[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Hi Nathan!

So I figure its time to port 10x kerbol to the latest RSS and I found some new behaviors that I don't know how to fix. First difference I noticed was that initialRotation seems to be ignored. Like stock the 10x setup has the KSC start out in day light but now it starts at night time which was the behavior when initialRotation was set to 100.1833 like you have for Earth but I set the initialRotation = 0. Next I noticed strange behavior for the positions of the planets. The values returned by TransferWindowPlanner are correct with the earlier RSS version but the latest is giving me crazy values like the next transfer window is 7 years in the future for eve. In this case I set the Epoch = 0 but something is going on with the epoch code that planets are in the wrong places.

Changelog

v8.2

*Finally fixed (I trust) all remaining issues from the loader rewrite

*Borrowed some PQSMod values from 6.4x Kerbin (kudos to Raptor831 et al)

jsimmons: per the last few posts there was a loader error, which I have now corrected. See if it works right now?

Hi, I sent you a PM for x64.

Thank you

Edit:

List of planets:

Mercury is represented by Moho

Venus is represented by Eve

Earth is represented by Kerbin

Moon is represented by Mun

Mars is represented by Duna

Phobos is represented by Bop

Deimos is represented by Gilly

Jupiter is represented by Jool

Io is represented by Pol

Europa is represented by Eeloo

Ganymede is represented by Tylo

Callisto is represented by Ike

Saturn is represented by Dres

Titan is represented by Laythe

Uranus is represented by Minmus

Pluto is represented by Vall

And Neptune?

Edited by Preliator

And Neptune?

There aren't enough celestial bodies in stock KSP to replicate the whole solar system, so Neptune (among others) is left out.

A mod like Kopernicus or PlanetFactory is needed to add extra bodies - here is a pack using Kopernicus to add Neptune and a couple of moons. IIRC PF doesn't work with newer versions of RSS any more, since it hasn't been updated/supported for quite some time.

It was pointed out that I posted this to the wrong thread, so yeah. I'm fairly certain I installed everything correctly, but earth's SOI is only 84,000 km, which isn't even as far out as the moon. it appears that the escape velocity for earth is accurate, but the SOI is too small. The same probably goes for every body in the kerbin system, but I haven't tested anything other than earth yet.

What you want to do is go to your install directory, KSP_Data, find the output_log.txt and upload it to a file sharing website, say, Mega or Dropbox, then link it here. That'll help diagnose the issue.

What you want to do is go to your install directory, KSP_Data, find the output_log.txt and upload it to a file sharing website, say, Mega or Dropbox, then link it here. That'll help diagnose the issue.

Alright, sure, thanks for the help. I thought I only needed the output_log.txt for crash reports. Here it is : https://www.dropbox.com/s/7v9x2r2exec3cym/output_log.txt?dl=0

Or read the OP's changelog, which says that was an error that was corrected. Always update to the latest version. :)

Oh, LOL. I thought I was up to date, I'll update now and see if the problem is fixed.

I never saw the specific error mentioned in the changelog, so I wasn't certain if it had been fixed yet. Unless it was this "*Finally fixed (I trust) all remaining issues from the loader rewrite". I did see that, But I wasn't sure it was referring to this problem.

Awesome mod by the way.

Malformed planetary nodes in REALSOLARSYSTEM can halt parsing in a way that isn't logged at all.

One way to see this is by removing the closing brace from a pressureCurve node.

Parsing of that planet then stops shortly after it processes the pressureCurve node. That node will still be parsed but all other nodes after wouldn't be found. (they'd probably end up inside of the pressureCurve node because of the way the ConfigNodes get parsed by KSP)

No errors or warnings result, all other planets get skipped and RSS goes to the final phase of computing orbits. I believe this is behind some of the more recent reports where only some planets show up in their new RSS orbits but the rest (such as Jool) occupy the inner orbits. (their original orbit in stock KSP)

I want to ask: how hard RSS relies on Realism Overhaul and other hardcore realism mods? I'd like to make myself a dedicated RSS build to fly in sandbox mode, but I want only FAR and DRE from the "list of recommended mods", and I definitely do not want Realism Overhaul. Obviously, I'll need RSS heatshields, but what scares me is many references to RO in that DRE config (the one from OP in DRE thread).

I was using the 8192 textures, I'm going to try a different resolution and see if that works. I'm doing this because the game loaded fine before I installed the textures.

edit: it worked, now using 4096 textures.

Edited by walkinator
To save space in the thread/ to avoid double posting

Aw, crap, I thought I mentioned it explicitly in the changelog. Oops. Like "Final orbit update fixed" or something. Sorry!

The crash is an out of memory crash. Lower the resolution of the planet textures, and/or reduce part mods, and/or increase the aggressiveness of ATM.

(if you start reading the file from the bottom up, you'll find "Unable to allocate memory" or suchlike)

biohazard15: Oh, it works fine. Just expect horrific payload fractions. Also you can make a copy of that DRE config and just remove the rescaling lines (if there are any) and the :FOR[RealismOverhaul] bits.

I want to ask: how hard RSS relies on Realism Overhaul and other hardcore realism mods? I'd like to make myself a dedicated RSS build to fly in sandbox mode, but I want only FAR and DRE from the "list of recommended mods", and I definitely do not want Realism Overhaul. Obviously, I'll need RSS heatshields, but what scares me is many references to RO in that DRE config (the one from OP in DRE thread).

RSS has very few technical dependencies. For any sort of good gameplay, however, you're going to want FAR or NEAR (preferably FAR) and probably RealFuels*, Procedural Parts, Kerbal Engineer or Mechjeb, and Procedural Fairings (possibly Zero Point fairings). Without those, your rockets will balloon to absurd sizes to fight through the souposphere with the absurdly overweight stock tanks and engines. I am personally enjoying the 6.4x config with all the above and the stockalike Real Fuels config.

*If you don't want to screw around with worrying about all the different fuel types, you might instead use the Isp balancer mod to improve the performance of stock parts.

Granted, your rockets will still be much larger than they used to be, but it's not as steep as going for the full RO experience right off the bat. For example, I'm working on an unmanned mission to bring 2 Science Jrs and 4 mystery goo pods to the Mun and back: the rocket currently has a mass of 1000 tons, and I'm still 1 km/s short of my delta-V target of 17.7 km/s. I shudder to think of what monster I would have to design with the full 10x scale RSS.

Hi!

I cannot seem to load the mod. As I type this, I am stuck on the menu screen. What is displayed is:

y7OKTID.png

I installed the 4096x2048 max textures and places them in my ksp/gamedata folder.

Am I being impatient, or is there something wrong with it? Thank you for reading.

I used RSS without RO for a while (because I didn't realize that I hadn't installed RO yet.) it works, but it is actually harder. Since all the engines are balanced for stock KSP, they are actually underpowered when everything is scaled up 10x. So basically, realism overhaul (and all mods associated with it) will make it easier for the most part.