[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Is there a list out there somewhere of all PQS mod functions that can be used in RSS? I ask this because I'm having difficulty understanding what each PQS mod within the RSS config actually does. Some are simple, but others are more difficult to understand.

If there was some kind of documentation on this I feel it would greatly help people to be able to create their own configs.

Personally, I would absolutely love something like that too, but it surely is quite some work to make a proper documentation for all of them.

Some information can be found on NathanKell's github and some is also buried in this thread and others. Also *somewhere* there was a download floating around containing all the PQSMods in the default planets - though that is obviously not helpful in understanding how to use them precisely ._.

Personally, I would absolutely love something like that too, but it surely is quite some work to make a proper documentation for all of them.

Some information can be found on NathanKell's github and some is also buried in this thread and others. Also *somewhere* there was a download floating around containing all the PQSMods in the default planets - though that is obviously not helpful in understanding how to use them precisely ._.

Even that info on the stock planet's PQS mods would be helpful. From that you could figure out a number of things. I've gotta try and find it somehow...

Here's that zip. https://www.dropbox.com/s/x95wxmnbd7metxs/Components.zip?dl=0

As for docs...yeah. Mea culpa. Some of it should be on the RSS wiki, but I certainly don't have much in the way of *practical* documentation for the various Mods and their values; some I still don't know what they do, and some I do but the interaction of all the settings is...complex. A lot of them are based on LibNoise, so you can look at the LibNoise glossary for what various terms mean (like frequency, persistence, etc).

Hello Nathan Kell! You have some superb mods here, I've been using Realism Overhaul for about a month now and am having a blast.

I wrote an external program that searches for flybys in Kerbol System and now I am making a version that works for Real Solar System. I have a question:

Earth's semimajor axis seems a bit small. In RealSolarSystem.cfg it's 149,494,366.257 km. I know the actual value varies a bit over time but the JPL value is 149,597,870.7km. This means the Earth's sidereal year in RSS is about 8 hours short. I can think of reasons you might tweak the values but I want to make sure it's deliberate. The other planets all closely match their actual values.

Thanks for making these realism mods, they make an already exceptional game even better.

Um, if you're using Earth, you can't. There is no launch site in southern Colombia.

Yeah, i am dumb. Forgot to mention that i used 64k kerbin config (from Paul) and wasnt sure where to ask, i fugured it was a RSS feature so maybe you can help me.

Edit: I think i fugured it out, if someone experience something like this, deleting cache seems to help (.obj files)

Edited by mouzfun

Here's that zip. https://www.dropbox.com/s/x95wxmnbd7metxs/Components.zip?dl=0

As for docs...yeah. Mea culpa. Some of it should be on the RSS wiki, but I certainly don't have much in the way of *practical* documentation for the various Mods and their values; some I still don't know what they do, and some I do but the interaction of all the settings is...complex. A lot of them are based on LibNoise, so you can look at the LibNoise glossary for what various terms mean (like frequency, persistence, etc).

Thanks for that link Nathan. It's actually very useful.

On a (somewhat) unrelated note, I've noticed that Phobos (Bop) and Deimos (Gilly) have very strange surfaces. They are like staircases with alternating sections of flat and slope. As far as I can tell, this happens when the heightmap has large sections of the same valued pixel, thus generating flat areas. Is there some PQS function to smooth out this effect?

PLAD: I talked to eggrobin (who generated all the orbits off JPL data, albeit for barycentre) and he is looking into it. It might just be a typo. :]

And thanks so much! :)

mouzfun (and anyone else): whenever you swap between RSS and another config, if that config does not come with its own cache files, you will need to delete your cache and wait (for a long time...) as RSS regenerates it.

TheKutKu: not yet, really.

VonFrank: I have noticed that too. There's something screwy, but I haven't had a chance to investigate yet. I trust it is not PQS have a size minimum.

Neoph: there's a guide on the RSS wiki, if you want to add it feel free! Can always use help! :)

Any plans on implementing new launch sites? More especifically Centro de Lançamento Barreira do Inferno and Centro de Lançamento de Alcantâra, both located at Brazil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barreira_do_Inferno_Launch_Center

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alc%C3%A2ntara_Launch_Center

Neoph if you have trouble adding these yourself, let me know and I will try to help you...

Cheers,

wow installed this today and teh earth is so big contracts dont line up (Orbits) before ships that would be able to goto the moon and back barely escape the atmo. is there a way to not expand the planet sizes and still get the textures?

would love to use this mod... looks great! but then rl rockets made by FASA dont work like they were ment too. Mecury Rockets do not get to sub orbit and the gemini's run out of fuel way before they are ment too

Edited by cashaber

Wow. This is an awesome mod. A VERY, VERY difficult mod, but amazingly fun. Hey, invention thrives on challenge.

I do have some suggestions, and one bug report!

First off, the glitch. Basically, Deimos is a Kraken. I was sending missions to Phobos, Deimos, and Mars for my channel. Phobos was an awesome landing, as was Mars. However, anywhere I landed on Deimos involved the ship sinking into the ground and magically exploding. Using quickload I landed all over, the entire thing appears broken. Is this a known issue?

Now, my humble suggestions....

MORE OBJECTS!!!

More moons of the Gas Giants, first of all. Even the tiny ones are usually a lot bigger than Phobos and Deimos and would be great fun to try to land on.

AND, Kuiper Belt objects!!! Pluto's moons, especially Charon, are also bigger than Phobos and Deimos so can be justified. Then we have Makemake, Eris, heck, even Sedna. Is it possible to reach these planets? Well, if it is, it would be insanely hard, but challenge makes it fun.

Anyway, is this possible? I would try to make them myself if I could but I can't find any guides on planet creation.

That is very often due to limited resolution of the biome maps which is of course very noticeable on planets multiple times the size of kerbin.

If you like, you could take the biomes that come with the game and upscale them to higher resolution (note that'll bring with it a higher memory load on the game) You may also need to go in and compare it to the height map and color map and make sure everything lines up still at high resolution.

Excellent... No problem(s).

If you need any help on adding more sites or anything, just ask...

Cheers.

That is very often due to limited resolution of the biome maps which is of course very noticeable on planets multiple times the size of kerbin.

That might be correct.

Shouldn't the position be marked on the biome map? There is a small x but it's in the middle of the ocean…

No, biome maps in .90 are flipped but I forgot to also flip the x's position. Instead, just use Alt-F12 -> Show biome (you need to be in map view).

srbgaming, welcome to the forums! :)

And thanks so much!

What's needed for more objects is Kopernicus, but development of that has slowed down quite a bit.

As for Deimos, that is most odd. I really, really hope there isn't a minimum size for bodies...