[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Question I could not find an answer anywhere:
If anyone is familiar with the Karbonite mod, is it possible to mine for Karbonite in RSS? I'm looking through the CRP config for Karbonite and all planet names are for the default KSP planets. I am not entirely sure how mods that add additional resources to the game act, whether resources are randomly generated on a planet or if additional configuration is needed to make Karbonite available in RSS. Hoping someone may be able to help me out with this answer, as I'm not far enough in career mode to start attempting to collect/mine for Karbonite. An extension to this question would be the same for KSPi, and whether the resources needed for their ISRU's are available in RSS.

I'll try to figure out more by poking around config files, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

The stock resource system will generate Karbonite distributions for every planet, since there are GLOBAL_RESOURCE entries for Karbonite.  It's not 100% certain to be present on Earth, Venus, or Jupiter as it is on Kerbin, Eve, and Jool, but the odds are in your favor.  (Water, on the other hand, is only 20% likely to be found in Earth's oceans, going by the default configs.  Maybe I'll draw up some resource configs for RSS.)

KSP Interstellar, on the other hand, seems to still use the Open Resource System for some of its resources, which requires maps for each planet and resource, and RSS maps and configs are not included.

22 minutes ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

The stock resource system will generate Karbonite distributions for every planet, since there are GLOBAL_RESOURCE entries for Karbonite.  It's not 100% certain to be present on Earth, Venus, or Jupiter as it is on Kerbin, Eve, and Jool, but the odds are in your favor.  (Water, on the other hand, is only 20% likely to be found in Earth's oceans, going by the default configs.  Maybe I'll draw up some resource configs for RSS.)

KSP Interstellar, on the other hand, seems to still use the Open Resource System for some of its resources, which requires maps for each planet and resource, and RSS maps and configs are not included.

Awesome, thanks for the answer on the USI Mods question, that's my biggest and most immediate concern.

How certain are you on the KSPi extended running on ORS presently? Looking at the latest version it comes bundled with CRP, however since I don't know a damn thing about modding (besides editing configs and creating custom parts/textures) for KSP, I don't know that means it's running with CRP or it uses CRP to run under the open resource system (wondering because I was checking out the Real Solar System Expanded mod which [obviously] suggests using KSPi due to it adding new galaxies to the game, and theres no way I'm traveling millions of lightyears without the updated timewarp mod with a regular ship... lol).

Hi friends I have a problem regarding textures.

Basically, the textures from orbit look nothing like the textures on the ground. Earth works fine and so does the moon, but I've noticed Mars is the biggest issue here. For example, if I land in a crater or next to a big mountain, the ground is completely flat and seems like it has nothing to do with what it looks like from orbit. It also looks just like the stock Duna texture except completely flat. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Edited by Caillou

CRP just defines the density and cost (and, for a few used by the USI family, some planetary distributions for the stock resource system only) of a bunch of resources.  ORS is the system that KSPI uses to define resource distribution for the resources that it uses (e.g. thorium), and KSPI includes resource maps and an "OpenResourceSystem_KSPIE.dll" in its folder, so it's probably a good bet that it's still in use.

3 hours ago, Caillou said:

Hi friends I have a problem regarding textures.

Basically, the textures from orbit look nothing like the textures on the ground. Earth works fine and so does the moon, but I've noticed Mars is the biggest issue here. For example, if I land in a crater or next to a big mountain, the ground is completely flat and seems like it has nothing to do with what it looks like from orbit. It also looks just like the stock Duna texture except completely flat. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Same here newfriend

Edited by bigguy4u

3 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

CRP just defines the density and cost (and, for a few used by the USI family, some planetary distributions for the stock resource system only) of a bunch of resources.  ORS is the system that KSPI uses to define resource distribution for the resources that it uses (e.g. thorium), and KSPI includes resource maps and an "OpenResourceSystem_KSPIE.dll" in its folder, so it's probably a good bet that it's still in use.

Ah, I got ya. I just checked the plugin folder for it and it's one of the newest compiled files from the version I've downloaded. There is a folder called Planet Resource Data that includes resources from atmosphere, water, and land, but the celestial bodies are all from the Kerbol system, as well as land maps that are accessed from the planetaryresourcedefinitions.cfg so I'm assuming a compatibility patch or complete overhaul would be needed before it could work with RSS. Time to head over there and make a request. Thanks for the information Kerbas, I still have a lot to learn about modding in KSP (and by proxy, Unity).

