[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

I noticed that reloading in the VAB and reverting flights would cause memory leaks when done enough in my 0.25 RSS install. Not large ones, but when repeated dozens of times they would build up and cause a crash (building a Venus lander is hard. Don't judge me).

So memory leaks did exist in 0.25 too, but they usually didn't bother people too much.

Checked Venus now on my 1/10th too and it's the same. Entering Atmosphere looks like i would crash into some violet water (could be intended it's a soupy atmosphere) and when i'm through that it's mostly white texture fading to some red on the edge:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=360484063

I will check now every planet / moon (wanted to do that anyway to ensure terrain is at it should be with my config file) and edit results in here.

edited results:

Perfectly working:

Mercury, Moon, Ganymede, Callisto, Titan, Pluto

(sidenote: Pluto's biomes don't work. CB shows the correct map and correct list + colors, plus biome debug (alt+f12) shows the CB map, but everything is considered "poles" biome somehow)

Visual Problems only:

Venus: Surface Texture missing - landing works

Mars: Texture fading out at around 110km until its completely red, landing works,Atmosphere from ground during day is black (no stars visible like during night)

Uranus: Atmosphere not visible during day (black sky like on Mars)

Landing problems:

Io: No visual problems but exploding - terrain attitude jumps from +260 to -440 the moment it explodes (crashed into pol), speed was at 3m/s only

Europa: Falling through ground, landed at -100m but can't move camera there, no visual problems.

Phobos & Deimos: exploding on touchdown

Would be great if someone could confirm me if Io and Europa are working in RSS or having the same issue. Not sure if that's a general problem or my config file.

No problems but inaccurate behavior i think:

Titan: Atmosphere seems to big with 600km titan vs 130km earth - wikipedia saying it should be 1.19 times as massive as earths. (would be rather strange if a moon thats only 3 times bigger then earths moon had an atmosphere almost as big as saturn or jupiter)

Jupiter / Saturn: flying inside the atmosphere (descending) on Saturn works, but getting under ~700km on Jupiter just makes *poof*. I guess they should behave more or less the same.

(all done now..Phobos & Deimos i tested now with them being normal RSS size (except semiMajorAxis reduced, both exploding on touchdown with surface)

edit 10 or so:

Engineer Redux showing Infinity Mm instead suicide burn was my own fault :/ Can't work when i use fuel debugger to check the planets ^^

I think the 600km height atmosphere for Titan is correct. Keep in mind that it's 1.19 times as massive in total and distributed over a much smaller surface, so it's 7.3 times more massive per surface area. If you doubled Earth's gravity, the atmosphere scale height would halve (as the weight of the above gas would double, hence the pressure doubles and the volume halves). Titan has lower gravity than Earth.

Earth's mesopause is at about 100km.

440px-Titan%27s_atmosphere.svg.png

(No, I don't want to work out where the mass density for Titan is equal to what it is on Earth at 130km. :P)

Edited by Namolis

Why doesn't the Real Solar System RSS config change the names of the planets? Is it because of the incompatibility with the stock science configs?

It breaks lots of things. Including but not limited to the stock science configs.

I`m not a hundred percent sure this belongs here as it pertains to Custom Biomes packaged with RSS. That said (and I`ll try to get a pic up when I can) the biome map is a mirror image of Earth.

As in reversed, you mean? It has to be reversed. In the game it comes out reverse of whatever the texture looks like.

As in reversed, you mean? It has to be reversed. In the game it comes out reverse of whatever the texture looks like.

Here's the pic.

SPddFMY.jpg?1

I don't usually mess around with Custom Biomes so this kinda threw me! (Just don't ask me to navigate by this map! :P)

On another note, thank you and the RSS team for the great mod!

Here's the pic.

http://i.imgur.com/SPddFMY.jpg?1

I don't usually mess around with Custom Biomes so this kinda threw me! (Just don't ask me to navigate by this map! :P)

On another note, thank you and the RSS team for the great mod!

Yes, that's intended. It has to be that way or in the game it would come out wrong. (if it looked the right way in your picture then it would be reversed in the game)

Sorry, but I have to post that. I've been trying to sort this stuff out for like 7 hours now. I have latest version of KSP and downloaded this version of rss - it came with custom biomes and something else - why?

