[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Apologies that this release is so minor; I have been busy on other fronts recently.

Changelog

v7.4 \/

*Upgrade to ModuleManager 2.4.5.

*metaphor: add pressure/temperature curves for Jupiter.

*eggrobin: improve curves for solar panel power, Earth pressure and temperature.

*Use compatibility info, now.

Another public request: would someone(s) like to volunteer to help get the various launch sites fixed? They will need their height and angle changed to avoid the terrain problems that affect many of them.

Ah. Now I understand what you mean. This could explain it, even if the forces concerned probably shouldn't be big enough to rip the craft in two.

Quick back of the email calculation:

The craft was about 10t, so assuming Mars has 0.5g at the orbit of Phobos, and Phobos hat 0g, and half the craft was in phobos SOI and half in Mars, that would result in a force of about 25kN. Not that much, is it?

However, it can still be the reason, depending on how KSP calculates this. I didn't find a setting to change the SOI of Phobos.

No it does not work that way. A vessel is either in one SOI or another. Parts do not independently exist in an SOI by themselves.

Thanks Nathan. Good to know.

However, with SOI of 20,000m and 24,500 as boundary for warping, I cannot warp through Phobos' SOI. Is that adjustable somewhere?

Also: I am afraid I did not understand "or DRE pitches fits" ?

Hey nathan, i have a problem with RSS(and possibly RO) in that when i try to aim for geosynchronous orbit which should be at 35,786km like it is in the real world Mechjeb tells me i have an orbital period of 3ds 3hrs but when i drop to around 15,000km i get an orbital period of 1day. is there something i'm not doing correctly? i can prove pictures if it helps

Edited by Luscion

So...Update with New planet Progress.

Good news: I fixed it.

Bad news: I have no clue why what I did fixed it.

What I did: The second planet I made Kopernikus copy Tylo not Eeloo for Titania, even though it worked before I made Triton, also based on Eeloo.

I updated the zip file in dropbox that I sent Nathen Yesterday. I think it's basically ready for release.... Despite me not knowing why that fixed it.

My only guess as to why it fixed it is that RSS, or Kopernikus, or something else got Triton and Titania confused when both were made after Eeloo...

However, when *changing* SOIs, due to how KSP works, the forces are instantaneous but tremendous. This is why one needs to warp through them or DRE pitches fits (taniwha found this out the hard way).

Would it be possible to use the KJR stabilization that runs on exiting time warp to hold the craft together on an SOI change or would farram need to add that directly to KJR?

Yes, there is a simple mistake here. You have your game set to display "kerbin days" instead of "Earth days". Change the appropriate settings in main menu.

Thanks man, things are displaying properly now

Why do you want 7.3?

Pingopetes pack. And I'm currently assuming MM 2.4.5 doesn't work in x64. But I have that question posted in the MM thread.

Edit: And you answered that question lol. Ty once again

Edited by Motokid600

Nathan, is the cfg going to change in 8.0? I have not managed to download .25 ATM as the server was overloaded. Will my cfg break in the next version or can i release it before i get .25?

(Not pointed at nathan :P)

I have been gathering textures for a project I call AlternisSolar which is basically just a alternate realistic solar system. Now I just used a program called Star gen which uses a seed algorithm for a sun like star and produced a planetary system for it using the old nebula formation theory* and I like the look of this system. I have listed the general system overview... It does give a lot more info. Enough that using texture I have collected plus some new ones i will get, I can make it. Does it look good for everyone?

Stellar mass 1.00 solar masses

Stellar luminosity 1.00

Age 1.157 billion years

(8.843 billion left on main sequence)

Habitable ecosphere radius 1.000 AU (0.814 - 1.443 AU)

Planetary Overview

# Type Dist. Mass Radius

Rock 0.349 AU 0.044 EM 0.357 ER

Rock 0.522 AU 0.094 EM 0.459 ER

Rock 0.669 AU 0.412 EM 0.748 ER

Terrestrial 0.967 AU 0.336 EM 0.699 ER

Water 1.248 AU 2.344 EM 1.317 ER

Martian 1.565 AU 0.327 EM 0.693 ER

Jovian 2.667 AU 92.607 EM 6.753 ER

Jovian 5.583 AU 25.660 EM 4.939 ER

Martian 7.414 AU 0.185 EM 0.768 ER

GasDwarf 9.537 AU 1.695 EM 1.576 ER

Sub-Jovian 12.832 AU 4.518 EM 3.190 ER

Jovian 21.524 AU 62.994 EM 7.182 ER

Ice 28.094 AU 0.941 EM 1.306 ER

Rock 42.348 AU 0.141 EM 0.702 ER

Rock 49.166 AU 0.052 EM 0.504 ER

* I learned today that the nebular planatary formation theory is most likely completely wrong... But it's close enough.

Alright... Everything is compiled for a HD (the 8k variety) to be released now. However, I have one final question first. Licences... It uses CFG's for Kopernikus, which has a different licence to RSS I think, Metaphor's textures, though edited, as well as a lot of cfg code from you in the base CFG. What licence should I use? What can I use? Do I even need a licence?

Y'know how they say when you idiotproof something, nature'll provide a better idiot? That appears to be me.

Extracted RSS to GameData; there exists CustomBiomes, NASAmission, Squad, RealSolarSystem, and modulemanager 2.4.5.

And nothing changes. I know I don't have the texture pack but the planets should've moved around anyway, right?

What version of KSP are you running?

.25. I checked the mod-compatibility thread and didn't see it listed there either way. ModuleManager may be out of date but I tried it with the most recent version, 2.5, and it didn't work either, so =/

Yes. It's due to the limited (only 256 variations) heightmaps possible right now. In order to have decent accuracy in heights on the continents, I sacrficed about 5km of ocean depth.

v8.0

*Update to ModuleManager v2.5.0.

*Update to KSP 0.25.

*Removed some useless checks.

Note: As KSP 0.25 Win x64 has been deemed unstable by SQUAD, RSS is disabled on it for your protection. Please use 32bit KSP on Windows, or use Linux x64.

Edited by NathanKell

I found that it's not possible to land a plane outside the space center. The landing gears would sink into the ground and the plane explodes. Landing is only possible within a few km from the space center. This happens at any space center location. I was using 4096x heightmap. Strangely, this doesn't happen with a rover

After a brief test I found this still true