[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

RedAV8R: I know it's outdated, that's why I don't demand solution but rather politely ask for any suggestions :) In the KSP 0.24.2 Planet Factory doesn't work (or a least I couldn't get it to work) so there will be no Triton to cause problem.

metaphor: Good hint, I have never been to Ascension in 'stock' system to be sure if it was working there. Now I came up with an idea about editing the game files to swap Triton and maybe Charon. I'll see if this is going to work.

Good idea. That should just require changing a couple of names in the RSS config file.

More planets/moons should be available to put into RSS when the Kopernicus mod comes out, then we can stop using Planet Factory for the extras.

By the way, awesome job with the crewed missions to Callisto, Saturn's moons, and Mercury.

Now that I managed to get the logs for both cases here is the full report on the bug.

Win 7-64

KSP 24.2-32

RSS 7.3

RO 6.12

MM 2.3.5

MM 2.4.4 B9

All Realism Overhaul mods are from the current supported list and are the most recent versions availible.

Tested with both stated versions of module manager with the same result the latter appears not to be released for some reason yet but it was bundled this way with B9.

The game runs every second time with the bug from the picture above and crashes claiming to be out of memory every other time.

The probability of one of these things happening seems to be close to random for me.

One time actually the game started up with both the bug and some weird texture corruptions appearing but I can not reproduce this condition.

Previously the game was running good with the same amount of mods it currently has on this computer.

All this started with an attempt to reinstall the game.

Thank you.

This is the log for the crash on startup.

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/d4a6f0bc

And this is the working but bugged one.

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/9caf31d6

Edited by Kitspace

Yes I realize RO is made specifically for RSS and they are designed to more or less play together.

Essentially I don't think I want a lot of the RO changes. Real Fuels is pretty awesome, but adds a lot of complexity I'm not sure I'm ready for. Don't particularly like the limited throttling (I know it is realistic, but I do play to have fun and that doesn't sound fun to me). Those two things pretty much are core to RO so I can't exactly change them.

Don't have a issue with FAR. I use FAR, DRE and RT2 already.

I'm really just wondering if someone else out there wanted to play in a upscaled system, but didn't want to use RO and thus made a more stockalike overhaul.

I am currently running RSS, RF, KWR, and using the Stockalike config to adjust the weights/thrust to be more realistic. After using RF I found it to be much less complex than I expected. I too am not yet wanting to make the jump to full RO yet, and this is giving me a very playable experience while still making giving a much higher level of difficulty than stock. I do very highly recommend Procedural Parts and Procedural Fairings if you don't already have them as it allows you to get the tight size tanks and adapters that you need.

Kopernikus can currently clone planets, but with new names and global flight index. I think other than the fact that they look and behave the same way, they are unique planets to the original. I wonder if it is possible to use it to (in a bug free way) clone planets and then edit them with RSS. I realize that this would be less efficient then Kopernicus completed, but it would work better than PF, at least if there is no incompatibility.

Regarding the black body bug I know it wasn't fixed for CE but it was in the regular version I believe, which hasn't been downloadable since Spaceport went down.

Now that I managed to get the logs for both cases here is the full report on the bug.

Win 7-64

KSP 24.2-32

RSS 7.3

RO 6.12

MM 2.3.5

MM 2.4.4 B9

All Realism Overhaul mods are from the current supported list and are the most recent versions availible.

Tested with both stated versions of module manager with the same result the latter appears not to be released for some reason yet but it was bundled this way with B9.

The game runs every second time with the bug from the picture above and crashes claiming to be out of memory every other time.

The probability of one of these things happening seems to be close to random for me.

One time actually the game started up with both the bug and some weird texture corruptions appearing but I can not reproduce this condition.

Previously the game was running good with the same amount of mods it currently has on this computer.

All this started with an attempt to reinstall the game.

Thank you.

This is the log for the crash on startup.

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/d4a6f0bc

And this is the working but bugged one.

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/9caf31d6

I'm deducting 100 points from your score for selecting a downloading host that tried to trick me into running executables.

I'll look at the logs when I get a chance.

