[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

@nitropic When 1.2.1 came out, I installed a fresh game and proceeded to add the various mods I use that were updated. I'm still running 1.2.1 (not 1.2.2) because it's a pain updating things every time there is a minor game revision. Here is what I did:

• Fresh install of 1.2.1
  • Installed various mods that I use
  • Install latest version of Scatterer for KSP 1.2
  • Install Real Solar System v12.0 for KSP 1.2
  • Install RVE-KSP-1.04-Linux64 (works with Windows)
  • Install latest version AnyCPU-EVE-Release

That's it as far as I can recall. It's possible I may have missed some step, but I know for sure that I didn't manually modify anything. Perhaps worth noting, is I install mods manually (unzip into GameData folder). I don't use CKAN because I've found it to be problematic in the past.

I hope you get things working, because clouds and city lights definitely adds immersion.

48 minutes ago, Noah_Blade said:

@NathanKell am I installing KSC Switcher wrong for 1.2.X ? it isn't working in my 1.2.1 fresh install...

Same problem here. The only way I am able to play from my custom location (SpacePort America in New Mexico), is to manually change the default PQSCity location in Earth.cfg. Interestingly, the launch site locations do show in MechJeb landing guidance pull-down list. I'm guessing KSC Switcher problem.

So happy about Real Solar System being updated for 1.2! Partly because my mod requires Real Solar System but mostly because I play RSS more than stock. Whenever I go back to stock to mess around, everything seems... boring. Traveling to Mun in stock, for example, is not nearly as satisfying as traveling to the Moon and back in RSS. Also, in RSS, you can really appreciate the enormity of our home, and simultaneously appreciate how small it is. This mod is absolutely fantastic, and I think it is definitely one of the best mods for kerbal space program period.

What could be the reason that some of my Moon bases spawn several meters in the air when I switch to them and then teleport back down to the surface?

I'm using the 8192 textures v10.4 released on Mar 15 together with RSS v12.0, Kopernicus 1.2.2.1, and running the KSP 1.2.2.1622 64-bit version on Linux.

The debug log has a message "[Materials]: ground contact! - error: -4.920m" when this happens.

It wouldn't be a big deal but it causes drills to briefly lose ground contact, so I need to restart all drills every time I switch to the base, which is terribly annoying.

Any suggestions for things I could try?

Screenshot: left side before teleport, right side after teleport. The location in this case is 2.1088956°S 80.683676°E. [edited with more digits since I found out that it depends a lot on the exact location]

Spoiler

teleport_base.jpg(Also for some reason the textures are missing on the drill debris, that only happens sometimes and probably not related to this issue.)

[edit] I've now experimented with hacking the savefile and playing with the position of the vessel, and it seems it spawns at the height that belongs to one corner of the height map "tile" it's sitting on. The closer I move it to the corner the less ground error there is, until gets to the next tile. So basically, instead of a smooth incline it spawns as if the height map was a staircase, and then teleports to the real surface just before physics kicks in.

So is it possible that the surface normal vector is wrong somehow? I've tried clearing the Kopernicus cache and it didn't help. A surface normal vectors stored in the textures? Does Kopernicus calculate them? Or is this a stock bug after all?.

One more reason to stick with flat areas for bases... but this was the only location with Lowlands, Midlands and Lunar Seas biomes close together near the equator...

Edited by jd284

2 hours ago, jd284 said:

What could be the reason that some of my Moon bases spawn several meters in the air when I switch to them and then teleport back down to the surface?

This jumping was previously an effect of the Smokescreen mod before it was updated. Suggest you start there.

Spoiler

Hello Cyprus!

MoJ3B7.png

Spoiler

Ercan Airport in Cyprus

qjBZNV.png

Spoiler

Finally we can see southern Turkish borders

9gLPrO.png

Spoiler

Ahh beautiful Antalya. Need to land or will have no fuel!

g2oJPZ.png

Spoiler

Time to land in Antalya Airport!

ZMdP5k.png

Spoiler

Airport wasn't flat at all!

o07Rd7.png

Spoiler

Landed :P 

l316QE.png

Spoiler

VPY1QP.png

A trip, Tel Aviv to Antalya :P 

2 hours ago, SkyKaptn said:

This jumping was previously an effect of the Smokescreen mod before it was updated. Suggest you start there.

Well, that doesn't help me much since I've never used Smokescreen. And the problem persists even if the only things in my GameData are Kopernicus, ModularFlightIntegrator, RealSolarSystem, RSS-Textures, Squad and ModuleManager.2.7.5.dll.

