[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

I'm currently testing a heat shield configuration what I have high hopes will withstand an RSS reentry. If it works ok I'll post it here.

It should work until Realism Overhaul or Deadly Reentry come out. (where I'll do a similar patch for games that don't have RO installed)

attempt #1 failed.... back to the drawing board

Edited by Starwaster

I did a sandbox test with reentry heat set to 30%. Successful reentry with stock 1.25m heat shield from 300km orbit with ~60 ablator burnoff.

would that also allow reentry of a shuttle or other large & light winged bodies? or do they still overheat before there's sufficient drag/lift for aerodynamics to have an effect?

would that also allow reentry of a shuttle or other large & light winged bodies? or do they still overheat before there's sufficient drag/lift for aerodynamics to have an effect?

That I don't know, but I would think a skim orbit ~150km into an atmospheric flight should allow the vessel to slow enough. I calculated about 28% but the game would only allow 20 or 30 so I rounded to 30%. 20% would certainly give a greater margin of error.

Squad cheated glitched patch 1.0.3, craft cant survive aerobreaking with speed above 5-6 km/s, I watched blowing crafts near Eve and Jool, and, of course, they will never survive in RSS. Squad, ...?

Congrats on the update to KSP1.0.x :)

Been doing some work on a temporary port of RVE for KSP0.9 to KSP1.0.4 & RSS10.x with a suprising amount of success! :)

http://imgur.com/a/Us97L

nice very nice i will love to get my hand on cfg, texture & rest of file, to bad u not up a dev version on github :P

Squad cheated glitched patch 1.0.3, craft cant survive aerobreaking with speed above 5-6 km/s, I watched blowing crafts near Eve and Jool, and, of course, they will never survive in RSS. Squad, ...?

Not having this problem. Have you tried updating to 1.0.4?

May I get some help with a weird problem I have ?

I tried installing this mod with ckan on linux but somehow I still have the kerbol system. It looks like planet earth's texture when I'm on the ground but when I zoom out the texture switches to kerbin. And when I'm in space or in the tracking station, the system is kerbol system (except that when i mouse over kerbin the name is earth)

It's almost like I have the kerbol system with a planet earth overlapping kerbin. I don't really know how to describe it accurately.

I tried going back to ksp 1.0.2 and rss 10.0.1 but it still does the same (the only difference is that my KSC is in the middle of an ocean in 1.0.4 and in the middle of mountains in 1.0.2)

The mods I have installed are kopernicus, module manager, Real solar system and rss's textures 2048x1024. I've been trying to figure out how to solve this problem for hours but I couldn't do it. Does anyone have any clue about what could cause that ?

Edit : Hmm, that's weird. I though I was doing it with a clean install but I tried again and apparently it works now. Maybe it was a conflict because of the order I installed the mods.

Edited by columini

My steam updated game to 1.0.4, and on moderate difficulty everything blowned up...

Ah ha, that could possibly be something. There might be a setting on Moderate that is sneaking in. I always use Custom because I want full control of everything :) I'll do a cheat just to stick a plane in orbit to do a reentry to see how it works. :)

May I get some help with a weird problem I have ?

I tried installing this mod with ckan on linux but somehow I still have the kerbol system. It looks like planet earth's texture when I'm on the ground but when I zoom out the texture switches to kerbin. And when I'm in space or in the tracking station, the system is kerbol system (except that when i mouse over kerbin the name is earth)

It's almost like I have the kerbol system with a planet earth overlapping kerbin. I don't really know how to describe it accurately.

I tried going back to ksp 1.0.2 and rss 10.0.1 but it still does the same (the only difference is that my KSC is in the middle of an ocean in 1.0.4 and in the middle of mountains in 1.0.2)

The mods I have installed are kopernicus, module manager, Real solar system and rss's textures 2048x1024. I've been trying to figure out how to solve this problem for hours but I couldn't do it. Does anyone have any clue about what could cause that ?

Edit : Hmm, that's weird. I though I was doing it with a clean install but I tried again and apparently it works now. Maybe it was a conflict because of the order I installed the mods.

I had the same problem too. I narrowed it down to first play after install. When you install it, and play it for the first time, I experienced these issues. So naturally, what I did when I quit the game was to re-install everything again in case I made a mistake, and so I had the same issues again after reinstall.

But if you play it a second time and onwards after the that first install then it seems to stop with these issues and become "stable".

Just cheated an airplane into orbit to try reentry with 20% heat setting. The fixed gear overheated which wasn't too surprising but the plane itself survived reentry from 186km Ap with a negative Pa. A better ship design or reentry profile might work better but it at least appears possible with RSS installed.

