[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

9 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Also, Nathan Kell is a developer, so he actually kinda does get payed to do this.

He actually and definitively does NOT get paid to do this. As a Squad employee he gets paid to contribute to the stock code which does NOT include mods like Real Fuels or Real Solar System. To suggest otherwise is absolutely ridiculous. 

You have ZERO right of expectation that he will update or continue to develop any of the mods he contributes to and should contritely and humbly wait with hat in hand in hopes that he does continue to do so.

9 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

First of all, what, and second, I was joking, and third, it doesn't work in 1.1.2 so chill. Also, Nathan Kell is a developer, so he actually kinda does get payed to do this.

It is a good thing that I am not a Moderator, or people like you would be banned. Remember that sarcasm does not come across on the Internet. Also, it is completely useless to come to someone's mod page that they are developing in their free time and make any comments other than:

• Thank you
  • I have an issue that might be caused by your mod
  • Thank you
  • I have an idea for your mod
  • Thank you
  • Thank you
  • Here is a donation for your hard work
  • Can I help with anything?

@NathanKell has put in more time than almost anyone in the modding community to make the game better. He earned a contract position with Squad because of that. It is comments like yours that make modders want to walk away from the BS they have to deal with.

I am interested in giving RSS a try in the near future, but I don't want to take the dive all the way in with Realism Overhaul - mainly just interested in the challenge presented by the scale not having to accommodate for propellants, etc at this time.  I'm wondering what mods people might recommend for this minimal approach?  I've briefly looked over some of those listed on the RO thread and RealScaleBoosters, SpaceY, some of the Procedurals, and the 5m subpack from SXT look promising.  Any reason to choose one over the other?  All of the above?  Other suggestions?

I also want to clear up one preconception I possibly have - I'm assuming stock engines are fairly inadequate?  Based on the rocket equation, to have the deltaV needed for RSS, I either need higher Isp or more fuel.  Higher Isp seems like making magic engines, so the better answer is more fuel which equals more mass.  Since the stock engines are balanced for...well...stock, I'm guessing the thrust will be a problem, because while you can get the deltaV you need with a larger rocket, burn times will be very long in space.  I'm guessing RO has MM configs to account for this which I would not have in RSS alone.  (Or are the stock values pretty realistic and burns in real life actually do take a long time?)  Am I close to the bullseye or am I aiming at the wrong dartboard entirely?

Thanks! 

(Since I am not interested in going all the way with RO, please feel free to let me know if I would be better off looking at HalfSize RSS or KScale64 or the like which are still achievable with stock parts.)

Just now, BlkBltChemie said:

I am interested in giving RSS a try in the near future, but I don't want to take the dive all the way in with Realism Overhaul - mainly just interested in the challenge presented by the scale not having to accommodate for propellants, etc at this time.  I'm wondering what mods people might recommend for this minimal approach?  I've briefly looked over some of those listed on the RO thread and RealScaleBoosters, SpaceY, some of the Procedurals, and the 5m subpack from SXT look promising.  Any reason to choose one over the other?  All of the above?  Other suggestions?

I also want to clear up one preconception I possibly have - I'm assuming stock engines are fairly inadequate?  Based on the rocket equation, to have the deltaV needed for RSS, I either need higher Isp or more fuel.  Higher Isp seems like making magic engines, so the better answer is more fuel which equals more mass.  Since the stock engines are balanced for...well...stock, I'm guessing the thrust will be a problem, because while you can get the deltaV you need with a larger rocket, burn times will be very long in space.  I'm guessing RO has MM configs to account for this which I would not have in RSS alone.  (Or are the stock values pretty realistic and burns in real life actually do take a long time?)  Am I close to the bullseye or am I aiming at the wrong dartboard entirely?

Thanks! 

(Since I am not interested in going all the way with RO, please feel free to let me know if I would be better off looking at HalfSize RSS or KScale64 or the like which are still achievable with stock parts.)

I am biased as the maker of Half Size RSS, but if you want to go full scale without going RO, look on the forums for a mod called SMURFF. It lowers the dry mass of parts and other things to make stock rockets more viable. That being said, you will still want some larger rockets like you can find in Space Y and Real Scale Boosters, etc.

1 minute ago, pap1723 said:

I am biased as the maker of Half Size RSS, but if you want to go full scale without going RO, look on the forums for a mod called SMURFF. It lowers the dry mass of parts and other things to make stock rockets more viable. That being said, you will still want some larger rockets like you can find in Space Y and Real Scale Boosters, etc.

Awesome thanks!  Hadn't seen SMURFF so I will take a gander.  I've been really torn, because Half Size RSS looks like it strikes a really nice balance between stock and RSS.

