[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

2 hours ago, leudaimon said:

By your screenshots, it looks like you are taking too long to start your gravity turn, and then doing it too suddenly. You were still going vertical with a speed of 1100m/s, while the optimal approach is to start a slight turn (something around a pitch of 85º) when you reach 80-100m/s depending on your TWR, and then go prograde. This way, you minimize steering loss of delta-v. A good way to know whether you did the turn right is that you should reach a pitch of 45º when your speed is about 900-1000m/s. Then, you can control your pitch depending on the height you intend to give your orbit and the time you have to apoapsis.

Hmm, okay. I remained vertical mostly due to minimal steering capabilities in the solid rocket booster stages, and also fears that separation of those boosters while pitched over would result in them impacting the rest of the ship. I can see why that might lead to the efficiency loss though, thanks! I'll try to come up with something better in later iterations.

19 hours ago, Temeter said:

Btw, I'm sure you're gonna have a big backlgo of work being with squad now, but is there a chance we'll see Real Solar System in the prerelease? You know, to crack the next ram limit! :D

Edit: Although it seems Kopernicus is not yet updatet. Guess that one would be helpful to have.

please, please please to you and EVERYONE else:. don't ask for mods to be updated. 1.1 isnt even released yet. Besides, RSS relies on Kopernicus to operate, and it probably will not see an update until the formal 1.1 release. So just have some patience and wait it out. I don't want to be rude, but it really irritates me. Last update I was flooded with a million messages a day asking for updates, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that, we do this for fun and theres nothing fun about people asking us to do more ;.; .

1 minute ago, KillAshley said:

please, please please to you and EVERYONE else:. don't ask for mods to be updated. 1.1 isnt even released yet. Besides, RSS relies on Kopernicus to operate, and it probably will not see an update until the formal 1.1 release. So just have some patience and wait it out. I don't want to be rude, but it really irritates me. Last update I was flooded with a million messages a day asking for updates, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that, we do this for fun and theres nothing fun about people asking us to do more ;.; .

I don't see why the ban on asking for release dates shouldn't extend to modders. Instead poster are allowed to pester and annoy any mod autour they want with the only repercussion being hey please don't. Makes me sad :( to see what modder have to put up with...

@mr_trousers You can use separation motors on the boosters to separate them from the main stage, and steering should be easy if you have a gimballing engine in the main stage. If your first stage is solid rocket only with no gimballing and you have a high TWR (both of which makes things more difficult btw), you can launch your rocket with a little bit of inclination eastwards in the launch pad already, and the gravity turn will start itself automatically. It is not as accurate, and requires some simulations to get right, but it is possible.

5 hours ago, KillAshley said:

Hence why I tried to write my answer in a very neutral tone and only asked if, instead of begging for (or demanding) a release. ;)

Sorry in case that actually bothers the modders tho!

Edited by Temeter

At one point last night I was designing upper stages and I crashed when I attempted launch. No biggie, it happens, start it again. Except the game crashes either as soon as ksp finishes loading or around a quarter through, every time after that. I tried Active Texture Management, and that didn't fix it. However when I deleted RSS, it did start. I'd rather not have to do that. Thanks for any help!

Error log: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OJLkY6PBf8Y5Op52Yaa7zIaQG65t4YdrWEef-L3Mcm8/edit

Edited by Emankcin

After I installed RSS and RO I noticed that asteroids stopped showing up in the Tracking Station. Is there a way to have them spawning again, or do I need to detect them by other means. Also, how can I add a specific asteroid if I know the orbit characteristics? A cool mod will be one that can take as input an asteroid Ephemerid file, that can be downloaded from Horizons JPL, and create that asteroid in the solar system. Is there such a mod yet? Thanks. 

36 minutes ago, TheCrazyHeadGamer said:

Do I have to choose one of the x2 or x10 version of the mod to get realist planet sizes or is it already bigger in the standard version of the mod ?

The RSS download link on the first page is the link for the real RSS

3 hours ago, Emankcin said:

At one point last night I was designing upper stages and I crashed when I attempted launch. No biggie, it happens, start it again. Except the game crashes either as soon as ksp finishes loading or around a quarter through, every time after that. I tried Active Texture Management, and that didn't fix it. However when I deleted RSS, it did start. I'd rather not have to do that. Thanks for any help!

Error log: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OJLkY6PBf8Y5Op52Yaa7zIaQG65t4YdrWEef-L3Mcm8/edit

Your log file isn't publicly available.

1 minute ago, TheCrazyHeadGamer said:

Yes but are the planets bigger than the vanilla ones in this version ? Or is it just a reskin ?

(sorry i'm a noob for this mod ^^)

It is 10x the normal kerbal system with real planet features, sizes, textures etc.

4 hours ago, TheCrazyHeadGamer said:

Yes but are the planets bigger than the vanilla ones in this version ? Or is it just a reskin ?

(sorry i'm a noob for this mod ^^)

They're the same size as real life, yes. It replaces all the stock planets and adds ones that aren't represented in the base game.

