[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

When I install this mod into a clean install of KSP (1.04), i'm greeted with a blank white sphere for kerbin, and the space centre GUI will not load properly. Anyone got any advice?

KSP: 1.0.4 Windows 32bit

Problem: Keep bouncing on the water

Mods installed:

RSS w/ 4k planets

Module Manager 2.6.6

Reproduction steps:

Build a simple craft , land in the water. keep 'splashing down' that won't settle. ship may fall though planet if you go back to the VAB.

Log: Log

On Appollo 13, James Lovell performed a 35 seconds boost to correct a direct Moon return re-entry angle with the engine Gimbal off, no ASAS and no RCS, he used the frame of the earth in the window of the CSM to stay on course.

Yuri Gagarin jumped out of the Vostok 1 capsule at 7km altitude because a human being causes much less dynamic pressure and atmospheric drag than a whole capsule (wich exploded seconds after he jumped). He went into space knowing there was no safe way back, the team who geared him up wrote that they had never seen him that scared.

1. Lovell did have engine gimballing and RCS capabilities when performing that burn. If he had neither of those the situation would have been literally hopeless because there would be no way to orient the craft to make any burns whatsoever. There is in fact video of the burn (I'm trying to find it now.) where you can see the Earth bob in and out of view during the burn.

2. The Vostok 1 capsule didn't blow up-where did you even hear that? And think about it: what combustibles would have even been there to allow it to? Astronauts parachuted out of Vostok capsules because the parachutes on the capsules weren't large enough to slow it down enough for a human-survivable landing. So the astronauts would jump out and parachute to safety while the capsule would slam into the ground. And survive remarkably in tact..

Mods installed:

RSS w/ 4k planets

Module Manager 2.6.6

Reproduction steps:

Build a simple craft , land in the water. keep 'splashing down' that won't settle. ship may fall though planet if you go back to the VAB.

Simply install this. ;) Have a good day

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/105094

Edited by pozine

The russian space program killed all it's heroes trying to figure that one out... are you up to the task? :P

Use more retro-boosting stuff, make you approach less steep, use multiple drag chutes, install FAR and make your own heatshield, jump out from your capsule and parachute your Kerbal.

This stuff has been done by RL space programs and they took years to do so, take your time. If you have remote tech installed, remove it and use unmanned launchers to get used to the physics and maneuvers.

This is a mod to honor the achievements of our space pioneers, stock KSP makes space travel look like a walk in the park.

On Appollo 13, James Lovell performed a 35 seconds boost to correct a direct Moon return re-entry angle with the engine Gimbal off, no ASAS and no RCS, he used the frame of the earth in the window of the CSM to stay on course.

Yuri Gagarin jumped out of the Vostok 1 capsule at 7km altitude because a human being causes much less dynamic pressure and atmospheric drag than a whole capsule (wich exploded seconds after he jumped). He went into space knowing there was no safe way back, the team who geared him up wrote that they had never seen him that scared.

Now thats what RSS and RO is about :)

*Sigh* This doesn't answer my question at all.

I fully realize that KSP is not nearly as realistic as many members of the community would like to think it is, but that's not what I'm asking. I know that re-entry is a very tricky thing IRL, but thats still not what I'm asking. All I want to know is if there is a setting to modify the game's heat settings so that the heatshields which were configured to survive the slow speeds of the stock Kerbin re-entry can be usable on RSS.

I already have FAR installed, and I know the physics behind how to properly and safely enter an atmosphere. The fact remains that with stock settings, the heat accumulation is far too great for what is should be.

VonFrank: The current physics file that ships with RO _does_ make reentry survivable with the stock heat shields. I've tested it myself. Are you using a sufficiently high perigee?

Somehow, I have the feeling that he's not using RO.... and he's not using a recent version of Deadly Reentry either. (which has a fallback configuration for shields in RSS that kicks in if RO is not installed)

this mod is great but i have 2 problems... I open normally KSP but on Vehicle Assembly and Spaceplane Hangar there are no parts to build my rocktet. And also on the map it swiches furiously between all planets and i cant stop it on earth or any other planet. I checked my files and they are correct. In game data folder there are only 3 folders (Copernicus, RealSolarSystem and RSS-textures with the Module Manager files. Help me if u can...

this mod is great but i have 2 problems... I open normally KSP but on Vehicle Assembly and Spaceplane Hangar there are no parts to build my rocktet. And also on the map it swiches furiously between all planets and i cant stop it on earth or any other planet. I checked my files and they are correct. In game data folder there are only 3 folders (Copernicus, RealSolarSystem and RSS-textures with the Module Manager files. Help me if u can...

Sounds like you are missing the Squad folder. Re-downloading the game will fix it.

Mods installed:

RSS w/ 4k planets

Module Manager 2.6.6

Reproduction steps:

To elaborate, the issue surfaces (heh) AFTER the first landing. First time in the water is fine, second time it starts hopping around.

- - - Updated - - -

Like I've stated before, BB actually makes the issue worse

---------------------------------------------------

sonofabitch

PATH TO FIX

Fresh build

Fresh install of RSS

BB

have to start a new save game

Better Buoyancy MUST be installed BEFORE you start flights or the bug will not go away (actually be much worse)

Just did a few test flights and everything seems to be normal now.... Im adding a new Output log to help figure out what's going on.

Log

Edited by Joseph_Terran

Changelog

v10.2 the "Pluto coming soon" update

• Refine AeroFX patching (when RO not around).
  • Fix to not use "the" in the name of anything but the Moon.
  • Remove unneeded, bad solar power curve.
  • Apply some fixes to stock contracts.
  • Fix typos in some biomes.
  • New biome map for Earth by KellanHiggins! Thanks! You must update that biome texture, by downloading the RSS textures pack v10.2 or by just grabbing that texture.
  • Add ocean data for Better Buoyancy compatibility.
  • Fix Saturn biomes not having the correct names/colors.

I updated RSS and RO earlier through CKAN, and now my geostationary satellites have an orbital period of 9d, 23h, 58m. I'm not sure how this 9h got added to the orbit, as they're still circular at 35,786km. The Earth below them is also spinning, and not still. (as seen when I warp)

From the space center, warping from sunrise to sunrise takes 24h.

Due to I'm-not-sure-what, my install got corrupted so I'm reinstalling. I don't have sufficient info for a bug report, so that's not what this is. What this is is a request: Does anyone have an MM config that modifies rocket engine ISPs?