[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

On 11/29/2016 at 8:19 AM, monstah said:

You'll probably have better luck asking that in the SSTU thread :wink:

On 12/8/2016 at 0:28 AM, NathanKell said:

v12.0 for KSP 1.2.2

* HUGE THANK YOU to everyone involved! I was away and I come back to...many great changes and a pretty much ready-to-release update!
* Recompile for KSP 1.2.2, include latest MM and Kopernicus.
* Sigma88: Remove an unneeded compatibility setting.
* Raidernick: Fix Earth SMA (fixes orbital shift over time with wrong period).
* SirKeplan: More reasonable timewarp limits on Phobos and Deimos.
* Kerbas-ad-astra: Ribbon support.
* ThreePounds: Fix some Chinese launch sites, add Wenchang.
* Kerbas-ad-astra: Add atmospheric composition to Pluto.
* Miki-g: Venus warp limits fixed.
* Kerbas-ad-astra: Support (with Custom Barn Kit) updating the stock DSN ranges.
* PhineasFreak: Rework RT patching for current RemoteTech.
* Leudaimon: Fix launch site orientations for all sites.

I need a little help here.Every time i try to download RSS it doesnt work in ksp everything is still in the kerbol system.Could you help me?

Hey Guys,

anyone with that problem in RSS?

I have multiple Bumps in my Runway, they go further into the grasslands....and it looks like there is a double ground. like you can see a second one under the one youre driving on.

9wVwQCW.jpg

Log-File:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B41wMzU7NQMURXViV1F0RXAzeDA

I have the problem in my clean KSP-Install 1.2.2 with only RSS v12 (4096x2048 Textures), Kopernicus 1.2.2.1, MFI 1.2.3, no other mods.

Can somebody help? Or is this mabe a problem with Kopernicus?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

23 hours ago, JohnMcLane said:

Hey Guys,

anyone with that problem in RSS?

I have multiple Bumps in my Runway, they go further into the grasslands....and it looks like there is a double ground. like you can see a second one under the one youre driving on.

9wVwQCW.jpg

Log-File:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B41wMzU7NQMURXViV1F0RXAzeDA

I have the problem in my clean KSP-Install 1.2.2 with only RSS v12 (4096x2048 Textures), Kopernicus 1.2.2.1, MFI 1.2.3, no other mods.

Can somebody help? Or is this mabe a problem with Kopernicus?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

This is a stock bug, already present in the "bug tracker".

5 hours ago, ricardoguedes21 said:

Does not work! My ksp is updated, I install everything right by the CKAN and when I start the game Kerbin appears.

-Kopernikus 1.2.2.1

-RSS 1.2.3

-Textures

Do you have the latest Module Manager and Modular Flight Integrator installed?

Edited by Nansuchao

21 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

This is a stock bug, already present in the "bug tracker".

Do you have the latest Module Manager and Modular Flight Integrator installed?

Thx for the reply.

Found it:

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/11446

Its not playable with planes in that state...how could that happen....so only rockets for the next months....

16 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

Kerbal Konstruct it's a good solution. The custom runways are perfect.

Youre probably right, i have know idea whats really going on inside the programming :D

Is there any workaround? manipulating the Launchsites.cfg?

14 minutes ago, ricardoguedes21 said:

Does anyone have any solution to decrease the sizes of the planets to get easier?

Try some of the other systems in the top post then, listed under "Alternate size solar systems".

On 9/19/2016 at 0:22 AM, Phineas Freak said:

I tested both 16K and 32K (the 32K texture was the 16K one but upscaled) and only 16K worked. It was not much better than the 8K textures though.

@Phineas Freak I apologize if this is the wrong place, but I'm not sure were best to post. As you know, I presented some of my texture related findings in your RSVE thread, but I thought here is more appropriate, since it is more general to RSS and not specific to RSVE. 

As one who enjoys designing and flying aircraft and spaceplanes, I am interested in higher resolution Earth terrain. There are some issues with underwater sediment shelves protruding above water.

Original 8K textures (note the arrows showing areas where there should no land):

channel_isl_orig.jpg

Some of that can be corrected via VertexHeightMap offset, or by adjusting the image as shown here:

channel_isl_new.jpg

Now at least the islands are separated and the sediment shelf is below water as it should be.

Reference Google image:

channel_islands_google.jpg

Next, I created 16k images. While not perfect, the detail is improved as would be expected:

channel_isl_16k.jpg

Personally, I think it would be worth having 16k images available for planet Earth at least. I'll likely continue working on this for my own use. I haven't made any mods for KSP - so I don't know what the procedure would be for creating an add-on for 16k Earth images. Anyway, I thought my findings might be of interest to someone in future.

Thanks.

Edited by Observe

On 1/4/2017 at 0:47 PM, Observe said:

Text

On 1/4/2017 at 1:41 PM, Phineas Freak said:

@Observe i agree that the Earth should have that option, since it is the planet that you look at the most and frequently up close. If you decide to create a mini mod for these i can guide you through, it is not difficult at all (probably easier than the 95% of the common MM patches).

I use custom ground textures for my mod, ssrss. You could try doing the same and see if that helps, idk though.

20 hours ago, sDaZe said:

I use custom ground textures for my mod, ssrss. You could try doing the same and see if that helps, idk though.

@sDaZe For me, heightmap is the most important texture for RSS; because that is the one that determines how accurately the land/water division is - which affects the shape of the coastline for continents, islands, lakes etc. I'm not too concerned about ground texture as such. I just want to fly to some island like Hawaii or anywhere on Earth, and have the terrain be a reasonable facsimile of how it should look.

The approach I'm taking, is I've downloaded the highest resolution images from NASA Visible Earth. These come in a sequence that need to be "stitched" together, resized, rotated, etc. For some of that, I'm using ImageMagick command-line processing, because the images are too large for working with in PhotoShop etc. Anyway, the result is 16k images that while still not super detailed, are noticeably better than 8k images.

As I mentioned elsewhere, it is possible to mix resolutions - using 16k for the heightmap and 8k size for all the others. This minimizes impact on memory and graphics resources, while still presenting higher detail.

Edited by Observe

Keep me updated on that if you will :D 

9 minutes ago, Observe said:

@sDaZe For me, heightmap is the most important texture for RSS; because that is the one that determines how accurately the land/water division is - which affects the shape of the coastline for continents, islands, lakes etc. I'm not too concerned about ground texture as such. I just want to fly to some island like Hawaii or anywhere on Earth, and have the terrain be a reasonable facsimile of how it should look.

The approach I'm taking, is I've downloaded the highest resolution images from NASA Visible Earth. These come in a sequence that need to be "stitched" together, resized, rotated, etc. For some of that, I'm using ImageMagick command-line processing, because the images of too large for working with in PhotoShop etc. Anyway, the result is 16k images that while still not super detailed, are noticeably better than 8k images.

As I mentioned elsewhere, it is possible to mix resolutions - using 16k for the heightmap and 8k size for all the others. This minimizes impact on memory and graphics resources, while still presenting higher detail.

@Observe a nice thing about the height map textures is that they can be safely placed under a "PluginData" folder. That way you could have 16K textures for all bodies but they will not be kept in memory (just referenced when needed by Kopernicus). So, a combination of a relatively small color map with a very high resolution height map could do the job.