[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Ok.

1. As metaphor says, what FAR shows regarding density is *density* not pressure. It defaults to "relative to Earth sea level" density and, if you click ABS, will change to kg/m^3.

2. The dynamic pressure readout you get in FAR's flight data window is dynamic pressure: 1/2 * density (kg/m^3) * velocity (m/s^2), which yields the pressure in Pascals above static pressure at that altitude that the forward surfaces of your vessel "feel."

Learning has occurred. I love this game.

Help! I downloaded the RSS version that is 10 times smaller, the size of the vanilla kerbol system. But, there are no oceans at all. From map view, you can see Earth with oceans, but when you get close enough to the ground the Earth texture fades and the oceans are simply not there. It's actually quite funny; I launched a simple satellite, collected some Science, and tried to recover it by landing it in the ocean. To my horror, the ocean vanished when I got close and now my satellite is sitting on the seabed.

Interestingly enough, the 'seabed' is actually +300 meters above what is supposed to be sea level. So I guess it's a problem with the Earth's terrain. Is there a fixed version I can download? Or is there a way of increasing the sea level?

Should be fixed now. Download and replace the config file again.

Metaphor: I'm not sure if these are issues with your config specifically but perhaps you could comment on them:

1. Jupiter still looks kinda green, like Jool.

2. Saturn has no rings.

3. Neptune does not exist.

4. The solar system plane is severely inclined relative to the galactic plane. Maybe this is true for real life, but would it be difficult to make it have a 0 degree inclination like the stock Kerbal system? I find it quite disorienting.

Metaphor: I'm not sure if these are issues with your config specifically but perhaps you could comment on them:

1. Jupiter still looks kinda green, like Jool.

2. Saturn has no rings.

3. Neptune does not exist.

4. The solar system plane is severely inclined relative to the galactic plane. Maybe this is true for real life, but would it be difficult to make it have a 0 degree inclination like the stock Kerbal system? I find it quite disorienting.

I'm not sure about the first point (might have something to do with the texture), but the other 3 are all part of the "stock" RSS config. All that my config does is make the bodies and orbits 10 times smaller.

(There's no rings in RSS yet. There's only so many planetary bodies available in the stock game and NathanKell chose to make one Pluto instead of Neptune. The inclination is relative to the Earth's equator, which is inclined by 23 degrees to the orbital plane.)

I'm not sure about the first point (might have something to do with the texture), but the other 3 are all part of the "stock" RSS config. All that my config does is make the bodies and orbits 10 times smaller.

(There's no rings in RSS yet. There's only so many planetary bodies available in the stock game and NathanKell chose to make one Pluto instead of Neptune. The inclination is relative to the Earth's equator, which is inclined by 23 degrees to the orbital plane.)

Is it still possible to get Neptune, and other moons in Real Solar System by using the Planet Factory mod? I haven't tried that yet. Should I?

Is it still possible to get Neptune, and other moons in Real Solar System by using the Planet Factory mod? I haven't tried that yet. Should I?

Nope, PF planets work bad with RSS 7.2 and 0.24.2. But you can got Neptune (only Neptune just now) by installing Copernicus System Editor and editing config of RSS for using that planet as Neptune.

Question: how does the 1/10th solar system affect dV values to LKO and beyond? I understand that there will be some change for travelling to the Moon/Mun, but about how much?

Since Kerbin is a little bigger than the stock one and the atmosphere is thicker, it will take a little more delta-v to get into orbit. As far as getting to the Moon/Mun, it's about the same as on stock (except you'll have to account for the inclination).

Since Kerbin is a little bigger than the stock one and the atmosphere is thicker, it will take a little more delta-v to get into orbit. As far as getting to the Moon/Mun, it's about the same as on stock (except you'll have to account for the inclination).

Oh good, So I won't need an ungodly sized rocket just to make orbit with stock sized parts?

I really don't want to be too annoying but is anyone else having problems with the moons altitudes?

I'm hitting the big East Crater while Kerbal Engineer and Mechjeb think that I'm still about 7000m above the ground (not sea level). Sea level is supposed to be around something like 14000m lower.