5 hours ago, a_schack said:

Your log file isn't publicly available.

Sorry, I fixed it. Anyway I tried to start it with -force-opengl and got it working (now with 80% fewer crashes!)

Edited by Emankcin

On 3/31/2016 at 9:43 AM, leudaimon said:

@mr_trousers You can use separation motors on the boosters to separate them from the main stage, and steering should be easy if you have a gimballing engine in the main stage. If your first stage is solid rocket only with no gimballing and you have a high TWR (both of which makes things more difficult btw), you can launch your rocket with a little bit of inclination eastwards in the launch pad already, and the gravity turn will start itself automatically. It is not as accurate, and requires some simulations to get right, but it is possible.

Okay, what I've done now is activating my main engine at the same time as the boosters and just keeping throttle very low, so I can still use its gimbal for steering while not consuming much of that stage's fuel. Also trying out the ascent profile as you've described, I think things are going pretty well.

New just general question for anyone: so I understand that getting into an orbit with inclination less than the latitude of your launch site isn't very easy (though I don't know how to correct for it). But anyway, reading this, I looked up the angle of the moon's orbit and saw that, it being near the ecliptic, it was actually pretty close to the latitude of Cape Canaveral. So I assumed I'd be pretty good for orbits for getting to the moon/the ecliptic in general from those launch sites.

But actually, when I achieved orbit, it appeared that I'd been terribly wrong; the moon was in a plane probably some 50 degrees off from mine. Perhaps my assumption would have been correct, had I launched at a different time of year or from a different longitude, like from China maybe.

I've tried doing some googling to find out how missions to the moon did their launch to orbit but I've had difficulty finding specifics. This whole tilted Earth thing is proving quite a challenge to my limited knowledge. Anyone have any suggestions/information/resources? I couldn't find anything in the RSS wiki, so I hope this isn't an already explained question.

7 minutes ago, mr_trousers said:

New just general question for anyone: so I understand that getting into an orbit with inclination less than the latitude of your launch site isn't very easy (though I don't know how to correct for it). But anyway, reading this, I looked up the angle of the moon's orbit and saw that, it being near the ecliptic, it was actually pretty close to the latitude of Cape Canaveral. So I assumed I'd be pretty good for orbits for getting to the moon/the ecliptic in general from those launch sites.

But actually, when I achieved orbit, it appeared that I'd been terribly wrong; the moon was in a plane probably some 50 degrees off from mine. Perhaps my assumption would have been correct, had I launched at a different time of year or from a different longitude, like from China maybe.

You need to launch when Cape Canaveral is directly below the plane of the moon's orbit. So wait until they align, then launch. At 1h20m in this video, I do just that, so maybe that can help. 

@mr_trousers Exactly what a_schack said. An easy way to do this correctly is to use KER and set the moon as target. When your angle to AN or DN is 0º you will be perfectly aligned with the moon's orbit. Such a situation happens once in a day for each node, so it's pretty easy. Just pay attention because your inclination must be different when aligned with the ascending or descending nodes.

14 minutes ago, leudaimon said:

@mr_trousers Exactly what a_schack said. An easy way to do this correctly is to use KER and set the moon as target. When your angle to AN or DN is 0º you will be perfectly aligned with the moon's orbit. Such a situation happens once in a day for each node, so it's pretty easy. Just pay attention because your inclination must be different when aligned with the ascending or descending nodes.

Brilliant. So it's a time of day thing, rather than a time of year thing. Thank you. It looks like MechJeb has a similar functionality which shows inclination to orbit.

33 minutes ago, a_schack said:

You need to launch when Cape Canaveral is directly below the plane of the moon's orbit. So wait until they align, then launch. At 1h20m in this video, I do just that, so maybe that can help. 

Thanks much for the video. Your series looks very interesting, I'll probably reference it in the future when I'm having difficulty - though I'm not using RO, just many (most) of the mods which it requires/recommends/suggests. I quite like your mission log, I wish I had had the foresight to record that information for my launches. A quick question - hopefully not too much a derailment of this thread: I can't find a full list of the mods you're using here, but it's not simply RO/RP-0, is it? Specifically, I'm very curious what mod you're using that gives you a full list of science opportunities.

1 hour ago, mr_trousers said:

Specifically, I'm very curious what mod you're using that gives you a full list of science opportunities.

I'm not sure if you refer to Science Alert or [x] Science!, but I use both. I've also added my mod list to the thread.

Hey Nathan, 

Have you decided to wait till official 1.1 launch to release RSS/RO and your other mods updated to 1.1 or are you already working on it?

I was excited about 1.1 and got it as soon as it came out, only to realize I no longer like stock KSP, it's too easy. Sadly I'll have to continue with 1.0.5 (and it's crashes) till RSS+RO comes out.

10 minutes ago, berkekrkn said:

Hi is it possible to extend day time to 24h instead 6h 

For example in contract pack the requested geostationry orbit is 2000km it should actually be around 36000km

Is that with RP-0 installed? The time setting is in the game settings under "Use Earth time" or somesuch.