8 minutes ago, pap1723 said:

look on the forums for a mod called SMURFF

What he said ^ ^ 
It also increases the ISP and lowers the weight on stock engines in addition.
Edit: If you run half-RSS then SMURFF by default will be overpowered, but it can be edited in config easily by setting a factor to half(?)

Edited by SkyKaptn

On 26.6.2016 at 1:03 AM, Dermeister said:

Is it just me or is there invisible bumps in RSS on the runway?

There are in fact two distinct "bumps" on the Cape Canaveral runway. One of them is visible (about 150-200m downrange), as if a seam crosses the runway. May be the slopes in the underlying terrain that punches through. Hard to spot, but the airplanes certainly get a hard jolt and in a lot of takeoffs and landings this has catastrophical results.
-Thruth be told I run the latest RSS on 1.1.3 that is said to be not compatible.

I thank mod developers, for their contribution. My solution to those people wanting an update -

Develop the mod yourself

or (the simple solution) for future reference and my preferred solution, copy KSP to another directory. I have updated my steam KSP to 1.1.3 but still play my modded KSP 1.1.2. from c:\KSP Realism.

Give the mod developers time to update and more importantly say THANKYOU :)

7 hours ago, LTL King said:

Bad joke. He may be a devoloper but doesn't get paid to make mods for KSP. Still did this out of his free time.

6 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

@NathanKell, is "modding" something that you have a salary for? Or is it "actually developing the game"? Idk, but I have a slight feeling it's the latter.

looks like I just make friends everywhere I go

22 hours ago, SkyKaptn said:

What he said ^ ^ 
It also increases the ISP and lowers the weight on stock engines in addition.
Edit: If you run half-RSS then SMURFF by default will be overpowered, but it can be edited in config easily by setting a factor to half(?)

Thanks!

I cannot seem to get RSS to work. I have a fresh copy of ksp and extracted both the RSS and texture folders into the game data. When the game loads, it says 46 module has been loaded but the normal version of ksp appears instead. Help please.

2 minutes ago, beamthegreat said:

I cannot seem to get RSS to work. I have a fresh copy of ksp and extracted both the RSS and texture folders into the game data. When the game loads, it says 46 module has been loaded but the normal version of ksp appears instead. Help please.

What version of KSP and RSS are you using ? RSS v11.3 is compatible with 1.1.3 but the integrated version of Kopernicus is not; though that problem should be solved with 11.4.

36 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

What version of KSP and RSS are you using ? RSS v11.3 is compatible with 1.1.3 but the integrated version of Kopernicus is not; though that problem should be solved with 11.4.

I'm running RSS 11.4 on KSP 1.1.3. I did everything exactly as instructed and the loading screen says its loading 46 modules but when the game starts the planet is still Kerbin.

I haven't played KSP in ages so I suspect my old save files might be the culprit. I'll try obliterating everything and installing it again.

26 minutes ago, beamthegreat said:

Nope doesn't work. Below is a screenshot of my gamedata folder. Can anyone please tell me if I'm doing something wrong?

https://s31.postimg.org/p8tsc8okb/Untitled.png

You're missing ModularFlightIntigrator which is a dependency of Kopernicus. Note there was also a new version of Kopernicus just released.

On 6/30/2016 at 11:09 AM, BlkBltChemie said:

Awesome thanks!  Hadn't seen SMURFF so I will take a gander.  I've been really torn, because Half Size RSS looks like it strikes a really nice balance between stock and RSS.

I'm currently running an RSS career with SMURFF at 1.0 lever and having a blast. My previous career was a 6.4x scale game using Sigma Dimensions, for which a 0.5 lever seemed appropriate.

It's kind of weird - I had tried RSS/RO in the past, but didn't enjoy it all that much, in part because I'm a NecroBones mod enthusiast and his stuff doesn't have RO configs. Now I'm using RSS with SMURFF but without RO, and I'm finding it very enjoyable. And I get to use the mods I know and love, with improved stats thanks to SMURFF.

28 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

You're missing ModularFlightIntigrator which is a dependency of Kopernicus. Note there was also a new version of Kopernicus just released.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! It is working perfectly now. Is this written on the first page or did I miss it somehow?

2 hours ago, beamthegreat said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH! It is working perfectly now. Is this written on the first page or did I miss it somehow?

I did a fresh new bare install then checked the logs when it didn't show Earth. There was a line complaining about Kopernicus missing this dependency so I downloaded the latest Kopernicus rather than the bundled one and found the extra folder there. I then went to ModularFlightIntigrator's forum page to check if that was the latest. Saw a newer version and grabbed that.

In summary - check each mod, then its dependencies then the dependencies of the dependencies... and check for newer versions - but also read the last couple of pages of each forum post for any issues that might need an older version installed.