So it's something related to RSS and its textures, or Kopernicus and its dependency MFI. If I remove the PQS block from the RSS Moon.cfg (to make the Moon flat), the problem is still there but less noticable because there are no slopes anymore. Now the ground contact error is only between 0.2m and 0.4m. Not sure what that tells me about the source of the problem.

If it helps, here's a zip file with logs and savegame to reproduce it: Moon_jumping_base.zip

Mainly I want to find out whether I should make a ticket for RSS or Kopernicus... or on the Squad bug tracker.

[edit] Can't reproduce it on a stock game on the Mun, regardless of how steep a slope the ground contact error is less than 0.05m.

Edited by jd284

@jd284 If what you are experiencing is the same as I have, there are two ways I've found to remedy: Plant a flag near your base and select it whenever you want to change location to your base. In my case, it is the object that I target to move to, that suffers the worst from this physics bounce (or whatever) on load. The other way, is sometimes in the savegame, objects are referenced with a negative altitude (below ground). Editing the savegame to give the object a positive altitude (one meter for example), will reduce or eliminate the load-bounce.

I think this is a KSP bug, rather than RSS or Kopernicus. On the other hand, perhaps your situation is entirely different.

Edited by Observe

On 11/12/2016 at 6:22 PM, Observe said:

@nitropic When 1.2.1 came out, I installed a fresh game and proceeded to add the various mods I use that were updated. I'm still running 1.2.1 (not 1.2.2) because it's a pain updating things every time there is a minor game revision. Here is what I did:

• Fresh install of 1.2.1
  • Installed various mods that I use
  • Install latest version of Scatterer for KSP 1.2
  • Install Real Solar System v12.0 for KSP 1.2
  • Install RVE-KSP-1.04-Linux64 (works with Windows)
  • Install latest version AnyCPU-EVE-Release

That's it as far as I can recall. It's possible I may have missed some step, but I know for sure that I didn't manually modify anything. Perhaps worth noting, is I install mods manually (unzip into GameData folder). I don't use CKAN because I've found it to be problematic in the past.

I hope you get things working, because clouds and city lights definitely adds immersion.

Don't know why @Observe, but i tried even with 1.2.2, and still getting all, city lights, textures, etc. And i take a look on EVE menu (Alt+0), and i see that the clouds seem correct configured, but NO! Clouds still not appearing (only i see a fantastic sky full of stars on nights and a cyan clean sky on days haha), i don't even know if i'm missing anything cause why the love the city lights appear and clouds no!?, but thank you for all... (If it's not a lot of work, if you can send my the exact link of mods, cause maybe i'm picking bad versions or something...) what a mess hahaha! Thank you ^_^ !!

Edited by nitropic

OK, I'm playing the stock Career mode (with SMURFF) since RO isn't available yet and the "rescue kerbal" missions keep spawning target craft in the upper atmosphere.  I can edit the save to bump them 100 km higher each time, but is there a way I can set the contract system to spawn them higher by default?

On 12/12/2016 at 3:38 PM, The-Doctor said:

how does mars look?

RVE clouds are mostly underground by default.  You'll want to raise them up higher, unless you only want to see clouds down in the low-low spots.

kqT3SKI.png

20 hours ago, nitropic said:

Don't know why @Observe, but i tried even with 1.2.2, and still getting all, city lights, textures, etc. And i take a look on EVE menu (Alt+0), and i see that the clouds seem correct configured, but NO! Clouds still not appearing (only i see a fantastic sky full of stars on nights and a cyan clean sky on days haha), i don't even know if i'm missing anything cause why the love the city lights appear and clouds no!?, but thank you for all... (If it's not a lot of work, if you can send my the exact link of mods, cause maybe i'm picking bad versions or something...) what a mess hahaha! Thank you ^_^ !!

@nitropic I don't know the exact links so I've uploaded the relevant files here:

AnyCPU-EVE-Release

RVE-KSP-1.0.4-Linux64

scatterer-0.0256

The above are working (clouds, city lights) in my 1.2.1 game version.

Edited by Observe

Please be advised, this post contains spoilers about anomalies. Don't read if you don't want spoilers.

Spoiler

So 1.2 introduced new anomalies, being green monoliths. Every body has one in a randomized location. See also this thread.

Supposedly they unlock a tech node when you first visit one.

However, I found the green monolith on the Moon in my RSS game, and nothing happened. Has anyone had any luck getting the green monoliths to "work" in RSS?

If not, is this likely an RSS problem, a Kopernicus problem, or something else?