[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Ok so i played around with RSS and it was perfect, so i now added the Overhault to let me do things easier in RSS, but, with all mods needed, i end up having crash issues when i recover vessel or other such things.

So I'd like to know if there is a stock size RSS so i dont need anything else than RSS, no Overhault, no real engine, no real chutes, no new parts and all.

So if there is a stock size rss it would be awesome.

Ps: i was so in love with RSS that when things messed up because of all other mods needed, i raged quit and uninstalled the game, i'll install a proper stock size RSS if there is one.

Edited by Loup

Ok so i played around with RSS and it was perfect, so i now added the Overhault to let me do things easier in RSS, but, with all mods needed, i end up having crash issues when i recover vessel or other such things.

So I'd like to know if there is a stock size RSS so i dont need anything else than RSS, no Overhault, no real engine, no real chutes, no new parts and all.

So if there is a stock size rss it would be awesome.

Ps: i was so in love with RSS that when things messed up because of all other mods needed, i raged quit and uninstalled the game, i'll install a proper stock size RSS if there is one.

Have you tried installing RSS/RO via CKAN? That guarantees that all the correct dependencies get installed. Make sure you're not hitting any RAM limitations (eg. avoid 4k-8k textures if you're not running 64-bit on linux), and delete parts from mods that you don't strictly need. For example, I have both AIES and KW Rocketry installed but I deleted everything but the Engines and RCS folders from both. Procedural Parts will fill the fuel tank gap without spamming your VAB with a ton of parts.

You definitely need RealismOverhaul, as stock engines, tanks, and fuels are made heavier and with less thrust to compensate for Kerbin's 1/10th scale. RO and RF give you lighter, more powerful engines / fuels as found in the real world. Playing with stock engines in RSS will be unnecessarily difficult.

Hello Jrandom, thank you for helping me, so i have 64 bit windows and 8go ram , i installed via CKAN.

You are telling me even on a stock size RSS i would need RO and real engines? cause i was thinking the delta v would be the same for the earth with kerbal size, than for stock kerbal itself?

Btw i didnt have this bug when i was playing with early RSS a few days before the update, i didnt use any mod, no RO or else,i used 8k textures, all was fine, even if that was indeed crazy to get in orbit with such powerless engines, but again thats what i was talking about, to repeat myself in the same message lol, i though a RSS with the stock kerbol system size, would have a stock delta v needed?

My english is far from being great sorry for that, i hope you understand what i'm talking about ^^

After, i dont know if such a mod is in work, i'm not asking to anyone to do this for me, just want to know if that exist.

Ps: I used with Ckan the mods listed in green on the RO thread, was a proper install.

Edited by Loup
better english (omg)

Setting up an Ubuntu dual boot with Windows so I can play 64 bit KSP and get the 8K textures with mods. Looking forward to it.

One question, are 16K textures even possible in the context of this mod? How much memory would this use? Maybe for just one or two planets?

Quick note those who want to use Contract Configurator with RSS. In general, Contract Configurator supports RSS and planet packs, but contract packs usually need to give consideration to RSS (which among other things means not using references to imaginary places like "Kerbin" or "Mun").

The following is the list of contract packs that do support RSS:

If your favourite contract pack isn't on the list above... go to their thread and ask for RSS support. In some cases it may only be a few minor changes required. In others it may be a huge overhaul - depends on the individual contract pack.

Oh, and although the above do work, I can't comment on how balanced the rewards are within an RSS, RO or RP-0 game - that's a whole other can of worms.

I've benn waiting for a stable release for 1.0.2 and now I get it:D this is awsome also I'm using 8192 textures and testing RVE on hacked win64 bit and runs perfectly. I'll update my beta contract pack for using with this:)

Is there a delta-V map for Real Solar System (using FAR/RO)? I just found out my two stage moon lander is slightly oversized with 6k Delta-V.

Or at least some aproximation what kind of D-V requirements are needed for those systems? I'd really apreciate some help, I'm totally at a loss about how much D-V i need in RSS, I know real rockets need just below 10k D/V to low orbit and that's about it.

Is there a delta-V map for Real Solar System (using FAR/RO)? I just found out my two stage moon lander is slightly oversized with 6k Delta-V.

Or at least some aproximation what kind of D-V requirements are needed for those systems? I'd really apreciate some help, I'm totally at a loss about how much D-V i need in RSS, I know real rockets need just below 10k D/V to low orbit and that's about it.

