[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

KSP: 1.0.5 Win 32bit

Problem: RSS, most stations are underground

Mods Installed:http://imgur.com/a/mjgiC

Repoduction Steps: Open up KSP, Switch stations, or just look, KSC is probs underground

log(s): IDK what log i should use

Fix for Phobos and Deimos. This fixes both the blockiness and the intangibility of the PQS terrain on both moons. You can put this config in GameData to fix this until RSS implements this.

@Kopernicus:AFTER[RealSolarSystem]
{
	@Body[Phobos]
	{
		@PQS
		{
			@MinLevel = 2
			@MaxLevel = 3
		}
	}
	@Body[Deimos]
	{
		@PQS
		{
			@MinLevel = 2
			@MaxLevel = 3
		}
	}
}
//Max Level used to be 18 or something big. That was causing the blocky, intangible terrain. This config can be added in your RSS game to fix the issue.
//The fix is also implemented directly (not as a patch) to the LGMFM-SolarSystem.cfg file in Little Green Men from Mars v1.1. If you're using LGMFM you don't need to install this.

The science defs are actually being done in RP-0, but thanks! :)

I already chucked in your Phobos and Deimos fix, but I'm happy to nom the rest too. Public notice: between that and the atmosphere pressure etc work @OhioBob has been doing, and the fact that I'm no longer 1000% busy on tutorials, I'll be making a release soon.

So.

HALP PLS

I could really use YOUR HELP (hi all!) in fixing up the launch sites for the next release! It's not that hard, there are docs --it just takes a bit of trial and error and KSP-reloading. :)

15 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

The science defs are actually being done in RP-0, but thanks! :)

I already chucked in your Phobos and Deimos fix, but I'm happy to nom the rest too. Public notice: between that and the atmosphere pressure etc work @OhioBob has been doing, and the fact that I'm no longer 1000% busy on tutorials, I'll be making a release soon.

So.

HALP PLS

I could really use YOUR HELP (hi all!) in fixing up the launch sites for the next release! It's not that hard, there are docs --it just takes a bit of trial and error and KSP-reloading. :)

Doesn't RP-0 use different science experiments (like no Mystery goo)? These definitions are for all stock experiments.

Edited by GregroxMun

In case anyone wants to replicate the newly "discovered" Planet Nine, in your RSSKopernicus.cfg file copy the entry for Neptune and replace the start of it with the following (you can change the name):

name = Persephone
        finalizeOrbit = true
        Template
        {
            name = Jool
        }
        Orbit
        {
            // Target body name: 
            // Center body name: Sun (10)
            // Center-site name: BODY CENTER
            referenceBody                          = Sun
            semiMajorAxis                          = 75900000000000  
            eccentricity                            = 0.58 
            inclination                              = 20  
            meanAnomalyAtEpochD              = 148 
            longitudeOfAscendingNode    = 100
            argumentOfPeriapsis              = 151
            color                                            = 0.19215, 0.33333, 0.56862, 1.0
        }

Properties
        {
            description = Discovered through its gravitational effect on the farthest bodies in the solar system, Persephone is slightly smaller than Uranus and Neptune.

radius = 21000000 // adjusted below average to approximate height where pressure approaches 1000 Bar
            mass = 6E+25
            rotationPeriod = 36000
            tidallyLocked = false
            initialRotation = 0
            isHomeWorld = false
            timewarpAltitudeLimits = 0 5000 30000 30000 100000 300000 600000 1000000

// FIXME add biomes

ScienceValues
            {
                flyingAltitudeThreshold = 191000
                spaceAltitudeThreshold = 3000000
            }

}

Edited by metaphor

Hello everyone! Fantastic work on RSS. I do sincerely apologize if this has been mentioned before, but on my fresh save with just RSS Saturn is lacking rings. I have looked back a few pages and have not seen it discussed, so I have decided to ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

@TheAuroraknown issue, fixed for the next RSS release. If you would like to correct it now then:

1. Download the RSS master .zip from Github.

2. Extract it's contents.

3. Copy the file named "RSSKopernicus.cfg" that is located inside the "GameData/RealSolarSystem" folder that was extracted.

4. Navigate to the "GameData/RealSolarSystem" folder.

5. Drop and replace the already existing file.

Edited by Phineas Freak

Stupid question, apologies in advance. Any idea how likely 1.1 is to break/change RSS? I am considering putting together some big missions but it will take me weeks/months to finish and I don't want 1.1 to break anything. Nor would I want to wait to update to 1.1 :) So, go for it, or wait 'till 1.1 comes out?

Hi everyone :),

I'm new to the RSS mod but everything seems to be working well, and aside from having to run in openGL mode to avoid crashes everything runs great. (As far as I can tell, I don't have any crashes in openGL mode. But what is "popupwindow" needed for?). I downgraded to mid texture size and tested DX mode just for giggles. After getting to orbit, doing 1 orbit and then doing a retro burn, I crashed right at about 45km going into reentry. But with open GL I've been able to complete at least a LEO orbit flight no problem. Also can anyone help me with the stuttering when running RSS with the mid or large textures? I don't know if it's code dumping garbage from the addons or if textures are causing it.

But the real reason I came here is to ask , are there any plans to give a real Pluto some love into the real solar system? And can I help? I would post images to narrate the differences but apparently My account doesn't have rights to attach images? okay... http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Pluto/index.php

You guys are doing a really good job, and this has given Orbiter a run for it's money now that I have a real solar system to play with :0.0: And after installing the recommended RO mod I can finally leave behind those wobbly, dinky, stock kerbin rockets. Now I'm not limited to the "My first mod!!" of orbit hangar ever again. I can build a universe in the real universe! :sticktongue:

Although, drooling to have L11 textures in KSP... I take it the game was never meant to handle high res textures, does it have something to do with the built in heightmesh of the planet? Is there a reason why they can't patch it for x64?

@k.thrace.462753 hi, welcome! :) And thanks so much!

Texture size should not induce any change in GC behavior, so (sadly) my guess is that your graphics card is not so good at OpenGL and dealing with those high-res textures is causing slowdown.

I am happy to change Pluto's textures, however I absolutely don't have time to do so myself; so I beg of the community that someone post good textures for it. It needs diffuse (color), normal, and height maps. (And, of course, I will repeat my plea for community help fixing launch site locations.)

Unity doesn't support beyond 8192x8192, and nobody's written any kind of plugin that would support "virtual textures" the way Orbiter and Celestia do them, either on the scaled bodies or in PQS. That's why the maximum res you can get is a single 8192x4096 texture, although @Thomas P. *did* write support for >8192 PQS color maps and height maps in Kopernicus (but that would be 384MB for the surface color map and 96MB for the height map).

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Q, mod related but a bit about modding the mod it self.

Atm trying to get RO+RSS game going and RSS needed KSCSWITCHER depended mod was only located at Kerbalstuff.  Now I prefer to always play from Omelek KSC and to have only 1 station on Earth/kerbin for remote control to need to build satelite communication network.

Now, I edited Launchsites.cfg, erased all other KSCs in it and change mh_omelek to be starting place but regardless every new game I try starts from cape C.  IS there some other hidden files or something in RSS that hardcode starting place?