[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

4 hours ago, Dolin said:

I've tried making a bigger than 8k texture for Earth using tiled textures for space simulators (i.e. Orbiter or Celestia). I've succesfully made a 16k Earth texture and it would be possible to make 16k textures for the Moon, mars and maybe a few other bodies.

I've run into problems with 32k textures and above because Photoshop refuses to export them as .dds, for some reason it always gives out a "image width and height must be multiples of four" error, even though the image size IS indeed correct.

Ok, but just to be clear, my comment regarding 32k textures was actually a bit of snark. :wink:

I do not need or expect 32k textures.

However, if 32k is technically feasible and possible, then I respectfully upgrade my snark to 128k (Oh Yea!)

Ok, re: all this talk about high res textures. Unity 5 might support absurdly high resolutions but make sure that you have a video card that can actually support those resolutions as 3D textures.

For these 16k/32k textures you're talking about you're probably going to want something like a 1080. (speaking of Nvidia, no idea what Radeon card would be necessary)

Finally, let's say you do get your high res 16k texture and it looks gorgeous in orbit. Back down on the planet you're still looking at the same terrain detail unless you have a good high res height map and even then there's still limitations because of the upscaling.

Just some caveats to consider.

16 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

32K textures are not currently supported by Unity. The largest possible resolution is 16384 px x 16384 px (16K) and BTW it works just fine for RSS (did some testing on my own). Still, even with 16K textures the fidelity of the ground is too low.

Edit: ninjae'd by @Starwaster.

Just out of curiosity, did you try 32k or are you that confident that it just doesn't support it? (assuming you have a card that can handle it)

I've seen some pages that indicate it can handle 32k but I don't know how reliable they are. One was someone's project page and they could just be mistaken.

@Starwaster i found a reference that Unity3D is limited (at least for Windows) by the DirectX version that is used (Linux and OSX are limited i think at 8K). DX11 supports up to 16K textures but this might be a reference to the Unity editor and not for a final binary. I could try and upscale the texture to 32K and see if KSP can handle it though.

Edit: after a lot of slowdowns and crashes of the texture editing programs i finally managed to export a sample .png Earth surface texture (conversion to .dds was impossible), load it in KSP and, lo and behold:

[LOG 00:04:23.727] Load(Texture): RSS-Textures/EarthColor
[ERR 00:04:39.515] Texture has out of range width / height

Nope, KSP cannot load it. I was then greeted by shades of white and red...

Actual texture size: 32768 px by 16384 px

Edited by Phineas Freak

On 12/09/2016 at 1:44 PM, Dolin said:

Hello, I'm using KSP 1.1.3 and the latest RSS, RO and other mods.

I'm trying a moon landing and I seem to be having "terrain issues", which is the reason I'm posting here.

Basically, no matter how carefully I zero my velocity, as soon as my lander legs touch the ground the lander starts bouncing and hopping slightly, and so it "slides" sideways at about 5 m/s until it loses balance and capsizes. There is no way to actually settle down and stop on the ground once it starts doing this.

I've edited the presistent.cfg to change the suspension parameters and I've come to the conclusion that they're not the cause of the problem (i.e. the lander doesn't bounce because the legs are too rigid).

My terrain detail is set to high, by the way.

Thank you for any assistance.

Dolin

I apologise for self-bumping, but could anyone help me with this?

14 hours ago, Dolin said:

I apologise for self-bumping, but could anyone help me with this?

This has happened to me too, my lander was sliding on a ground that looked flat enough in my opinion. But it was a single landing simulation and I just thought "ok, next time I'll choose a flatter ground". I haven't tried another landing since...

I've encountered sliding and such myself in stock (though not 5 m/s...that's pretty quick to move over the ground). I recall there was a devnote some time ago saying that there was efforts to fix this for 1.2, with the updated Unity version and wheel physics (which is also what the landing legs run on, as I understand).