I think you would need a real DV chart because sizes and distances are the same

I've benn waiting for a stable release for 1.0.2 and now I get it:D this is awsome also I'm using 8192 textures and testing RVE on hacked win64 bit and runs perfectly. I'll update my beta contract pack for using with this:)

Mind sharing link to working RVE? :P

Hey Cosmo, from my understanding RVE only works for Earth, it doesn't work for other planets for version 1.02. Can you confirm that RVE does not add clouds to Venus? I can't get clouds on other planets except Earth since RSS update for 1.02.

NathanKell:

Coming across a slight problem wrt to reduced SAS wheels ?

As Squad haven't bothered to fix the PID for node locking, and RO has reduced the wheel effects, this results in a large wastage (maybe unrealistic) of RCS fuel, while the craft wobbles around like a telly tubby on ice - never actually centering on the node.

Wouldn't it be an idea to nudge the wheel effects up a bit, to compensate for this ?

:wink:

Mind sharing link to working RVE? :P

There isn't an official link but you can download it from here https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-0.90 the install instructions are on the readme. just jump the dds loader part. There is a fix to rss that is on the comments of the dev thread

Hey Cosmo, from my understanding RVE only works for Earth, it doesn't work for other planets for version 1.02. Can you confirm that RVE does not add clouds to Venus? I can't get clouds on other planets except Earth since RSS update for 1.02.

I'll test now I'll tell you later

EDIT: Yep, just the Earth have couds

Edited by CosmoBro

There isn't an official link but you can download it from here https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-0.90 the install instructions are on the readme. just jump the dds loader part. There is a fix to rss that is on the comments of the dev thread

I'll test now I'll tell you later

EDIT: Yep, just the Earth have couds

Damn, looks like were all in the same boat here. Thanks for the test!

I played RSS on .90 and I have been looking forward to RSS on 1.0.2. So... Yeah jumped at it when I finally saw it was updated! (Love the mod btw) That said, I found a bug. I originally installed this with a bunch of mods, but I have found the problem with only RSS installed.

KSP: 1.0.2 Linux 64Bit OS: Linux Mint Debian 17.1

Problem: Alternate Launch Sites do not load so are not selectable. They do not appear in the Tracking Station.

Mods Installed:

RSS 10.0.1

Kopernicus (Bundled with RSS 10.0.1)

Module Manager 2.6.5

Reproduction Steps:

1.) Start with a fresh install of KSP 1.0.2

2.) Install RSS as instructed

3.) Start KSP

4.) Enter the Tracking Station. No launch sites are displayed. No menu options are presented.

Log File https://www.dropbox.com/s/qi0qwltkd834hc2/Player.log?dl=0

Edited by Fizwalker

My Linux install didn't work at all, but I decided to just try 8K textures with OpenGL on 32 bit Windows. And they work! Occasional crashes but the mod is beautiful.

I made a first module of the Bigelow Lunar station concept and put it into orbit around the moon: http://imgur.com/a/B3nc8

What do you mean didn't work at all? Like at all at all, or just it didn't work with RSS? Because that would be strange, the RSS 8k textures work fine for me on the 64bit version on Linux. Installed with CKAN along with a million other mods ofcourse. Haven't had major problems. Anyway it should work fine, you could try it again.

What do you mean didn't work at all? Like at all at all, or just it didn't work with RSS? Because that would be strange, the RSS 8k textures work fine for me on the 64bit version on Linux. Installed with CKAN along with a million other mods ofcourse. Haven't had major problems. Anyway it should work fine, you could try it again.

KSP was completely broken, mods or not. Space Center was glitched and the VAB was just a blue screen. It may have been an issue with GPU Drivers but I couldn't install them off of NVIDIA's site. But just using OpenGL works pretty well for me, a crash only sets me back about a minute if I quicksave a lot.

KSP was completely broken, mods or not. Space Center was glitched and the VAB was just a blue screen. It may have been an issue with GPU Drivers but I couldn't install them off of NVIDIA's site. But just using OpenGL works pretty well for me, a crash only sets me back about a minute if I quicksave a lot.

That's all good if you are fine with using openGL on Windows. But it might be an easy fix, it sounds like the same issue this guy had:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104965-%28Ubuntu-14-04%29-Dissapearing-Kerbin-at-the-Space-Center-Lag-Bluescreen-VAB

Also don't forget that if you want anti-aliasing on Linux, and you probably will, you can't just turn it on in the KSP settings, you have to force it on in your graphic card driver. Atleast it was that way for me. Sorry for off topic and all. Slightly more on topic, if you ask me it's totally worth it, the high res EVE and textures are great. Can't wait for RVE to be updated!

Edited by Poeleke