My SCANsat altitude maps are really really bright, the whole surface seems to be far above sea level.

Also my orbits look quite close to the moon in map view for their rated heights.

I already reinstalled the latest release and the textures.

EDIT: Earth seems to be OK, I can't say anything about other planets though.

Anyone here that could tell me if he has the same odd height readings on the moon? is this a bug?

Does anyone know of a plugin that'll show you when you're about to intersect the plane of your target's orbit PRE launch? (Longitude of the ascending node I think??) So far I've been eye balling it by going to map view, putting the target's orbit through the middle of Earth, and launching when I see my own vehicle cross the target's orbit. It works okay but I'm usually a few degrees off and it takes a LOT of dV to correct.

Edit: I know I can use mechjeb to launch into the plane of the target, but it doesn't work for space planes.

Edited by The Pink Ranger

Majorjim: then they won't be stock planets any more. Unless you resize them to be more or less proportional to their real counterparts (as the 1/10th config does) things will be *very* weird. I suggest trying the 1/10th config as that's closest to what you want.

The Pink Ranger: what do you mean by "it doesn't work for spaceplanes"?

Majorjim: then they won't be stock planets any more. Unless you resize them to be more or less proportional to their real counterparts (as the 1/10th config does) things will be *very* weird. I suggest trying the 1/10th config as that's closest to what you want.

The Pink Ranger: what do you mean by "it doesn't work for spaceplanes"?

Ok thank you for the reply. I suppose its possible to resize the textures.

The Pink Ranger: That's odd. Does the window not show up? Can you not click "launch into target plane"?

MajorJim: Why would you want to resize the textures?

What I'm talking about is the fact that if you want the new textures, they will completely change the terrain of the various planets. So in effect you *will* be getting the 1/10th real system from the OP.

Can you try to explain more what you want? How is it different from that?

The Pink Ranger: That's odd. Does the window not show up? Can you not click "launch into target plane"?

MajorJim: Why would you want to resize the textures?

What I'm talking about is the fact that if you want the new textures, they will completely change the terrain of the various planets. So in effect you *will* be getting the 1/10th real system from the OP.

Can you try to explain more what you want? How is it different from that?

Oops I just checked and it does still give you a count down. Anyway I was messing around with the custom window editor and got mechjeb to display the target's LAN and my own LAN which means I can time my launch perfectly now. Unfortunately it's still difficult to get my heading perfectly lined up with the target plane. Man I need to learn C#.

Edit: Okay I got it: Make a custom window with

1. Target LAN

2. Your LAN

3. Heading to target

Wait for the target LAN and your LAN to equal eachother then look at your heading to target. If the target is behind you subtract 180 from the indicated heading and get your prograde marker on the resulting heading. Should be just as accurate as any autopilot. I'm sure half of you already knew that but there ya go just in case.

Edited by The Pink Ranger

Ok thank you for the reply. I suppose its possible to resize the textures.

Majorjim, you could also try using the Earth textures with Texture Replacer. I mean, it's not actually changing the terrain then, but your view from a high orbit will look like Earth.

I know it's not the same as having the actual Earth, though. I think you would like full scale RSS, you'd be good at that, man. :) But, I think the 1/10 size Earth would be good for you needs. From some basic calculations I did, Kerbin's radius is ~10.63 times smaller than our actual Earth's.

Edited by Woopert

Well, you can subscribe to the relevant threads (top right corner, under "thread tools"; you can periodically check your subscriptions by clicking "settings" in the top-top right corner).

Other than that, I have no idea.

Well, you can subscribe to the relevant threads (top right corner, under "thread tools"; you can periodically check your subscriptions by clicking "settings" in the top-top right corner).

Other than that, I have no idea.

well i have tryed mod managers etc but they are confussing to use and they always mess up my install. i was wondering if i missed a update because i had it all running perfectly then for no reason every one on my saves just crashes , if i delete the saves it still crashes but sometimes works then crashes toatally random. i even completed the RPL tech tree and was getting well into my master plan then i loaded it up other day and bang a crash for no reason.