However, on OP photo's it was nice shiny KSC on the bank of the sea. I have this.

yaCBvsk.pngIs there any way to fix this? I tried to delete the custom biomes, but it screwed up the game - everytime I launch the game it loads some textures for RSS (what for? weren't they loaded during preload or in-game loads?).

If you could, please help me ASAP.

By "something else" you mean the DDSLoader? That is to allow KSP to load .dds image files, which reduces the memory footprint and thus helps avoid crashes. Same with the textures loading after in-game loads - no, they are not loaded prior to that, and that is to avoid memory usage "peaks" and thus avoid out-of-memory crashes.

Your imgur picture appears not to work, but let me guess - does your KSC appear to be in a hole in the ground? That would be because you failed to read the instructions in the OP and download one of the texture packs. Or because you elected not to install the DDSLoader, which would render the KSP unable to load the proper textures.

Also, if I were you I'd reconsider my tone, NathanKell is doing this voluntarily in his free time and you are not paying him to do it. I will leave the question of what you can do with that "ASAP" of yours to your imagination.

Sorry my friend, didn't mean to be harsh :) I was tired and frustrated. Yes, this is indeed my problem. Thing is - I have the texture pack. Tried with each one of them separately, my machine can handle the largest pack no problemo. Also, different configs - with the dds, without, with custom biomes and without (thought it was the issue - so I focused my trials on that too much. You know - You use the mod on previous versions, now they give it with some custom biomes mod and everything goes south). Thing is, yes, I've used to have RSS on my... I don't know, .23? .23.5? Can't recall now.

Sorry again for my misbehavior.

Peace.

Sounds like an ATM issue, yes. Make sure you have textures set to 'full resolution' in KSP settings, not 'half' or 'quarter'--if it persists, post on the ATM thread...

I realize this has probably been dealt with, but I have .cfg files that will fix this. I`d be more than happy to share them-- they deal with how ATM handles menu icons.

Anyway, love the mod!

Edit: Finally got around to adding the Taepodong-1/2 facility (Musudan-Ri). It still needs to be tweaked, but after I impliment that, I will try to add the facility on the west side of the peninsula.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, I'm also going to implement the S. Korean facility as well eventually.

Edited by Fizwalker

Sorry my friend, didn't mean to be harsh :) I was tired and frustrated. Yes, this is indeed my problem. Thing is - I have the texture pack. Tried with each one of them separately, my machine can handle the largest pack no problemo. Also, different configs - with the dds, without, with custom biomes and without (thought it was the issue - so I focused my trials on that too much. You know - You use the mod on previous versions, now they give it with some custom biomes mod and everything goes south). Thing is, yes, I've used to have RSS on my... I don't know, .23? .23.5? Can't recall now.

Sorry again for my misbehavior.

Peace.

Sure, I can understand that. In any case, I use the up-to-date version and it works fine. Custom Biomes has been part of the package for quite a while now (ever since late 23.5 I think), and it never gave me problems, though obviously it doesn't mean it couldn't give it to you. It's hard to help you without screenshots or output logs, but I guess I can give you a few pointers based on what I know:

1. It's pointless to try it without the DDSLoader, as all of the default texture packs are in the DDS format now.

2. If you are on a Mac, stick with 4k textures, Macs are known to have problems handling 8k ones.

3. Please note that (as the OP clearly states) you should have your RSS textures in a separate folder, and NOT inside the RealSolarSystem folder as was the case in previous versions.

I hope that helps. If it doesn't, I think you will have to find your output_log.txt in your KSP_Data folder, upload it to some file-sharing website and post it here so that NathanKell can take a closer look.

Cheers,

Hattivat

Okay so I just installed a fresh new install of KSP .90 and I installed The Plugin, Planets, Textures and MM. But there seems to be some conflicts happening with the stock textures, so I have both textures on top of each other.

Also Neptune is missing.

Edited by CodeFantastic

@CodeFantastic: No. You botched the install. As simple as it is, you botched it. Read the OP carefully and fully. Follow the directions. Don't get fancy.

1. Extract the folders in the archive to KSP/GameData.

2. Extract the folder(s) in the pack to your KSP folder, this will create an RSSTextures folder in KSP/GameData/

List of planets:

Mercury is represented by Moho

Venus is represented by Eve

Earth is represented by Kerbin

Moon is represented by Mun

Mars is represented by Duna

Phobos is represented by Bop

Deimos is represented by Gilly

Jupiter is represented by Jool

Io is represented by Pol

Europa is represented by Eeloo

Ganymede is represented by Tylo

Callisto is represented by Ike

Saturn is represented by Dres

Titan is represented by Laythe

Uranus is represented by Minmus

Pluto is represented by Vall

Do you see Neptune on the list??? Then it must not be there.