On 12.9.2016 at 10:30 PM, Phineas Freak said:

@Starwaster i found a reference that Unity3D is limited (at least for Windows) by the DirectX version that is used (Linux and OSX are limited i think at 8K). DX11 supports up to 16K textures but this might be a reference to the Unity editor and not for a final binary. I could try and upscale the texture to 32K and see if KSP can handle it though.

Edit: after a lot of slowdowns and crashes of the texture editing programs i finally managed to export a sample .png Earth surface texture (conversion to .dds was impossible), load it in KSP and, lo and behold:

[LOG 00:04:23.727] Load(Texture): RSS-Textures/EarthColor
[ERR 00:04:39.515] Texture has out of range width / height

Nope, KSP cannot load it. I was then greeted by shades of white and red...

Actual texture size: 32768 px by 16384 px

Hi,

thanks for your effort! Did you also try 16k or only 32k? 

@Friedrich Nietzsche i tested both 16K and 32K (the 32K texture was the 16K one but upscaled) and only 16K worked. It was not much better than the 8K textures though (but probably because of my testing approach).

Tiling multiple high resolution textures would fix a lot of graphical shortcomings but it would require a separate loader for that (think of it like the EVE Terrain manager).

Hey everyone and thanks for the great mod. I really enjoy the Real Scale Space travelling by now. But I've got something like a Problem. (I play with SMURFF, no RO is installed.) My earth-texture is (in 8k) something like this undetailed green landscape we can see in the screenshots of the opening pages. On streams I often saw way more detailed maps and I can't anything about it.

Maybe you know what I'm talking about and are able to help me out. Thank you!

Nathan, correct me if I am wrong, but with KSP 1.2 having tweakable gravity, could I make an RSS install and just tweak gravity to 1/10th to have a kerbal scaled dV version of a big solar system (ie keeping the large earth for realistic looking orbits, but stock-esque dV rockets) ? This could make life a lot easier for people modding 1/10, 1/3 or 1/2 scaled versions, which I think in most part has to do with needing bigger rockets or patches to balance isp/thrust. What's your take on this?

How in the world do you install this mod? I had it installed earlier back in the 1.0.5 versions, but now the archive is horribly messed with, what do I put where? (I installed the textures, that one is obvious where it goes.)

Does SVE work with this?, because I am struggling to get scatterer and SVE to work with this.

I have the textures (2048), real solar system and RVE in my gamedata folder (With RVE, I click it, it then comes up with EVE and sunflare. I click EVE and then I have Atmosphere, citylights, terrain. But am not able to get the visual mods working.

Edited by KERBALINA

You neer RVE, not SVE. Then remove the boulderco folder, effects are meh then but with that folder clouds etc dont work for me either. Removing boukderco got it to work.

Also check the end of the RVE topic for install help. Rve hasnt been updated for 1.1.3 so needs a little tweaking.

Edited by Jimbodiah

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, MaxPeck said:

Since @NathanKell appears to have been unpersoned by recent events, does anyone know the status of this mod? Is anyone updating for 1.2?

13 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Yep, to be clear I still plan to work on RO and its associated mods. I will be taking a bit of time off I think period (I'd likely be doing it no matter what, 1.2 was quite a crunch as you have seen from my IRC statuses and prior lack of presence here), but I will be working on RO going forward.

I think he feels about RSS in a similar fashion.

On 10/3/2016 at 6:51 PM, Jimbodiah said:

Nathan, correct me if I am wrong, but with KSP 1.2 having tweakable gravity, could I make an RSS install and just tweak gravity to 1/10th to have a kerbal scaled dV version of a big solar system (ie keeping the large earth for realistic looking orbits, but stock-esque dV rockets) ? This could make life a lot easier for people modding 1/10, 1/3 or 1/2 scaled versions, which I think in most part has to do with needing bigger rockets or patches to balance isp/thrust. What's your take on this?

This remains a fantastic question that i too am interested in!

It would certainly save a lot of configuring mods like RVE/Scatterer/Kopernicus for different scale systems. RSS could be made the standard with visual mods focussing on one system and people just tweaking gravity to what they like, even increase during gameplay to increase the challenge.