[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

On 23/03/2016 at 4:41 PM, Bobdabiulder said:

UPDATE: WHY is Earth's gravity so much higher than that of Kerbin?!  I find this really annoying.  Also, great textures

Sorry Bob.. maybe I take things for granted.. but this post makes me smile... a lot.  :-)

Welcome to the annoying world of KSP.

5 minutes ago, NFunky said:

Oh! I had no idea there was a dedicated thread. Is there an easy way to cross post or should I just copy and paste the text?

Thanks!

I would just copy paste the OP question. A moderator could maybe merge this thread into that one, but it's probably easier to copy paste your question there, and ask a mod to close this thread here

Edit: Oh, and just about every mod for the game has a thread in the Add-on releases forum. 

Edited by FullMetalMachinist

@New Horizons I think you're talking about RO? I'd suggest asking on the RO thread. :)

@NFunky If you are in fact launching during a window, Earth and Mars will be aligned such that you should line up fine. If in doubt, launch a probe into the same plane as the Moon (it's close enough to the ecliptic) and then use MechJeb's "Advanced Transfer to Another Planet" option in the maneuver planner to find when the next window is and how much it will cost. Then launch into the Moon's plane again during that window and let MJ plot your maneuver.

Hey, I'd really like to use this mod to test out my launchers with a new challenge. Vanilla is really getting too easy. But anyways, could you help me, and explain where I place the texture files. If I just put the 2048 file in the gamedata folder, the game doesn't respond. If I put the textures within the RSS folder, the game will be in an infinite loading screen. 

Could you please help me? I might just be doing the entire RSS thing incorrectly, or maybe just the textures. 

@Cottoncandymanthe "RSS" and the "RSS-Textures" folders should be inside your "GameData" folder (example: GameData\RSS). But, if you have other mods installed, make sure that you do not hit the KSP memory limit.

Better yet, grab CKAN and let it do the installation for you: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/releases

@G3n3r4lthis issue has been fixed for the next version of RSS.

On 21. 3. 2016 at 7:55 AM, ColKlonk said:

For Testing (and play ?)  purposes, would it be possible for someone to make 2 fictitious bases, one on the Equator and one at either North or South Pole.

bad news, pull with new sites rejected by developers, because this sites dont have space program

you need go to Mbandaka (equator closest airport) and launch something to orbit before adding this location to rss :D

hm...
and how to add rusian delta class submarines, or american Odyssey launch platform?
they have done orbital launches from many sea/ocean coordinates ...

this thinking only about sites from old geopolitical history is outdated

oh, and Pegasus rockets? is launched from "mothership" (aircraft Stargrazer - modified Lockheed L-1011 TriStar)
have done over 30 (40?) orbital launches from various airports :P

I know several bodies were added relatively recently, but are there any plans to add more? I'd love to see the five large moons of Uranus, and definitely Ceres (and maybe even a couple of the other dwarf planets?). No real rush, there's plenty to explore as is, just curious.

If there's absolutely no plan to do this at all, would it be extremely difficult to add them myself?

15 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Cottoncandymanthe "RSS" and the "RSS-Textures" folders should be inside your "GameData" folder (example: GameData\RSS). But, if you have other mods installed, make sure that you do not hit the KSP memory limit.

Thanks. I know to put the RSS and RSS-Textures in the gamedata. It's probably that I've hit the memory limit. Didn't know there was one. First game I've modded. I'll try later and see if it works. I've tried CKAN, but I've had lots of other mods installed at the same time, and got the same result.

I wonder if the 64 bit version in the 1.1 version will increase the memory limit.

Edited by Cottoncandyman

On 20.03.2016 at 6:29 PM, kalelong said:

Hey Guys i got a Problem.

In my version of RSS the light conditions are so bad that the grasslands around the KSC are just dark. I know that the earth in RSS is way higher then Kerbin in the original version and I expected that the light would be a bit darker but not like this. I watched some videos where RSS was used and everything looks quite sunny.

So anybody knows a patch or sth. like this ?:rolleyes:

I'm driving KSP on a mac 10.11

Check this out.

@Osel as I said when you asked before on this thread: I'm very happy for people to make new launch sites. Please do share your new sites! That's not at all to do with RSS itself adding them, though; as I've said on thread and off, RSS's set of launch sites is those sites which have successfully launched orbital missions.

18 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Inorite!?

Btw, I'm sure you're gonna have a big backlgo of work being with squad now, but is there a chance we'll see Real Solar System in the prerelease? You know, to crack the next ram limit! :D

Edit: Although it seems Kopernicus is not yet updatet. Guess that one would be helpful to have.

Edited by Temeter

I finally made it to orbit! Here's an album!

Damn, that wasn't easy. I'm not using the full RO build (Real Fuels is way out of my comfort zone), but I'm using most of it. With KCT, I had to to a lot of simulations before I finally got this thing into orbit, and then finally the real go. Which I still had to redo a couple times. And all that with only a little more than 100 m/s dv to spare, for a 0.6 ton payload. Wow. My mechjeb readout in the VAB gave me about 10k delta-v, so I'm really wondering where it all went.

It's much cooler to be actually playing with Earth and the real difficulty that entails rather than Kerbin. Anyway, just thought I'd share. If anyone sees anything I could improve on from those screenshots or just has some general tips I'd love to hear, that was damn hard to pull off, I can't imagine trying to get real payloads up!

Edited by mr_trousers

7 hours ago, mr_trousers said:

If anyone sees anything I could improve on from those screenshots or just has some general tips I'd love to hear

By your screenshots, it looks like you are taking too long to start your gravity turn, and then doing it too suddenly. You were still going vertical with a speed of 1100m/s, while the optimal approach is to start a slight turn (something around a pitch of 85º) when you reach 80-100m/s depending on your TWR, and then go prograde. This way, you minimize steering loss of delta-v. A good way to know whether you did the turn right is that you should reach a pitch of 45º when your speed is about 900-1000m/s. Then, you can control your pitch depending on the height you intend to give your orbit and the time you have to apoapsis.