[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Yes. Although since when is it purple now?

That means RSS-reconfigs will no longer work i suppose? (Not now and not with 1.0 RSS)

So... that means making a config with Kopernicus now, I think it has all options needed by now? Last time I checked the early dev version it wasn't quite capable yet...

Well, exploration time, got to update SKRX 1/7/4

Yes. Although since when is it purple now?

I had assumed the planets resembled their stock counterparts on the surface. Seeing is how ive yet to visit many. Although my last ( and first ) Venus trip made the ship purple from im guessing PlanetShine.

I've just started playing with RSS, looks like a massive and excellent piece of work. I found HiRez Valles Marineris at dawn particularly striking, the normal maps I imagine...

I was thinking about using the HiRez Mars maps as a 'skin' for stock Duna - does anyone have any advice re how to 'get that done'?

It looks to me from poking around stock install that there are no analogues to RSS height/normal/texture maps. I guess this means the path of least resistance is tweaking RSS. If I remove all the planets from the .cfg will it just 'leave them alone? Then I'd have to re-write the Duna section to reflect stock Duna, doess RSS use stock as the 'base definition' so I can just eliminate radius, mass, ... so they will fall back to whatever 'stock wants'? if so is it documented anywhere which bits of the RSS .cfg inherit from stock?

thanks in advance...

As mentioned upthread, RSS will be switching to using Kopernicus in 1.0. That will take some time. I plead patience. :]

Kopernicus? That's great news! I've still got my working 0.90 RSS build, so lots of patience here. :) Hopefully this works out well and doesn't cause you too many headaches.

Also, I'll be moving the KSCSwitcher code into its own mod soon....

Cool. Then I'll be able to stop maintaining my personal, slightly squirrelly fork of KSCSwitcher. (Though I expect you're still using Module Manager for config? Or are you moving away from that?)

As mentioned upthread, RSS will be switching to using Kopernicus in 1.0. That will take some time. I plead patience. :]

Ohhhhh. Does this mean we get Neptune and a few more moons? If so can I make a request for Iaptus? Tried doing that one myself once but it ended.... badly

Ohhhhh. Does this mean we get Neptune and a few more moons? If so can I make a request for Iaptus? Tried doing that one myself once but it ended.... badly

Kopernicus theoretically allows every body of the RL solar system to be represented, so I'd say it depends on how many they can add while maintaining the stability of the game.

Kopernicus theoretically allows every body of the RL solar system to be represented, so I'd say it depends on how many they can add while maintaining the stability of the game.

Someone had 50 bodies using KopernicusTech, which consumed way more memory. His game was pretty stable and he had plenty of mods.

But it's a difference between 50 Bodies with 2k textures and a low amount of Quads/Planet and 50 Bodies with 8k Textures and a high amount of Quads/Planet. You can't say that something works with Kopernicus without testing it good. So, yeah, we'll see how detailled Kopernicus-RSS is. :)

But most of the missing planets aren't that memory intensive.

Neptune doesn't have a surface, so no heightmaps or normal maps. And since it's a pretty boring blue sphere you don't need a 8k color map either.

Most of the missing moons and minor planets are really small, so you can get away with low res height and color maps without it looking bad.

So we can probably have a pretty complete solar system once Kopernicus-RSS gets up and running.

So I read the RSS will be making the swap to using Kopernicus so that all bodies can better be represented in the game. What about the RSS plugin itself though, for just re scaling planets. Will that be updated for use in 1.0? If so, will that come any sooner than the full package with all the planets?

Is it possible to change KSC place ? For example in French Guyana (Kourou), Baikonour, etc...?

Long since I've played RSS, you should be able to see and select launch sites from the tracking station.

Sahadara: that's why it's switching to Kopernicus, to use that method of loading/modifying the existing bodies. New bodies will come later.

Does the new Kopernicus enable for the changing of size of stock bodies?

Sahadara: Always has, AFAIK.

Oh OK. I just remember when I was setting up my save with RSS and Kopernicus that people said it was best to use Kopernicus to add in new bodies and RSS to modify them and existing ones. So if I just want to scale up the stock system, I don't even need RSS? I could just use Kopernicus?

Love RSS, thank you so much for it. I'm having a persistent issue though that seems to be inherent to RSS (fresh, bare-bone install did not resolve). I'm not savvy enough to know exactly what is happening, so here are screenshots.

http://imgur.com/a/95qlC

I saw a very similar glitch was posted by Pingopete last year, but I couldn't find a resolution. Is there a fix for this?

http://s21.postimg.org/h1eke41gn/screenshot5.png

That's not to do with RSS, sorry nathan.. again it's my mod causing trouble. It happens when you switch directly to an orbiting vehicle before the game loads the PQS (i.e. going to launchpad/runway). Try going to runway/launchpad when starting the game and then switching to orbiting satellites. Unfortunatelly I don't think this is something I can fix but is inherent in the EVE overhaul .dlls

This will probably get ignored but is there anyway to just change the Mun to the Real Moon? And nothing else? I just mean visually like the terrain and textures.

Thanks for your help!