Edit:

Kitspace, you have still not replied to Kunzite or RedAV8R regarding what texture pack you've used or if you've tried a smaller pack as suggested so I am going to assume for the sake of expediency that you went with one too large. (both your log files have your PC choking when it gets to texture loading. In one log file it's Mun that it was unable to load (out of memory; KSP was able to continue but ceased parsing the RealSolarSystem.cfg file as I predicted) in the other it was Kerbin that it stopped at. (out of memory and hard crash; KSP does not continue execution at all))

Please download THIS texture pack and install it. Then try again.

Edited by Starwaster

@kitspace: Your issues coincided with the new update to B9 which changed the format of the textures. Perhaps now ATM isn't compressing the new textures as much as what it was able to do before. As it's been said before ATM isn't magic which allows you to run EVERYTHING. It simply allows a person to run more. There have been multiple suggestions, with the last being to REMOVE some mods or at least parts which you don't use. You have now been instructed three times to check WHICH texture pack you are using with RSS. I'll say again, each pack contains everything you need, and if you want you can mix/match. I personally am using high res for Earth, Moon, Mars, while low res for everything else. Memory requirements are relatively minor compared to that of the complete high pack, while still maintaining high res for most often visited bodies. I will repeat, yet again. THIS IS NOT A BUG WITH RSS.

ok chaps so first off what iam going to say is not a report of a problem cause i can live with it i just want someone to explain why it is so.

i have a full tech tree, yet i have some craft files which when load in the VAB dont assemble proper , which is not a problem as taking them apart and reassembling and learn how it all goes together is fun. However none of these craft i reassemble want to take off they absolty refuse to lift of from the pad via mec jab or manal , and yes there is fuel, electric charge etc to icnite the egines etc and yes i have comms disches on the craft and yet still no local control etc and some of them are manned. craft this apllies to is any SLS craft any fusteck dragon craft , some fasa craft and a few others which my old brain cant rememember oh the is a set of 3 craft files called Mars one which just wont load even thou the tech is all there , as i said its not a biggie to me i just want some clarifation as to why this is happening.

Hello again!

The small texture pack does help to fix the problem but unfortunately it does not look nearly as nice and cool.

But look at the specifications of my computer described at the beginning of each of my logs.

If this one is not enough to run the big one than actually what is? If this is the game limit not the computer limit than what do one need to do to run the complete big one? Stick to all the stock parts and never use any other mods any heavier than the size of a text file?

There is no offense on anyone really I am just asking.

Thank you!

ok chaps so first off what iam going to say is not a report of a problem cause i can live with it i just want someone to explain why it is so.

i have a full tech tree, yet i have some craft files which when load in the VAB dont assemble proper , which is not a problem as taking them apart and reassembling and learn how it all goes together is fun. However none of these craft i reassemble want to take off they absolty refuse to lift of from the pad via mec jab or manal , and yes there is fuel, electric charge etc to icnite the egines etc and yes i have comms disches on the craft and yet still no local control etc and some of them are manned. craft this apllies to is any SLS craft any fusteck dragon craft , some fasa craft and a few others which my old brain cant rememember oh the is a set of 3 craft files called Mars one which just wont load even thou the tech is all there , as i said its not a biggie to me i just want some clarifation as to why this is happening.

I'm betting you have Realism Overhaul. In which case, sizes have been change, fuels changed, etc, etc, etc. Craft files that come with the original mod are not going to work, you need to rebuild the craft from scratch. Just delete the old craft files. Any craft with TweakScaled parts also bombs when trying to load.

Hello again!

The small texture pack does help to fix the problem but unfortunately it does not look nearly as nice and cool.

But look at the specifications of my computer described at the beginning of each of my logs.

If this one is not enough to run the big one than actually what is? If this is the game limit not the computer limit than what do one need to do to run the complete big one? Stick to all the stock parts and never use any other mods any heavier than the size of a text file?

There is no offense on anyone really I am just asking.

Thank you!

You can drop your sarcasm. You asked us for help, we did 2-3 times, only after not listening and following directions did we get a bit snarky. So here is the rub with KSP. In it's current form only the 32-bit Win application is stable. There is the 64-bit, but it's not ready for primetime yet. Any 32-bit application has a memory limit. You've hit that, time and time again. This has little to do with your computer itself. For the 3rd or 4th time. If you want things to look a bit better you can mix and match texture packs. If you plan to visit a planet often, then use a higher set of texture FOR THAT PLANET ONLY. Just extract the 3-4 files for that one into the folder. If you don't run out of memory with everything else you have installed, then congrats.

