[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

So I downloaded the latest version, but when starting KSP it says that it is incompatible with 24.2. I wouldn't have reinstalled if kerbin had been in the right place. I had full size planets but kerbin was farthest from the sun. How do I make this work?

The latest version is compiled for 0.25, so I guess you should try 7.4 (on the Github, linked in the OP) if you're still running 0.24.2. Or update KSP to 0.25 (get with the times, mate :wink:).

Thanks to help from stupid_chris and Sarbian, I totally redid the RSS loader to use coroutines. This means:

1. No more "freezing" on the "Loading..." screen.

2. A GUI that shows progress loading RSS, on the main menu

3. Since it's done over multiple frames, garbage collection has time to run, which means much lower RAM spikes during loading.

What does 3 mean? Example: Before, after loading RSS I would end up at 2.8GB total. If I added any more parts (or planet textures), despite the likelihood of *ending up* below the ~3.4GB cutoff, RSS loading would spike usage over that. Now, it only spikes up by about a hundred MB (more or less unavoidable, due to loading uncompressed 8192x4096 images) so you should be able to have about 500MB more parts or planet textures. :)

That's great! The obvious question is... Could we use compressed textures? That seems like the obvious solution (and by obvious I know that basically means not going to work...)

Paul: It's automatic.

RedAV8R: Hah. Soon...

OnlyForSupport: welcome to the forums!

RSS V8.0+ is indeed only for KSP 0.25. If you want a prior version of RSS, click on the Github link in the OP and then click releases; you'll want 7.4 for KSP 0.24.2.

When you have the correct version of RSS, then please follow the directions in the How To Get Support thread. In particular I do need the correct log, and a list of all the mods you have and their versions.

braininator: Yes, the textures are compressed on load, always have been, just like all other textures, the exception being normal maps (which you have a choice to compress or not, see compressNormals line in RealSolarSystem.cfg). However, with Sarbian's dds loader it will be possible in *some* cases to load the texture as raw and stream it straight to memory without uncompressing.

That will not solve the real issue, however, which is that MapSO can't use compressed textures.

Edited by NathanKell

Without logs, literally no help can be provided, because I don't know what *to* provide.

Let's say you call up your mechanic, and tell her your car doesn't work...and then refuse to answer any questions about how it doesn't work, or let her examine it. Think your car will get fixed?

So are logs made even if the game doesn't crash? I told you whats happening. The planets are in the wrong places, kerbin is farthest from the sun. surely I'm not the first in 429 pages to have this issue.

http://i.imgur.com/b9YHQSF.png

Logs are always created unless you somehow disabled them.

Here is how to find your logs.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229-How-To-Get-Support-%28READ-FIRST%29

Well, that was interesting. Regular service has resumed.

Apologies to anyone who saw the late unpleasantness before it was removed, because boy howdy nobody needs to see that other than 13 year olds trying to shock each other with the grossness of the internet.

Well, that was interesting. Regular service has resumed.

Apologies to anyone who saw the late unpleasantness before it was removed, because boy howdy nobody needs to see that other than 13 year olds trying to shock each other with the grossness of the internet.

Time to break out the neuralyzer. Thanks to the mods for stamping on it quickly.

So are logs made even if the game doesn't crash? I told you whats happening. The planets are in the wrong places, kerbin is farthest from the sun. surely I'm not the first in 429 pages to have this issue.

http://i.imgur.com/b9YHQSF.png

Having the same problem here... Kerbin is the second farthest from the sun. I just did a fresh install. Weird.

Hey not to complain. Its not to see it out, But I noticed something really odd. I have not tried this form any other Launch sites but I tried launching form the Site in TX and well Things seem to work fine at the Default site. A few sec after launch the I get a change View message to the sun and the screen goes black, and even going back to the space port just shows the hud and a black screen... I think RSS is causing the problem. I tried doing a fresh install and re-modding it... Though I didnt thing that was the problem. only know when I tested at the same TX launch site it does the same thing only now I get a black screen even when trying to start a new game. I was going to try to check a few of the other sites... I really dont know whats going on... Most likely it is the nut behind my keyboard. any one else run into this problem? I am running ksp.25. rss 8.0 and all my mods are .25 compatible.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsvelfc3w0yqkuc/output_log.txt?dl=0

Edited by tmikesecrist3
Adding an output log Hope it makes more since to you all then it does to me

I downloaded it, but it doesn't rescale or put any new textures to any planet. I followed all the steps and did them but still did not work.:( Im using MAC.

Go to the first page and follow the link on how to report problems. Nathan can't fix anything if he doesn't have any information! :)

I read the log and I am seeing a large amounts of null references from Deadly Re-entry. ATM is also throwing a minor exception.. you have some agency issues... and it claims you are missing a file from MJ. One other thing... it's claiming it can't find the Toolbar DLL. However, the one thing I would check is Deadly re-entry. That is the error it reports before everything goes south.

Because that's the highest resolution texture we could find, and dimonnomid didn't have a chance to paint a higher resolution one.

We really know not all that much about the outer system; much is speculation.

Mounti: as I told OnlyForSupport, I need the log. Obviously something is breaking, but the only way to know *what* the error is, is for me to look at the log.

I made a nice little PF config for you all. Based on Metaphor's, but with some higher-res textures and a lot of updates.

Install RSS normal textures before installing this mod!

REQUIRES PLANETFACTORY

Link:

https://www./folder/tch03t81b5843/Augustus's_RSS_Config

I would like to download your RSS PlanetFactory config, but MediaFire wants me get "Pro Version" to download the whole folder. Is it possible if you could move the mod to somewhere else, like Dropbox where the whole folder could be downloaded without any payments etc. Thanks. :)

I made a nice little PF config for you all. Based on Metaphor's, but with some higher-res textures and a lot of updates.

Install RSS normal textures before installing this mod!

REQUIRES PLANETFACTORY

Link:

https://www./folder/tch03t81b5843/Augustus's_RSS_Config

I would like to download your RSS PlanetFactory config, but MediaFire wants me get "Pro Version" to download the whole folder. Is it possible if you could move the mod to somewhere else, like Dropbox where the whole folder could be downloaded without any payments etc. Thanks. :)

Oh hell yes. Please find an alternate means of distribution Augustus? Or maybe zipping the folder up into a single archive would be enough. Nobody else can download what you're offering without paying Mediafire.