to recover it by landing it in the ocean. To my horror, the ocean vanished when I got close and now my satellite is sitting on the seabed.

Interestingly enough, the 'seabed' is actually +300 meters above what is supposed to be sea level. So I guess it's a problem with the Earth's terrain. Is there a fixed version I can download? Or is there a way of increasing the sea level?

I too, have this problem.

http://imgur.com/a/nLY5n

I really don't want to be too annoying but is anyone else having problems with the moons altitudes?

I'm hitting the big East Crater while Kerbal Engineer and Mechjeb think that I'm still about 7000m above the ground (not sea level). Sea level is supposed to be around something like 14000m lower.

My SCANsat altitude maps are really really bright, the whole surface seems to be far above sea level.

Also my orbits look quite close to the moon in map view for their rated heights.

I already reinstalled the latest release and the textures.

EDIT: Earth seems to be OK, I can't say anything about other planets though.

From the OP:

New mask for city lights. Replace main.png in BoulderCo/CityLights/Textures. Note you need the latest Overhaul for them to work; will not work on EVE 7-3.

Does this refer to some kind of eve overhaul? I've been searching the thread and forums but I can't find a link to this anywhere.

Edit: Never mind I got it.

Edited by The Pink Ranger

Hey I noticed the atmospheric pressure using FAR is a little high. I'm getting about 1.2 atm at sea level (at Cape Canaveral) when it should be 1, and about 1/65 atm at 31km when it should be 1/100. Anyone know how to adjust the values? Is there a cfg somewhere I can edit to change this?

Edited by The Pink Ranger

Hey I noticed the atmospheric pressure using FAR is a little high. I'm getting about 1.2 atm at sea level (at Cape Canaveral) when it should be 1, and about 1/65 atm at 31km when it should be 1/100. Anyone know how to adjust the values? Is there a cfg somewhere I can edit to change this?

I don't think RSS uses FAR's atmospheric data, at least not yet.

How are you checking the pressure? With FAR itself? MechJeb or other engineering plugin?

I don't think RSS uses FAR's atmospheric data, at least not yet.

How are you checking the pressure? With FAR itself? MechJeb or other engineering plugin?

Yea using FAR's atm density display. It gives you decimals I just rounded to fractions to make it easier to compare with all the charts on google. Also gives you Pascals if you open up the flight data window.

Yea using FAR's atm density display. It gives you decimals I just rounded to fractions to make it easier to compare with all the charts on google. Also gives you Pascals if you open up the flight data window.

There's a difference between atmospheric density and atmospheric pressure. The density of air at sea level on Earth is about 1.2 kg/m^3. Density and pressure are kinda proportional to each other, but their ratio depends on the temperature and composition of the air(which might be different at different altitudes or on different planets).

Ok.

1. As metaphor says, what FAR shows regarding density is *density* not pressure. It defaults to "relative to Earth sea level" density and, if you click ABS, will change to kg/m^3.

2. The dynamic pressure readout you get in FAR's flight data window is dynamic pressure: 1/2 * density (kg/m^3) * velocity (m/s^2), which yields the pressure in Pascals above static pressure at that altitude that the forward surfaces of your vessel "feel."

Figure I'll chime in about an issue I'm having. Maybe someone else has mentioned this already, and I did skim the thread, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It's happening in both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions.

I'm running jsimmons' 10x stock Kerbol system. There are some clipping issues with the ground. When I'm dealing with kerbals walking around, or rovers, or parachute landers, it's fine - except everything (landing legs, landing gears, craft, kerbals) are about waist-deep into the ground. I've seen this on the Mun, as well. That in itself isn't really a problem; however, landing a plane on that ground is. If I try to land an aircraft on that ground, it simply falls through like the ground isn't there, and then shortly blows up. I can still land on the runway, so it's just a question of playing the game right... But in the long run, this is a problem (I mean, how can I land on Laythe, Duna, or Eve like this?), and I'm wondering what might be causing it. Is it because I don't have a high-res texture pack? I did actually install a higher-res texture of Kerbin, to make it look better, but it's not an official one, since I don't think there is one yet.

Anyway, yeah. I've found that if I land on a runway, and then slowly drive a plane off onto the ground, it seems to be working fine. I also tried an experiment with a particularly easy-to-fly glider, with a takeoff velocity of ~45m/sec. I "touched down" at just over 30m/sec, the bug still persisted: the plane fell through the ground and blew up. The ground also works for a little while if I'm taking off and the plane runs out of runway length. As is, the game is playable, but I'm wondering how to fix the issue. Maybe I should try the real solar system instead of the stock one, and see if that changes things.

Edited by DracovaXIV