[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

I blame myself for spoiling the game with this mod to the point that I can't take stock KSP seriously anymore.

Now everyone is all hype for 1.0+ and I'm just sitting here like... what's even the point, man?

will take some time. I plead patience. :]

*gunshot*

I blame myself for spoiling the game with this mod to the point that I can't take stock KSP seriously anymore.

Now everyone is all hype for 1.0+ and I'm just sitting here like... what's even the point, man?

*gunshot*

Still playing 0.90 also, can't play without RSS and RO anymore! :D

Cool. Then I'll be able to stop maintaining my personal, slightly squirrelly fork of KSCSwitcher. (Though I expect you're still using Module Manager for config? Or are you moving away from that?)
Yes, it will still have a LAUNCHSITES node.

E: Sorry, it's being moved to a KSCSWITCHER node. Anyway, same sort of thing. Also going to be a bit before it's out, I need to figure out a good scheme for loading certain data.

Edited by regex

From the TextureReplacer thread:

I've got a feature request. Not sure if this a good time, what with the update and all, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Seasons via replacement of the grass textures used on kerbin. It would be set up so that the effect is opposite on the north and south hemispheres. I know there is no axial tilt in the game, but this is just to add some extra visual variety to the player during launches and low orbits. So the idea is to use a de-saturated white/gray version of the grass textures for winter, a slightly red shifted one for fall, and a slightly blue shifted one for spring. Then divide kerbin's orbit into four areas, and rotate the textures around the planet according to the position in the orbit.

I have created my own custom .cfg for RSS which maintains the stock system with added simulated axial tilt via relative inclination of the entire kolar system by 24 degrees. The means all the planets and moons gain an axial tilt of 24 degrees relative to the ecliptical in the ksp frame of reference. I maintained the maintained the variety in the inclinations of all the bodies, and the diversity in the LAN, while keeping a "stock" feel. This will add navigational, planning, and visual diversity from the stock experience, to coincide with the update to 1.0.2. It would be amazing to synchronize this effect with that RSS .cfg so that you actually have seasons...

They mentioned in response to this post that RSS may be a more suitable solution for replacing grass textures on kerbin. Also would be easier to ensure synchronization with my orbital .cfg for axial tilt through the RSS plugin.

Guest Darth Gerbil

Will switching to kopernicus allow the game to run faster? If not, why is rss switching to kopernicus?

RSS is switching to Kopernicus because:

1. RSS started life as a hack, and thus is a bear to maintain.

2. RSS can't add planets, it can only change existing ones.

3. RSS doesn't work on 1.0 without major surgery, and I'd rather invest that time in improving a mod that's fuller-featured, does stuff the "right" way, and (thus) works on 1.0.

In other news:

#HypeTricycle

d51S5JHl.jpg

zVq1BAFl.jpg

I'm looking forward to this mod and the entire Realism overhaul. I only purchased KSP on release and have already spent 60 hours on there. I started searching for mods about halfway through my time on KSP, and got really excited about things being more realistic, our own solar system and more planets and what not.

Imagine my disappointment when I realised it only works on 0.9. Felt like I've missed out on a huge thing. I've also been sat waiting patiently for the latest update. I know it must be tough for those who are used to RSS and the Realism Overhaul, then updated and can't go back. Imagine how it is for me knowing this is the mod set I am most looking foward to, but as a new player a lot of stuff I am "learning" is a waste :P

3. RSS doesn't work on 1.0 without major surgery, and I'd rather invest that time in improving a mod that's fuller-featured, does stuff the "right" way, and (thus) works on 1.0.

In other news:

#HypeTricycle

http://i.imgur.com/d51S5JHl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zVq1BAFl.jpg

Looks awesome! !!!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm looking forward to this mod and the entire Realism overhaul. I only purchased KSP on release and have already spent 60 hours on there. I started searching for mods about halfway through my time on KSP, and got really excited about things being more realistic, our own solar system and more planets and what not.

Imagine my disappointment when I realised it only works on 0.9. Felt like I've missed out on a huge thing. I've also been sat waiting patiently for the latest update. I know it must be tough for those who are used to RSS and the Realism Overhaul, then updated and can't go back. Imagine how it is for me knowing this is the mod set I am most looking foward to, but as a new player a lot of stuff I am "learning" is a waste :P

If you purchased from the KSP site I think you can dl .90 if you felt compelled.

You want to know what kind of effect RSS has had on me? I need high-res textures and a good set of parts. 32-bits is not good enough for this w/ RSS. Clouds and ground and planety goodness and all that. And my exiting laptop doesn't like linux. Doesn't like it one bit.

So I've actually ordered a dedicated linux laptop just so I can run 64-bit KSP w/ RSS/RO. Ordered it just now. Fast shipping. On its way.

I'd blame you, but I'll be having too much fun once it arrives. :)

Welcome to the forums, and to the realism community! Let me ease your worry by pointing out by only starting to play KSP just now you have saved yourself a lot more wasteful "learning". Stock KSP used to be much, much worse when it comes to realism. And as someone already pointed out above, you should in fact have the option to download 0.90 (I know steam allowed to use the last major version a while back, probably still true now) if you felt desperately in need of more realism. Probably not advisable though, given that some of the mods have already been updated, meaning you would have to work for outdated versions.

Can't wait. I've experimented with this mod before, but never did any better than LEO. Really looking forward to this. I hate how I feel like I haven't gone far at all when orbiting Kerbin.

Can't wait. I've experimented with this mod before, but never did any better than LEO. Really looking forward to this. I hate how I feel like I haven't gone far at all when orbiting Kerbin.

I've managed some orbits, docking, and a lunar flyby, but never a full moon landing and never left BigKerbin's SOI.

And as someone already pointed out above, you should in fact have the option to download 0.90 (I know steam allowed to use the last major version a while back, probably still true now)

I purchased through steam and it's already gone 1.0 > 1.01 > 1.02. I was under the impression Steam only allowed you to roll back to the previous?

In other news:

#HypeTricycle

I'm joinning the #HypeTricycle too!

Nathan is there a Github repo for this new project?

In other news:

#HypeTricycle

http://i.imgur.com/d51S5JHl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zVq1BAFl.jpg

Looking forward to the arrival of the Hype Tricycle. Its surprising how wrong it feels to play Stock after using RSS for so long. I keep thinking I'm in a very high orbit, while I'm just in an 80km LKO. My rockets are constantly overengineered and burns feel way too short.