I'm making planets/mod using RSS and I had a few questions:

1. What does 'maxAtmosphereAltitude' do? I can only influence where planet's atmosphere starts using 'atmosphereScaleHeight'.

2. I'm trying to make a superhot atmosphere a la Moho a few updates back. I'm guessing 'atmoshpereTemperatureMultiplier' would help, but even I set it to something like 100 the temperature of my atmosphere remains the same (0 degrees).

Thanks in advance

I'm making planets/mod using RSS and I had a few questions:

1. What does 'maxAtmosphereAltitude' do? I can only influence where planet's atmosphere starts using 'atmosphereScaleHeight'.

2. I'm trying to make a superhot atmosphere a la Moho a few updates back. I'm guessing 'atmoshpereTemperatureMultiplier' would help, but even I set it to something like 100 the temperature of my atmosphere remains the same (0 degrees).

Thanks in advance

1. It tells KSP where the atmosphere ends. However, typical stock atmosphere ends when the pressure reaches a particular value and then cuts off abruptly. UNLESS you use a pressure curve and turn the legacy atmosphere off. You can see how that's done in the RealSolarSystem.cfg file for Kerbin, Duna, etc. For non-legacy atmosphere's, the pressure curve's final key/value dictates where atmosphere really ends and at what pressure. (All the RSS ones end at 1pa). Note that even if you DO use a pressure curve that you should always set the maxAtmosphereAltitude so that other mods that depend on it can still accurately determine where the atmosphere is. (MJ is RSS friendly in that regard and checks for non-legacy atmosphere curves)
  2. If you're starting with a pre-existing RSS file then it's also using a temperature curve; the multiplier that you're experimenting with probably won't work with the curve.

Fizwalker: you should definitely post them on the ATM thread then!

And glad you got the launch site working. :)

Ralathon: there should be about 100MB extra memory usage in .90 due to all the new biomes Felger made (I think they weren't shipped for the final .25 version?) but as for the rest...yeesh. No idea. I'll dig some, but I can't imagine what could be doing that--one change was the wrapping caching, but that shouldn't be using extra memory...

Ralathon: there should be about 100MB extra memory usage in .90 due to all the new biomes Felger made (I think they weren't shipped for the final .25 version?) but as for the rest...yeesh. No idea. I'll dig some, but I can't imagine what could be doing that--one change was the wrapping caching, but that shouldn't be using extra memory...

Yea, I saw that. But it can't be the cause of any memory increase since I stripped out CB for the memory test. That's why I find it so suspicious that memory usage is twice as high.

I've been reading some scattered reports about memory leaks in KSP itself since 0.90. So it might be that Squad borked the unloading mechanic. I'm not tech savvy enough with KSP to test this myself, but it might be something worth looking into.

Edited by Ralathon

I'm sorry if this was asked, I tried searching this thread but had no such luck. Are there any config files to redo agency missions in .90 to match the RSS scaling? Launching a craft to hit 11Km is not much of a mile marker with Realism Overhaul, and (I haven't gotten this far yet, so I apologize if this isn't the case) I worry that the "create a base/satellite" missions may involve placing these objects in an orbit that isn't an orbit at all with a scaled solar system. If not, I can rewrite/scale some of these contracts myself, but I'd probably just place a multiplier on most distance related contracts. If I end up doing this, does anyone have any suggestions on how I should change said fields?

I don't know if it's a problem with Procedural Tanks, RO or RSS (will also post this in the corresponding threads) but I'm having huge problems with correct placement of my crafts on the Launch Pad.

My Sounding Rockets Avionics Package falls through the floor and explodes after some bouncing. My Procedural SRBs get placed on the Launch Pad as if they were always 2.5m long which results in them either falling or bouncing out of the floor high up into the air.

I can't really launch without the Launch Stability Enhancer that way.

Taki117: Have you loaded the new version for 1/10th I uploaded some days ago that includes the cache files ? (or if old version deleted the RSS cache)

I thought I did, however I have deleted the Cache (just in case) re-downloaded the package, and will start a new game as soon as KSP loads (I just got back from vacation where I was away from KSP)

Update: The issue persists despite the above.

Edited by Taki117