What's the specific formatting of the .DDS textures used by RSS? I'm trying to add Vesta, and it shows up in game, but the scaled space view of it is all white. Also, the texture file itself is much larger than those for all other included planets & moons (10.6mb vs 1.33mb). The texture files are the same resolution, so it not that.

Are there specific parameters the image must be exported with in order for it to be recognized by the game? Is this a question that is better to ask over at the Kopernicus thread? I'm using GIMP, by the way.

Thanks.

It should actually be easier (a little easier anyway) to aerobrake/aerocapture over Jool/Jupiter in RSS than in stock 1.0.4 because the atmospheric density is lower, just like Jupiter.

I have the same problem. RSS, FAR and real fuels installed.

I tried a command pod equipped with 12 heatshields. 150kmx80km reentry orbit - the (detached) launch rocket completely desintegrated at 96 km (first parts exploded at 100 km at orbital speed)

pod 1st heat shield ablator was half depleted at 88km with still 7440 m/s

pod 1st heat shield exploded at 82km with 7420 m/s

pod 2nd heat shield ablator was half depleted at 77 km with 7399 m/s

pod 2nd heat shield (as well as all other shields + pod) explodes at 73 km with 7358 m/s

deceleration at that point aproximately 1 m/s²

I'm surprised your ship survived the detonation of the first heat shield. I don't understand why a ship can "lithobrake" but still have parts survive, but when a heat shield that is intended to be burned off gets burned off, the whole ship blows up.

Squad moves in mysterious ways.

I had the same problem too. I narrowed it down to first play after install. When you install it, and play it for the first time, I experienced these issues. So naturally, what I did when I quit the game was to re-install everything again in case I made a mistake, and so I had the same issues again after reinstall.

But if you play it a second time and onwards after the that first install then it seems to stop with these issues and become "stable".

Okay, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately after further investigation it looks like it works opposite with me : It's fine the first time but doesn't work the next times.

Then I though this might be linked to a stock bug that I have since 1.0 (due to my controller apparently) where my settings keep resetting each time I start the game (this bug : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/118981-Settings-keep-resetting or http://steamcommunity.com/app/220200/discussions/0/620712364031370446/?insideModal=1) and it looks like if I delete setting.cfg from my ksp folder before starting it the mod works perfectly.

I guess I'll keep doing that until this bug gets fixed. But it's probably up to squad.

Hello.

I have a weird bug that comes from RSS 1.0.4 (didn't exist in the 1.0.2 dev build)

It's gamebreaking.

I can launch a vessel, but I cannot use the pause menu anymore. The velocity reading above the navball is blank. The game message reads "Focus = Earth" then "Focus = Mars" and so on for every body in the solar system very rapidly. Hitting M to enter the map screen just shows planets flickering by. Hitting M again does not return you to the active vessel.

Here's an extract of the output log. I can post a link for the entire file if you wish.

(Filename: Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at RemoteTech.UI.TimeWarpDecorator.get_mVessel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RemoteTech.UI.TimeWarpDecorator.get_DisplayText () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RemoteTech.UI.TimeWarpDecorator.Draw () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at (wrapper delegate-invoke) Callback:invoke_void__this__ ()

at RenderingManager.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RemoteTech.UI.TimeWarpDecorator.get_mVessel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RemoteTech.UI.TimeWarpDecorator.get_DisplayText () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RemoteTech.NetworkManager.OnPhysicsUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at (wrapper delegate-invoke) System.Action:invoke_void__this__ ()

at RemoteTech.RTCore.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RemoteTech.NetworkManager.OnPhysicsUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Enceladus

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

at RemoteTech.UI.FilterOverlay.OnChangeTarget (.MapObject mo) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EventData`1[MapObject].Fire (.MapObject data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetariumCamera.SetTarget (.MapObject tgt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Kopernicus.MapViewFixer.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Tethys

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

at RemoteTech.UI.FilterOverlay.OnChangeTarget (.MapObject mo) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EventData`1[MapObject].Fire (.MapObject data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetariumCamera.SetTarget (.MapObject tgt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Dione

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Rhea

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Titan

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Iapetus

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Uranus

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Neptune

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Triton

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Pluto

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Untitled Space Craft

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Sun

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Mercury

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Venus

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Earth

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Moon

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Mars

Actually, it's a RemoteTech problem.

Edited by TruthQuark

Did anyone know, why mechjeb don't want to work in RSS? For example it stop working in ascending regime in the middle of the trajectory.

What did you set for the following settings:

Orbit Altitude

Turn End Altitude

(those two are really important)

Turn Start Altitude

Turn Start velocity