[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

I have been slowly adding planets (and moons) to the new Kopernicus RSS over the past week. It is relatively straight forward for the planets and moons that had configurations in past RSS versions. If you can get the pieces NathanKell linked above to work together (they currently contain 1.0 Earth and the Moon) then you can probably start following the pattern to add planets and moons. I am basically taking information from the previous RSS config file and re-formatting them to fit the Kopernicus mold.

Adding planets and moons that were not in the previous RSS will be possible, but more work. New bodies will need height maps, surface maps and a normal map like the existing planets currently have.

@stratochief66 Sorry if I'm clueless but do you have a link to the Earth Moon one?

I used Kopernicus to make a Kuiper Belt/Scattered Disc expansion in .90, but I'd like to add all of the Ice Giant moons this time around.

I have been slowly adding planets (and moons) to the new Kopernicus RSS over the past week. It is relatively straight forward for the planets and moons that had configurations in past RSS versions. If you can get the pieces NathanKell linked above to work together (they currently contain 1.0 Earth and the Moon) then you can probably start following the pattern to add planets and moons. I am basically taking information from the previous RSS config file and re-formatting them to fit the Kopernicus mold.

Adding planets and moons that were not in the previous RSS will be possible, but more work. New bodies will need height maps, surface maps and a normal map like the existing planets currently have.

Github dev version available?

Here's the new RSS repo: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem

Note it requires the latest Kopernicus from here: https://github.com/ThomasKerman/Kopernicus/tree/development (no dll in the repo AFAIK).

If I use this to start setting up a Remote Tech constellation just around Earth's orbit, will it be broken by future updates for the rest of the Solar system?

Here's the new RSS repo: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem

Note it requires the latest Kopernicus from here: https://github.com/ThomasKerman/Kopernicus/tree/development (no dll in the repo AFAIK).

RE: Kopernicus .dll - I think it's in /Distribution/GameData/Kopernicus/Plugins/ (GitHub link: https://github.com/ThomasKerman/Kopernicus/tree/development/Distribution/GameData/Kopernicus/Plugins

At least that looks like the latest .dll, but I'm not sure.

How exactly is the Earth/Moon RSS installed? I got it along with Kopernicus and it just launches into a stock system. Is there a custom Kopernicus I'm missing?

Also, I've noticed that there are two configs in RSS, one RSSKopernicus and then another that is just the old RSS config with all of the planets minus Neptune. Which one is in use?

1. The Kopernicus dll that Raptor linked to is outdated.

2. You need the whole Kopernicus folder

3. The old RealSolarSystem.cfg is basically ignored, except for camera-related stuff. It's in the process of being cannibalized.

I would not expect save compatibility with even upcoming changes, let alone final release.

This is really an ActualRSS query, but I figured here might be a good place to ask.

Does anyone know of some accessible aerocapture simulation software for Mars? I know of HyperPASS and ACAPs but I've not been able to get hold of either.

I guess there is an outside chance that RSS+FAR (or some other mods) is 'actually not to unrealistic' - does anyone know for sure one way or the other?

This is really an ActualRSS query, but I figured here might be a good place to ask.

Does anyone know of some accessible aerocapture simulation software for Mars? I know of HyperPASS and ACAPs but I've not been able to get hold of either.

I guess there is an outside chance that RSS+FAR (or some other mods) is 'actually not to unrealistic' - does anyone know for sure one way or the other?

You could try this for a quick approximation.

Hello.

Testing this mod, even with setting higher than I usually play with (terrain detail to high and so on) places the entire KSC under the ground. I can't see or click on any of the buildings, but if I move the camera around, the terrain glitches and transparent bands appear allowing me to see the KSC under the ground.

I'm using the dev build with kopernicus on a clean install from 14/05

Hello.

Testing this mod, even with setting higher than I usually play with (terrain detail to high and so on) places the entire KSC under the ground. I can't see or click on any of the buildings, but if I move the camera around, the terrain glitches and transparent bands appear allowing me to see the KSC under the ground.

I'm using the dev build with kopernicus on a clean install from 14/05

Make sure your terrain detail setting in KSP's Settings menu (Graphics Settings) is set to Medium/Default or higher. - If you use the 8192 textures, set it to maximum.

Make sure you are running Active Texture Management and you are not running over the RAM limit.

Make sure you have installed RSS exactly as specified in the readme; you haven't renamed folders, or placed the RealSolarSystem folder in another folder, or anything like that.

Make sure your terrain detail setting in KSP's Settings menu (Graphics Settings) is set to Medium/Default or higher. - If you use the 8192 textures, set it to maximum.

Make sure you are running Active Texture Management and you are not running over the RAM limit.

Make sure you have installed RSS exactly as specified in the readme; you haven't renamed folders, or placed the RealSolarSystem folder in another folder, or anything like that.

Installed it just like I did in 9.0 :(

On a clean game, I put Kopernicus and RSS only. When I loaded the game, the Earth and Moon are the correct sizes and distance from each other. However, even with terrain detail at maximum, I couldn't click on any KSC building.

Installed it just like I did in 9.0 :(

On a clean game, I put Kopernicus and RSS only. When I loaded the game, the Earth and Moon are the correct sizes and distance from each other. However, even with terrain detail at maximum, I couldn't click on any KSC building.

Try using a different resolution then I guess. That was stolen from the FAQ.

From the github page, do I download everything as .zip and extract into Gamedata, or do I only put Kopernicus in Gamedata?

You'll need to use a compiler to turn the source files into an updated .dll file. Apparently, the .dll that's included is not from the latest source files.

NathanKell, when you want to be president of the world, i'll vote for you.

Until then, i shall be patient and wait the Real Solar System for 1.0.2.

The sadest thing is the day i wanted to use your chef d'oeuvre on my vanilla KSP, was the day when steam updated the game and RSS was no longer operational on the 1.0

Apologize for my poor english.

I'm from the Earth.

And thank you again to you creator of this, and to everyones who helped make this possible.

Just checking in.

I see you've started work on Mars. Will you move on to its tiny moons next, or complete the planets first?

@NathanKell, if you are doing Deimos again in 1.0, be sure to take a look at it carefully. The 0.90 version would eat your ship upon landing, resulting in explosions, death, and tears after losing such an expensive mission.