[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Does anyone have any tips on performing a Mars landing (only RSS, no RO) for a Mars base (~8t payload). It seems parachutes are useless because the atmosphere is too thin and even if I hack the minimum pressure they are destroyed because I'm still too fast. The re-entry itself is no problem, there's barely any heating. However there's also no appreciable aerobraking, even in the lowlands I still go 2000+ m/s when hitting the ground. Shallow entries don't seem to help since the atmosphere doesn't do anything until about 15 - 20 km altitude anyway, and when I go in shallower it has me leaving the atmosphere again.

On the other hand when I attempt to brake using retro-rockets, the ship flips and becomes uncontrollable.

Basically, not enough atmosphere to do any braking for you, but too much atmosphere to brake the hard way.

So does anyone have any successful designs for landing and/or other tips?

if you using mechjeb, use 3-4 or more brake-descending engines, and turn differential throttle on, this prevent flip while braking.

if you play without mechjeb, you need align engine thrust vector with center of mass to prevent flip ... and use engines with gimbal

(also maybe left rcs active while landing to help with lander stability)

Edited by Osel

51 minutes ago, jd284 said:

Does anyone have any tips on performing a Mars landing (only RSS, no RO) for a Mars base (~8t payload). It seems parachutes are useless because the atmosphere is too thin and even if I hack the minimum pressure they are destroyed because I'm still too fast. The re-entry itself is no problem, there's barely any heating. However there's also no appreciable aerobraking, even in the lowlands I still go 2000+ m/s when hitting the ground. Shallow entries don't seem to help since the atmosphere doesn't do anything until about 15 - 20 km altitude anyway, and when I go in shallower it has me leaving the atmosphere again.

On the other hand when I attempt to brake using retro-rockets, the ship flips and becomes uncontrollable.

Basically, not enough atmosphere to do any braking for you, but too much atmosphere to brake the hard way.

So does anyone have any successful designs for landing and/or other tips?

Inflatable heat shield. Though the stock one might not be enough.....

As for using braking thrust, it's hard to say much without seeing the design but what are you using for control? The stock air brakes are useful in that regard and respond to attempts at pitch and yaw. Also use the 'Vernor' thrusters. Make sure only their pitch and yaw functions are enabled (using the context menu). And depending on the design, rotate the thrusters to fire directly through the center of mass. (make sure though that doing so doesn't rob you of too much retro thrust. I.e. if they're angled 45o then you're losing 50% of that thrust)

Here's a 15m inflatable heat shield you can try. It clones the stock inflatable and scales it up. Paste the code into a file named:

InflatableHeatShield15m.cfg (actually you can name it anything as long as the extension is cfg)

+PART[InflatableHeatShield]
{
	@name = InflatableHeatShield15m
	@rescaleFactor = 1.5
	@node_stack_top = 0.0, -2.3, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2	
	@TechRequired = survivability
	@entryCost = 600
	@cost = 300
	@category = Aero
	@title = Heat Shield (15m)
	@description = Based on the design of a child's toy, then crossed with a bouncy castle, this heat shield uses a set of inflatable rings covered with a thermal blanket to provide a generous 10 meter heat shield for reentry and decelleration.
	//maximum_drag = 0.1
	//minimum_drag = 0.1
	//angularDrag = 0.5
	//breakingForce = 2048
	//breakingTorque = 2048
	@emissiveConstant = 0.9
	@CenterOfBuoyancy = 0.0, 3, 0.0
	@CenterOfDisplacement = 0.0, 3.45, 0.0
}

On 19.3.2017 at 10:19 PM, Starwaster said:

Inflatable heat shield. Though the stock one might not be enough.....

As for using braking thrust, it's hard to say much without seeing the design but what are you using for control? The stock air brakes are useful in that regard and respond to attempts at pitch and yaw. Also use the 'Vernor' thrusters. Make sure only their pitch and yaw functions are enabled (using the context menu). And depending on the design, rotate the thrusters to fire directly through the center of mass. (make sure though that doing so doesn't rob you of too much retro thrust. I.e. if they're angled 45o then you're losing 50% of that thrust)

Here's a 15m inflatable heat shield you can try. It clones the stock inflatable and scales it up. Paste the code into a file named:

InflatableHeatShield15m.cfg (actually you can name it anything as long as the extension is cfg)

Thanks, the combination of airbrakes and the inflatable heat shield finally worked.

Although it took a while for me to figure out that I was meant to use it as a parachute and not as heat shield...

Still used way too much fuel, I didn't expect Mars landings to be so expensive. Any resupply missions will have to be planned rather more carefully.

41 minutes ago, jd284 said:

Thanks, the combination of airbrakes and the inflatable heat shield finally worked.

Although it took a while for me to figure out that I was meant to use it as a parachute and not as heat shield...

Still used way too much fuel, I didn't expect Mars landings to be so expensive. Any resupply missions will have to be planned rather more carefully.

No, it is meant to be used as a heat shield.

But if your aerodynamic center is too far forward of your center of mass then you're going to flip. And I'm not sure I adjusted either when I was rescaling it.

Hey guys, I've been wanting to increase the difficulty of Kerbal Space Program and I've decided to make everything a tad more realistic. I've been looking around the forums for the past week trying to figure something out. I want to change the Kerbal system to the Solar System for which I'm obviously going to use this mod. But I don't want to have to build enormous rockets to just get to orbit. I'm wondering if any of you guys can recommend which mods to use to rebalance the engines. I don't want to use Realism Overhaul since it's not out for 1.2 yet, and I don't want to downscale the Solar system to stock-size unless there's no other way. 

