[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Hi, can you tell me how did you got RVE working ? It keep crashing on loading, and when it don't, it's all .... up. :( ^^

1- Install Fresh KSP

2- Install mods required for Realism Overhaul to work (RSS, RSS textures, real fuels, joint renforcement, etc.)

3- Install other mods (your own preference)

4- Install Realism overhaul

5- Install RVE. (https://github.com/Pingopete/RVE-KSP-1.0.4)

6- Make a KSP shortcut to desktop.

7- Right click on the shortcut, click on properties then add this in the target zone : -force-opengl -popupwindow

8- Open game. Load a rocket but do not launch it yet. Press Alt-E. Click on Apply. Click on Save. Press Alt-E.

DONE AND ENJOY!

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you're trying to run it on a 32 bit system.

It works on a 32 bit system...with MANY mods. Just be sure to have the opengl tweak.

It works on a 32 bit system...with MANY mods. Just be sure to have the opengl tweak.

Ah, maybe the master branch does. I was playing around with the Linux64 branch, which has all the updated eyecandy. But had to remove it again due to incompatibilities with RP-0 until pingopete fixes that issue.

My current install clocks in at around 6 GB *without* RVE, but I'm also using 8k textures for RSS.

just updated RSS/Realheat in my install, and was going through file changes as usual, and noticed some stuff

RealSolarSystem/Compatibility/BBOceanData.cfg > you replaced the BodyOceanDensity nodes, yay BB support

didn't edit the default for this one though (in BB's own cfg)

//Laythe

BodyAtmosphericData

{

bodyIndex = 9

bodyOceanDensity = 2

}

not sure which body in RSS is bodyIndex 9 though, so not sure if thatll mess up somethin

Edited by anxcon

Is there any solution for loading this mod and seeing a white kerbin, then trying to load the space center and you just get a blank screen? I've tried everything I can think of and far as I can tell this mod is broken....

Fresh install of 1.04, no joy.

OK, several things:

1. While using Environmental Visual Enhancements (not EVE overhaul) the sky flickers darker and lighter when ON THE SURFACE of Earth. This is not the same z-fighting problem when viewing a planet form far away with EVE and only occurs in RSS as far as I can tell.

2. Using RSS + FAR but WITHOUT Deadly Re-entry or any other heating mods, I'm still having issues with overheating. The most troublesome now seems to be the explosion of engines once they leave the atmosphere due to rapid overheating. They also do not seem to cool down over time once in space. Intentional or not?

3. With the above mentioned combination of mods, re-entry heat still baffles me. I can now easily survive a re-entry along an appropriate descent trajectory, but the atmospheric effects seem very intense even though there is little effect on the heatshields.

OK, several things:

1. While using Environmental Visual Enhancements (not EVE overhaul) the sky flickers darker and lighter when ON THE SURFACE of Earth. This is not the same z-fighting problem when viewing a planet form far away with EVE and only occurs in RSS as far as I can tell.

2. Using RSS + FAR but WITHOUT Deadly Re-entry or any other heating mods, I'm still having issues with overheating. The most troublesome now seems to be the explosion of engines once they leave the atmosphere due to rapid overheating. They also do not seem to cool down over time once in space. Intentional or not?

3. With the above mentioned combination of mods, re-entry heat still baffles me. I can now easily survive a re-entry along an appropriate descent trajectory, but the atmospheric effects seem very intense even though there is little effect on the heatshields.

2. They should cool down in space but they'd do it more slowly because in a vacuum, heat rejection is entirely through radiation. (no cool air to help)

3. As long as you burn up without the shields then you don't have a problem. Apparently (IRL) heat shields don't lose alot of their material in reentry, at least not Earth, Apollo style reentries.

2. They should cool down in space but they'd do it more slowly because in a vacuum, heat rejection is entirely through radiation. (no cool air to help)

Yeah... they dont cool down at all. Engine temperature rises and stays hot once in space. Problem is, I'm not sure if this is an RSS issue or some other confliction.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone using CKAN noticed anything unusual after installing some recent updates of other mods? I took a bit of a hiatus from ~August 8th until yesterday when I did an update and farted around with anomalies on Earth, and I just noticed that my moon base is suddenly hovering several kilometers above Iapetus of Saturn.

EDIT: And trolling through /gamedata by date, looks like it's something in Kopernicus which got updated yesterday, since the only other recent stuff is KW Rocketry Community Fixes, Kerbal Foundries, RPM, Dmagic Orbital Science, Planetary Bases, KIS and Texture Replacer. So yeah, get ready to do some save editing.

Edited by SorensonPA

Are you still using Deadly Reentry? I did notice that you had mentioned installing it. I was made aware of an issue with a few sections of the DeadlyReentry.cfg file could affect RSS adversely. (though I didn't experience any such issue myself)

I don't plan on pushing a full update but the file in question will get patched on the repository before that happens and you'd be able to download just that file. I think that would probably fix your problem....

I tried to use DR and then removed it. The scenario is similar with DR and without: shield explodes in upper atmosphere (at 80-100 km) because of high surface temperature. It happens before burning all the ablator and before any significant braking.

- - - Updated - - -

The reason to try the Mk1-2 pod is to get more data on the problem you're experiencing. I've just launched, orbited, and recovered the Mk1 pod myself without issue (burned about a quarter of the ablator off of my heat shield), so clearly RSS+SMURFF works just fine for both cases, but we only know that RSS+ROMini (+DeadlyReentry?) doesn't work for the Mk1. If it works for the Mk1-2, then the problem is with how the Mk1 pod or 1.25m heat shield behaves; if the Mk1-2 also burns up, on the other hand, then the problem is more likely to be in the physics parameters that your setup has.

Now I tried Mk1-2 pod with stock 2.5 shield, with new ROMini and no DeadlyReentry. I am descending from 160km circular orbit to periapsis of 50km. Significant heating starts right at the edge of the atmosphere. Shield surface gets to 1000C at height of 110km, and the shield explodes at ~80km due to high surface temperature before consuming all the ablator. The pod expodes immediately after that.

This also happens with non-stock pods (I tried HGR Spudnik and Soyjuce).

I also noticed that my unshielded last stage starts exploding literally several seconds before the pod. This makes me suspect that the ablator does not consume enough heat.

Update: I've set Reentry Heating in difficulty settings to 70%, and my Mk1-2 pod landed with 2/3 of ablator on board. There was no significant heating before braking started, and at altitude 45 km, still at hypersonic speed, it started to cool down. Strange, but when I played with Aero heating in Alt-F12->Physics, it had no such effect.

It looks like some global parameters are messed up, and changing diffuculty resets them to some sane values. May be this is because I started this save without ROMini, then loaded ROMini, then DR, then removed DR, ets.

Edited by pargentum

Been looking around wiki and all, but is there some kind of tool for calculating best transfer windows for interplanetary flights in RSS? Something similar to: http://ksp.olex.biz/

Knowing the phase angles would be enough in my case. It is just that RP-0 has some tight deadlines on interplanetary missions. Given only 2 years to perform Mars fly-by, there is not much room for flying around waiting for Mars to be at proper location.

Been looking around wiki and all, but is there some kind of tool for calculating best transfer windows for interplanetary flights in RSS? Something similar to: http://ksp.olex.biz/

Knowing the phase angles would be enough in my case. It is just that RP-0 has some tight deadlines on interplanetary missions. Given only 2 years to perform Mars fly-by, there is not much room for flying around waiting for Mars to be at proper location.

This transfer window planner is great and it works well in RSS:

http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/224116-transfer-window-planner

It can also work with the alarm mod!