I found a game breaking bug. The Kourou space center runways western end is underground, so it is impossible to launch planes from it. Here is a picture of the problem. I would like to know what file controls where the launchsites are exactly, so I can bump up the altitude of the site a tad so it is above ground so I can still play while waiting for an update. I am playing with max terrain detail, btw.

3 hours ago, Space Cat said:

I found a game breaking bug. The Kourou space center runways western end is underground, so it is impossible to launch planes from it. Here is a picture of the problem. I would like to know what file controls where the launchsites are exactly, so I can bump up the altitude of the site a tad so it is above ground so I can still play while waiting for an update. I am playing with max terrain detail, btw.

In GameData/RealSolarSystem you will find a file LaunchSites.cfg with some descriptions. Additional descriptions can be found here: https://github.com/NathanKell/RealSolarSystem/wiki/PQSCity-and-PQSMod_MapDecalTangent

Good luck! Maybe you share the fix, so others don't have to do the same.

Edited by grosser_Salat
grammar

Since I promised to share the results on my launchsite :) Peenemünde got adjusted a little bit:

Spoiler

Site
        {
            name = de_peenemuende
            displayName = DE - Peenemuende
            description = The launch site at Peenemünde was a development and test site of the Wehrmacht, constructed in 1936. With the development of the Aggregat 4 (V2) and its successful launch on Oktober 3rd, 1942, Peenemünde can be considered the "cradle of spaceflight".
            PQSCity
            {
                KEYname = KSC
                latitude = 54.153053
                longitude = 13.781189
                repositionRadiusOffset = 28
                repositionToSphereSurface = false
                lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
                reorientFinalAngle = 130
            }
            PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
            {
                radius = 12000
                heightMapDeformity = 46
                absoluteOffset = 5
                absolute = true
                latitude = 54.153053
                longitude = 13.781189
            }
        }

And I got the RemoteTech Station with help from @Phineas Freak:

Spoiler

STATION
            {
                Guid      = 510df5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc100
                Name      = DE - Peenemuende
                Latitude  = 54.153053
                Longitude = 13.781189
                Height      = 246
                Body      = 1
                MarkColor = 1,1,0,1

Antennas
                {
                    ANTENNA
                    {
                        Omni = 5E+06
                    }
                }
            }

I know others have worked on launchsites as well, maybe someone can create a room to share them. Like a thread "Community LaunchSites 4 RealSolarSystem". I just don't know, where to put such a thread.

Has anyone had any problems with orbits randomly changing? I just sent out my first probe to Mars and had a roughly-Hohmann transfer set up, I created a mid-course maneuver to get a a good flyby and then left to do other stuff. But when I came back to do the maneuver, the orbit was completely different and actually dipped down towards Venus. I thought this might just be a random glitch so i launched another probe and exactly the same thing happened. Not sure what could be causing it, I'm using RSS+RO and mostly just the recommended mods.

On 25/10/2013 at 5:50 AM, Camacha said:

That is a good question actually. Are the planets scaled to a 1m tall Kerbal scale?

What I also like about this mod is that part packs like NovaPunch actually feel like they belong in KSP (or RSP now maybe). Before they felt a bit pointless and out of place, now you will actually need them.

I would almost say it is about time for some realistic astronauts.

I haven't had problems with orbits, but i keep getting rockets stuck on launch pad or they just explode as you load into launch.

If anyone got some the same problem please help.

I know the reinforcement struts mod making the rockets explode, but i cant seem to find what's causing the problem, if i remove the mod, the rockets don't explode but the root part of the ship is stuck at the same location and cant be moved :-(

2 hours ago, terryammon said:

I haven't had problems with orbits, but i keep getting rockets stuck on launch pad or they just explode as you load into launch.

I know the reinforcement struts mod making the rockets explode, but i cant seem to find what's causing the problem, if i remove the mod, the rockets don't explode but the root part of the ship is stuck at the same location and cant be moved :-(

Do not use tweak-scale on any fins / wings on your rocket. Optionally, de-install tweakscale.

There was a mod conflict with FAR and tweakscale. Unless it has been fixed, it sounds like that is your problem.

19 hours ago, terryammon said:

Please note that you are replying to a post almost three years old :) KSP is not the same as it was back then.

yeah ... i found Santa's workshop at North pole! yes! in the "North Pole Hill" is Santa's workshop, trust me! (:

RSS_North_Pole.png

north pole launchsite available here (v0.1.1 update)

please don't edit heightmaps for north pole, we need Santa's workshop stay alive, for our children and our children's children and ... :)