[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Those blacked out bits make me very curious. I am all for being careful with your data, but for as far as I can tell there shouldn't be a lot to see in those places. Intriguing :)

It's just so when I go posting it around I don't accidentally spoil anything for people following @KSA_MissionCtrl (I have almost a 2-month lead time). The redacted bits are the times the mission events take place as well as the name of the mission

I find it odd how I am unable to play stock, I just get bored because it's too easy...

You aren't alone. I tried playing a career in stock. It was painful. I took a molniya sat contract and went through the entire launch-into-plane routine, only to realize that I needn't bother. Any basic rocket with 7000dv can get into literally any orbit from any launch.

I am waiting on the source for Custom Biomes so I can make it again default correctly, so there is no official RSS release package. However, the plugin is now working on .90, so the atmo modders can update their plugin. In addition I added the option to set `orbitCalc = false` in RealSolarSystem.cfg and that will disable redoing orbits.

You can get the dll from the repo in the first post; click on it, click on RealSolarSystem, then plugins.

I am waiting on the source for Custom Biomes so I can make it again default correctly, so there is no official RSS release package. However, the plugin is now working on .90, so the atmo modders can update their plugin. In addition I added the option to set `orbitCalc = false` in RealSolarSystem.cfg and that will disable redoing orbits.

You can get the dll from the repo in the first post; click on it, click on RealSolarSystem, then plugins.

Huge thanks Nathan! I can't give you all the reputation that you deserve. :(

He mentioned that technically the orbital period depends on the mass of the satellite, not just the primary. It'll be a tiny change for most things, but if you're going sensitive gravity assists or have let many years pass in game it'll matter.

Looking forward to the .90 release, I want to start seriously working on my insane-hard config. Is there any guide to the rss config format anywhere, beyond the information in the file itself.

So should be something like this?:

Laythe
{
AtmosphereFromGround
{
outerRadiusMult = 1.028
innerRadiusMult = 0.965
waveLength = 0.7510373, 0.6710546, 0.5759027, 0.8
[B] orbitCalc = false[/B]
}

Right?

Proot: Alas no.

This is what I meant. :)

REALSOLARSYSTEM
{
orbitCalc = false
Kerbin
{
// ....
}
Laythe
{
AtmosphereFromGround
{
outerRadiusMult = 1.028
innerRadiusMult = 0.965
waveLength = 0.7510373, 0.6710546, 0.5759027, 0.8
}
}
// etc
}

EDIT: cantab: there's some stuff on the wiki, but that's about it for docs. Want to write some? :D

Edited by NathanKell

Changelog

v8.4

*Update to 0.90.

*Update DDSLoader to 1.8.

*Fix caching (startup times will be much lower. NOTE: YOU MUST DELETE CACHE ON CHANGING RSS CONFIG).

*Restart main theme when RSS finishes loading (so you have an audio cue).

*Update Custom Biomes to my proprietary v1.7.1.

Hi NathanKell, im having some issues with loading past moho:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26414976/screenshot0.png

It gets stuck at this part. i get this issue even on a clean install.

How's your memory? You're most likely busting the 3.5GB limit. Try a lower resolution pack (the 4k and 8k textures chew memory) remove some parts (use procedural tanks) or try using opengl.

I get the same issue (if I delete the cache) on Moho, except on the 'Wrapping Mesh' portion. Thankfully it works fine with the included cache files.

EDIT: Memory usage is 2.1GB, this is literally just stock + RSS.

How's your memory? You're most likely busting the 3.5GB limit. Try a lower resolution pack (the 4k and 8k textures chew memory) remove some parts (use procedural tanks) or try using opengl.

im pretty sure a clean install with RSS wont bust the 3.5GB limit.... if you actually read my post.

For Moho loading: Open RealSolarSystem.cfg and correct the typo in it's HeightMap Link, (MercuryHeght.png should be MecuryHeight.png) - but i think that effects only non DDS texture installations.

edit:

im pretty sure a clean install with RSS wont bust the 3.5GB limit.... if you actually read my post.

That's not true. A 8k texture clean install on windows does hit the limit if you don't use DDS textures, DDS loader and openGL

edit2:

If you use DDS textures, install DDSLoader so it doesn't get stuck at loading Moho. It's not in Plugin archive somehow.

Edited by thyriel

i'll take your word for it then. :)

in anycase, i took a look at the log file, and apparently DDSloader was not loading, so i downloaded the DDSloader seperately and now RSS is working. i would have assumed DDS loader was included in RSS though. silly me.

ARGH, I totally did forget to add DDSLoader to the archive. Apologies. Repacked, should be good now.

thyriel: that typo is intentional: when I originally packed the textures, that typo was there, and rather than have people redownload hundreds of MB of textures, I changed the cfg to match the filename. Now that I have the DDS packs up (which use ModuleManager) it matters not at all what the filename in RealSolarSystem.cfg itself is. :)

Finally, regarding cache: if you delete cache, expect 20-40 minutes rebuilding. That's why I ship cached meshes with this, so you get fast load times. Don't assume RSS has frozen, if you are rebuilding cache, it takes ATM-level lengths of time. :]

Finally, regarding cache: if you delete cache, expect 20-40 minutes rebuilding. That's why I ship cached meshes with this, so you get fast load times. Don't assume RSS has frozen, if you are rebuilding cache, it takes ATM-level lengths of time. :]

Thanks for clearing that up - I actually just realized this myself by looking at the log and noticing it had moved on to Eve.

Any idea why i still have stock biomes ? (CustomBiomes Folder from RSS plugin is in GameData)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=359588284

edit: Interestingly, if i use normal RSS it has stock biomes. When i use my 1/10th size config it has earth biomes, but they are mirror-inverted

some others i checked meanwhile:

Moon: stock biomes

Venus: Biomes are mirror-inverted

Mars: mirror-inverted

Edited by thyriel

I have a problem on KSP 0.90! This mod takes forever to load. It's stuck on the Moho PQS_vertexheightmap or something like that. I opened KSP around one hour ago and it's still loading. I have a few mods installed all of them are at their latest. They are: Active Texture Manager, KER and Procedural Fairings

Thankyou for answering. Sorry for my 12YearOld Vocab.