[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Ralathon: working as designed. The original textures are loaded unreadable to save RAM, then when I need a texture for a vertex color map I have to reload it as readable, create the map, then unload the new copy of the texture.

Changelog

v8.5

*Fix Venus/Mars colors not showing up right (well, work around it...) NOTE YOU NEED THE DDS TEXTURES FOR THIS TO WORK.

*Fix editor extents/camera fixing

*Fix KSCSwitcher with a workaround. Each time you start KSP, the first time you load your save, you wll need to switch to a different site and then switch back. After that, it works fine.

*Updated CustomBiomes, flipped biome textures for correct bioming.

Thanks a lot for fixing the issue this quickly, I really appreciate it.

Felbourn: Trigger Au has a working prototype to show the Gregorian date ingame. For now, the game starts (sorry Goozeman) in 1951 (it *used* to be 1950, but 1950 = 1 was confusing and harder to do math with quickly, so 1951 = 1 now :) ).

To convert a KSP-date into UT it's very simple: (Year*365 + day) * 86400 + hour * 2600 + minute * 60 + second. (KSP uses 365-day years and 86400 second days only).

I've been running into this issue with the latest RSS in my realism overhaul savegame. The launch site icons, and some plugin icons like FAR, are totally blacked out. Is this because the latest ATM is borking things up or is this expected?

9vAuCyP.png

Ralathon: working as designed. The original textures are loaded unreadable to save RAM, then when I need a texture for a vertex color map I have to reload it as readable, create the map, then unload the new copy of the texture.

As i somewhat too have the feeling that it uses a lot more RAM now (couldn't get more then three 8k textures to run stable now and the rest is only 2k textures which was 4k before mostly). Is it normal that those use more RAM then harddrive diskspace ? Looks like it at least. My KSP uses 1.8GB when the first loading is finished (about 200 more then with 0.25), and ends with 2,9GB usage after RSS is done, but the RSS+Textures folder only has 450MB. (Folder 150MB smaller then 0.25, end RAM usage about 800 more MB)

I think if Squad hadn't collectively gone home for the holidays that they would have shut that down already.

it looks like it's just code injection, same things normal plugin dll.'s do.

Hello there. I am having a slight issue with the most recent version of RSS (Version 8.5) in that when I create a new game (From the main menu select New Game) I can access the tracking station, and change my launch site, (I prefer Cape Canaveral, but I change sites based on what I'm doing) and exit the tracking station, I can no longer access the tracking station, Launchpad, or Admin facility.

I am using Ubuntu 14.04 KSP .90 64bit.

Log

Kitspace: no. I really don't know why you might think that. As ferram said, please to a little research before tossing ideas/questions out there.

thyriel: KSP 0.90 seems to use a lot more RAM. I'm also wondering about what reenabling the wrapping caching caused, but I doubt it had a major effect.

von Ziegendorf: grab the TextureFix.cfg from the latest release and stick that in your old RSS folder. If you were using the DDS textures on KSP 0.25, that should fix things for you.

(Nothing is wrong with the textures; what's wrong is that for some reason, even though I disable PQSLandControl on Eve and Duna, Squad seems to be ignoring the disabling now. That means that takes precedence over the mapped vertex colors. The workaround is to remove the old vertex map mod, add a new one, and set it to be higher precedence than the LandControl mod.)

FinnishGameBox: there is literally a link in the top of the OP.

Taki117: You're sure this is 8.5, not 8.4? Dang. :(

That said, please upload the correct log.

As a workaround, save your game and reload it.

Taki117: You're sure this is 8.5, not 8.4? Dang. :(

That said, please upload the correct log.

As a workaround, save your game and reload it.

That is correct, 8.5, I will attempt to replicate on a clean install as well and post the correct log. For some reason I thought Linux was different.

EDIT: Saving and reloading on a clean install doesn't work. I'm looking for the correct logs, but as such no luck. I am using the 1/10th config if it makes any difference.

EDIT 2: Found my log.

Edited by Taki117

I don't see why the 1/10th config would make a difference. I'll look through the log and try to replicate, but when starting a new game with 8.5 I was not able to replicate the error (and thus released 8.5 claiming it fixed it). It'll be a few days before I am home however. Thank you for the log! :)

Sorry for the late response. Real life and stuff.

