[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

It's probably a Kopernicus issue.

Ive pinpointed what the issue is but not yet how to solve it. Basically, any other planet based off of the template planet you choose (for example Eeloo) gains the texture of the LAST planet that uses that texture.

So for me, I switched Sedna Eris and Dysnomia to Eeloo Moho and Tylo templates. Now, the three new comers look fine but Europa looks like Sedna, Mercury is Eris and Ganymede looks just like Dysnomia.

Weirdly enough it ONLY effects textures. So Mercury still has 3.7m/s^2 gravity but looks like a big Eris. I am not yet able to solve this issue, but am trying.

In short, currently it lets you use the last planet you use a template on but the others will have bad textures.

Ive pinpointed what the issue is but not yet how to solve it. Basically, any other planet based off of the template planet you choose (for example Eeloo) gains the texture of the LAST planet that uses that texture.

So for me, I switched Sedna Eris and Dysnomia to Eeloo Moho and Tylo templates. Now, the three new comers look fine but Europa looks like Sedna, Mercury is Eris and Ganymede looks just like Dysnomia.

Weirdly enough it ONLY effects textures. So Mercury still has 3.7m/s^2 gravity but looks like a big Eris. I am not yet able to solve this issue, but am trying.

In short, currently it lets you use the last planet you use a template on but the others will have bad textures.

In short, it is a dead end if this issue is not resolved.

It seems like that something doesn't like it when two texture sets are called by the cfg.

Is there a way to get a complete of KSP when it loads? It could help a lot

Well I know that Kopernicus packs from normal KSP work perfectly well on templates without reskinning the stock planets. Im thinking of looking at examples for stock ksp Kopernicus planet packs and seeing if they can be applied to this RSS problem.

Sadly there really arent good guides on making planets with KopernicusTech. Going to go post over there.

KSP names are because Squad uses a planet's name as its identifier (baaad) and then hardcodes checking them disturbingly often, i.e. you literally cannot recover a craft unless body.name == "Kerbin" (woooorse).

I understand this, but do the hardcoded bits only involve Kerbin? Because I would kill to get real body names in even if Earth is still "Kerbin".

For some reason, my fresh KSP install with realism overhaul gets stuck on the main screen (see http://i.imgur.com/kcCQynj.jpg ) either with "Eeloo 11/17" oder "Laythe 15/17" in the little popup window. The music is running, the Kerbal is moving and the Earth is spinning... but nothing more is happening. Any ideas how to fix this?

This is the list of mods I have installed: http://i.imgur.com/HPtDaaL.jpg

When CKAN prompted me for the texture pack I chose the biggest one. Can that be the reason?

EDIT: Yes it was, the 4K pack enabled me to finally load the install ;)

Edited by ShadowZone

I understand this, but do the hardcoded bits only involve Kerbin? Because I would kill to get real body names in even if Earth is still "Kerbin".

That was only an example. If you want another: Contracts.

And aside from stock, there's mods. Modders do it too. We have to because that is the system that is in place for us to use. FAR uses body names in a table that it keeps for atmospheric composition per planet. Recent versions of Deadly Reentry do the same. (so that a reentry to Jool, a gas giant composed largly of hydrogen, is different from Kerbin)

Who knows what else would break.

If you figure out the issue, please let me know.

The guy on that thread actually had a working RSS expansion he hasnt finished yet, but I don't know how he did it.

How i can remove some files from real solar system folder so it's back to Stock size ?

Because one of the mod added solar system folder but when i updated now and planets aren't stock size :( ?

Help!

That's the whole point of Real Solar System. It scales up the planets, including their orbits. And relocates them.

If you want a smaller star system, look on the front page, first post. There are alternate RSS configs you can use for different sized systems.

When I start the game for the first time it gets stuck at the main menu on

Editing Body Eve 3/17

PQS Eve

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap

Here's the modlist from Version Checker.

I used the default install on ckan.

KSP: 0.90 (Win32) - Unity: 4.5.5f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit

Filter Extensions - 1.17

Community Resource Pack - 0.3.3

Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.14.6

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.1

KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5

Procedural Parts - 1.0.2

RealChute - 1.2.6.3

RealismOverhaul - 8.0.1

RealSolarSystem - 8.5

Regolith - 0.1.6

RemoteTech - 1.6.3

SCANsat - 1.1

TextureReplacer - 2.2.5

Universal Storage - 1.0.90.2

When I start the game for the first time it gets stuck at the main menu on -snip-

I'm experiencing the same issue with Laythe.

[LOG 21:21:56.696] RSS searching for texture GameData/RSSTextures/TitanColor.dds

[LOG 21:21:56.718] RSS Loading local texture GameData/RSSTextures/TitanColor.dds

[EXC 21:21:56.791] OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory

MapSO.CreateRGB (UnityEngine.Texture2D tex)

MapSO.CreateMap (MapDepth depth, UnityEngine.Texture2D tex)

RealSolarSystem.RealSolarSystem+<LoadPQS>d__d.MoveNext ()

RealSolarSystem.RealSolarSystem+<LoadRSS>d__73.MoveNext ()

Quite likely that right there is your answer. Do you use the highest res textures? I can't imagine how else you would get OOM with a minimal RO install. Try using lower resolution textures, see if that helps.

EDIT: Removing the usual heap of unnecessary parts did the trick for me.

Edited by xrayfishx

This is just a general question that I thought perhaps the fine folk who frequent this thread might be able to help me out with.

I don't play RSS, I'll say that immediately, and don't know much about this mod, other then it swaps out the kerbin solar system, for our own. What I am looking for is a gameplay experience like stock for planet sizes/names and such, but I would like to have kerbin be slightly inclined, similar but not exactly like earth, perhaps half as much? And the mun be put on an inclined orbit. I mostly want to do these changes because I play with mech jeb, and don't do most of the orbital flight myself, it's more about how repetitive the "scenery" is. What is the easiest way to do this/most stable way?

Jupiter's axial tilt or its moons inclination is off. Its moons are orbiting closely to the equator irl. Ingame they seem to have a 30 degres inclination relative to the equator

It needs to be that way to simulate axial tilt.

In truth, there is no real axial tilt possible in KSP. So inclination has to be adjusted to give the illusion of axial tilt.

Got new planets and moons ingame hehehehe. Here is Ceres, from SpaceEngine
I feel bad saying this, but that's gonna be obsolete in a couple of months. But I think we're all looking forward to the pictures from Dawn.
It needs to be that way to simulate axial tilt.

In truth, there is no real axial tilt possible in KSP. So inclination has to be adjusted to give the illusion of axial tilt.

To expand, my understanding is that all bodies in KSP have parallel rotation axes. That means RSS!Jupiter has about the same 23.5° axial tilt as Earth.

The decision then needs to be made whether the orbits of Jupiter's moons are correct relative to Jupiter's equator, or correct relative to the ecliptic, since you can't have both. For spaceflight the latter is by far more important. Essentially you should see it as the orbits being right, but Jupiter (and the moons!) having the wrong axial tilt.

Has anyone made n RSS settings file without the axial tilt? Alternatively, do the old, pre-axial tilt settings files still work? And in this case what was the last version without the axial tilt? I really don't find this feature so interesting that I'm willing to accept its drawbacks unless it can't easily be reverted.

So from the sounds of it, having just a little bit of "axial tilt" isn't really possible in KSP?

Having any axial tilt is impossible in KSP.

The issue has been brought before Squad and last I recall was that they would look into it but who knows what will happen on their end.