It boils down to there is no way you will be able to run every mod you want on it's highest level and still expect it to run. At this time, it might be best to start thinking of function over eye candy. You can have one or the other, not both. If you can't accept that, then it's time to move on from playing KSP until things can be optimized better and/or 64-bit becomes much more stable. Or you can migrate over to linux as the 64-bit application is running a bit better on that platform.

Also I have heard that some of the configs as well as the Visual Enhancements can add proper rings to the outer planets.

Is this somehow based on the features of the mod plugin itself or completely third party? Just I have no idea how would one possibly make something orbit a planet without doing this through the Real solar system itself. How do they look like close up and do they actually exist or is it a merely visual feature?

Thank you.

Edited by Kitspace

I don't know of any rings done with the Environmental Visual Enhancements mod, the only rings I know of were done with Planet Factory, which no longer works in 24.2. But yeah, there were rings, although they were merely visual, you couldn't crash into them IIRC. Here's a picture:

hufqn6B.png

(that's a probe swinging by Saturn on its way to a (failed) Titan landing)

I'm betting you have Realism Overhaul. In which case, sizes have been change, fuels changed, etc, etc, etc. Craft files that come with the original mod are not going to work, you need to rebuild the craft from scratch. Just delete the old craft files. Any craft with TweakScaled parts also bombs when trying to load.

ok thanks i thought it was something like that but wast to sure.

Sorry, still not sure what you mean.

Are you saying you want Kerbin at 10.62x scale with all the other planets converted to real planets?

There exists no prebuilt config for that; your best bet would be to just use the Kerbin section of the 10x config, but the rest of the normal RSS config.

I am going to test my hypothesis of copernicus cloning with rss editing at some point today. I am going to basically copy Uranus and make it Neptune. (or the other way around) once I discover whether it works I will find the data needed.

If it does work do you mind, metaphor, if I use your textures?

Edited by braininator
Re-added the words auto-correct thought I didn't mean to put

Sorry, still not sure what you mean.

Are you saying you want Kerbin at 10.62x scale with all the other planets converted to real planets?

There exists no prebuilt config for that; your best bet would be to just use the Kerbin section of the 10x config, but the rest of the normal RSS config.

I just want normal, standard RealSolarSystem but without the earth colour and normal map. Just Kerbin rescaled to the same size as Earth. Like we did back when the mod was in the early stages of its development.

I just want normal, standard RealSolarSystem but without the earth colour and normal map. Just Kerbin rescaled to the same size as Earth. Like we did back when the mod was in the early stages of its development.

IMO you should download 10x Kerbol on the first page (by jsimmons) as that is the simplest solution if you don't want the new textures. And be done with it.

However, if you really want to take things back to how they used to be...

you need to edit RealSolarSystem.cfg and

1. Delete or comment out references to any textures you don't want. This is the important part and you need to have some idea of what you're doing or you can really mess up your config file. Back it up first.
  2. (optional) Delete the texture files from your hard drive so they're not taking up space. Please note that merely deleting the files without removing the references to them in step 1 is not enough and will cause errors when the RSS config nodes are parsed.

That should do what you want but to get decent looking terrain requires some PQSMod work .... last few versions I just jumped straight to 10xKerbol and I think there might be some custom PQSMods in the latest 'stock' RSS config these days? (I lost track of what the state of affairs was on that)

It works!!!!!

MUGyKxZ.png

Just ignore the fact that it looks like Uranus, with uranus' description and a completely random orbit... and that the code I used in RSS config is a copy with 2 names and one number tweaked..... That is... shall we say... placeholder.... :P

With Metaphor's permission, I will fill out Neptune and Uranus using his texture's and data tonight.

It works!!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/MUGyKxZ.png

Just ignore the fact that it looks like Uranus, with uranus' description and a completely random orbit... and that the code I used in RSS config is a copy with 2 names and one number tweaked..... That is... shall we say... placeholder.... :P

With Metaphor's permission, I will fill out Neptune and Uranus using his texture's and data tonight.

Go ahead, let me know if you want any help. Is that instantiating Neptune from scratch somehow, using Planet Factory, or Kopernicus, or some other mod?