Anyway, if that's how its supposed to work its definitely not working correctly. I ran some tests today to check it:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

As you can see there's about 900Mb of unexpected data clogging the RAM with RSS 8.5. Since the 8k texture pack is about that size I suspect it fails to unload and ends up eating double the memory.

All tests ran in openGL.

Ralathon, you're missing that vertex color and biome maps are uncompressed (because KSP). Here's the memory usage for planets:

Scaled space mesh: trivial

Scaled space textures: these are the Color and NRM on disk (you can see the size)

PQS heightmap: the size of the dds.

PQS Vertex Color map: 6 times the size of the color dds file (or less than 6, if the color dds has mipmaps)

Biome map: 6MB

So let's consider the Moon, at 8192.

MoonColor: 28MB (16MB if no mip maps)

Moon_NRM: 28MB (16MB if no mip maps)

MoonHeight: 32MB

PQS Color: 96MB (the color map is loaded again to make it readable, and copied to MapSO for the vertex color map, then freed; the MapSO takes 96MB)

Biome: 6MB

Make more sense?

Ralathon, you're missing that vertex color and biome maps are uncompressed (because KSP). Here's the memory usage for planets:

Scaled space mesh: trivial

Scaled space textures: these are the Color and NRM on disk (you can see the size)

PQS heightmap: the size of the dds.

PQS Vertex Color map: 6 times the size of the color dds file (or less than 6, if the color dds has mipmaps)

Biome map: 6MB

So let's consider the Moon, at 8192.

MoonColor: 28MB (16MB if no mip maps)

Moon_NRM: 28MB (16MB if no mip maps)

MoonHeight: 32MB

PQS Color: 96MB (the color map is loaded again to make it readable, and copied to MapSO for the vertex color map, then freed; the MapSO takes 96MB)

Biome: 6MB

Make more sense?

No, sorry I still don't see why RSS would suddenly use 900Mb more in 0.90 than it did in 0.25 using the exact same texture pack. In that test the only difference is the version number for RSS and KSP, so I really don't understand what changed. What did you change that it suddenly needs that extra memory?

we think its a change in ksp ralathon

Stock KSP isn't eating that much more memory though. Look at the clean installs for both 0.25 and 0.90. Sure, it increased, but only by about 200 Mb.

Now look at the size RSS takes up on both installs:

0.25: 1804-878 = 926Mb for RSS

0.90: 2960-1078 = 1882Mb for RSS

So in 0.90 RSS suddenly uses more than twice the memory that it did in 0.25. Hence my earlier comments that I think its loading the textures twice.

how would we check that though

The exact way I checked it yesterday? The difference between stock 0.25 and stock 0.9 is 200 MB, the difference between RSS 0.25 and RSS 0.90 is 1.1Gb. So RSS adds 900Mb more than in the previous version. Since RSS is the only installed mod and we know that RSS has a mechanic that loads textures twice I think its rather likely that something about the unloading mechanic fails to work. I don't really understand how this can be ambiguous.

I think Ralathon is correct with his measurements of RAM usage. I repeated them with my actual texture folder (had to reduce it to 160MB meanwhile so KSP doesn't crash every 30 mins). The interesting thing is, with my 160MB texture folder RSS uses only ~150MB more in 0.90 then 0.25, if i replace that with 8k textures its about the same as Ralathons RAM usage. There just isn't any other explanation that RSS does something strange it doesn't do in 0.25 when 0.90 KSP+RSS with 2k textures uses only 1,3 GB (slightly more then 0.25) but with 8k textures it needs 3 GB while in 0.25 it was only 2/3rd of that. - The bigger the textures the more RAM it uses compared to 0.25, and it's always about double the size of the textures currently used.

On the other side, there seems to be some kind of memory leak, but i can't say yet it if it's in stock game or any of the mods, but even if i start with low res textures and an inital RAM usage of 2 GB (with all other mods), it gets more and more over time and somewhen crashes. I could therefor imagine that a bug in stock game prevents RSS textures to be unloaded when they should.

Edited by thyriel