I'm using RealPlume and Realfuel. Are there other mods out there that can help me rebalance/replace the stock parts so that I can play with the real solar system on its real scale?

7 hours ago, SpaceEnthusiast said:

Hey guys, I've been wanting to increase the difficulty of Kerbal Space Program and I've decided to make everything a tad more realistic. I've been looking around the forums for the past week trying to figure something out. I want to change the Kerbal system to the Solar System for which I'm obviously going to use this mod. But I don't want to have to build enormous rockets to just get to orbit. I'm wondering if any of you guys can recommend which mods to use to rebalance the engines. I don't want to use Realism Overhaul since it's not out for 1.2 yet, and I don't want to downscale the Solar system to stock-size unless there's no other way. 

I'm using RealPlume and Realfuel. Are there other mods out there that can help me rebalance/replace the stock parts so that I can play with the real solar system on its real scale?

SMURFF is your friend. 

On 3/26/2017 at 2:01 PM, SpaceEnthusiast said:

On 3/26/2017 at 9:06 PM, pap1723 said:

SMURFF is your friend. 

I'm flattered that SMURFF comes recommended, but bear in mind that RealFuels does its own mass rebalancing that SMURFF doesn't interact with.  You may want to look at RF Stockalike Configs to get engines (especially engines from mods) to work with your setup:

On 3/25/2017 at 4:19 PM, Alexoff said:

Looks like Venus atmosphere is wrong - game show 0.06 atm at sea level :rolleyes:

I have from 70-90 Atm. depending on site.

Did all the biomes as manned return missions.

@Kerbas_ad_astra Your mod is great for not adding the kind of complexity that RF and most of the RO suite mods bring to the table. Better to ease into full scale, where space is actually kinda hard.

Got a serious problem. I simply fall through the ground on Mars. Not a single area on that planet has any clipping, I flew around and checked different places. Contact with the ground, even at 1m/s causes anything to fall through and explode instantly, ships, unmanned craft, land vehicles, kerbals. I haven't tried other planets, but I have a hunch that if its some kind of scaling issue then I just can't land anywhere in the solar system other than Kerbin. 

Also, the ocean on Kerbin has a deceiving sealevel; because when i drop into the sea, i 'land' and splash several meters above the visible water. 

Don't know how to fix any of it.

I am trying to setup an alternative launch site with KSCSwitcher (ver 0.7) but can not seem to get the config right.

The location is on the southern slopes of Nevado Cayembe in Ecuador. It's 0.05 south of the equator and around 3900 meters above sea level. The problem is that there should be canyons to the east and west, there is a smallish plateau at that locale with the ground falling away to the east and west. However the site shows KSC in the bottom of a valley with mountains on all sides.

this is the setup I have so far.

Site
        {
            name = ec_cayembe
            displayName = EC - Cayembe
            description = Located almost exactly on the Equator (0.05s) in Ecuador, Nevado Cayembe has both the advantage of Equatorial launchs and an altitude of nearly 4000 meters. It also has the "advantage" of being an active volcano (last eruption was in 1786). What could possibly go wrong!
            PQSCity
            {
                KEYname = KSC
                latitude = -0.04
                longitude = -77.975
                repositionRadiusOffset = 3898
                repositionToSphereSurface = false
                lodvisibleRangeMult = 10
                reorientFinalAngle = -90
            }
            PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
            {
                radius = 30000
                heightMapDeformity = 10
                absoluteOffset = 3898
                absolute = true
                latitude = -0.04
                longitude = -77.975
            }
        }

So if anyone can tell me where I am going wrong I would mucha appreciate it.

@Agnemon I'm not sure if I understood what is your problem, but I think it is likely the issue is actually with the topographic map, which is not perfectly accurate because of the texture resolution. If this is the case, it would not be possible to change the topography in the region to match the real world. Do you think you are in the correct geographic location and just the terrain looks wrong?

Here is nice list of planets with atmosphere (data taken from mod files):

Tritons surface pressure is ten times too high: its 1.4 Pa not 16 Pa:

pressureCurve
            {
                key = 0 0.0165 0 -1.11539E-06

Venus - 0.90 g 11 MPa 753 K 350 K
Earth - 1.00 g 101 kPa 283 K  
Mars - 0.38 g 1 kPa 195 K  
Jupiter - 2.34 g 101 MPa 1278 K 166 K
Saturn - 0.94 g 101 MPa 1005 K 136 K
Titan (Saturn moon) - 0.14 g 159 kPa 95 K 125 K
Uranus - 0.93 g 101 MPa 731 K 76 K
Neptune - 1.16 g
101 MPa 718 K 71 K
Triton (Neptune moon) - 0.08 g 16 Pa 37 K  
Pluto - 0.06 g 1 Pa 41 K  
Edited by raxo2222

Got KSP v1.2.2 obviously. I've been reading the last 10 pages to look for my answer, so sorry if it is already mentioned. I'm sure nobody expects me to read 100+ pages lol.

What visual mods are compatible with RSS? If i.e. "EVE" works in stock kerbin system does it automatically work in RSS aswell?
I also found a workaround to get the KSPRC mod to work in the stock kerbin system since it's not optimized for v1.2.2.
Would KSPRC then also work with RSS installed? Do visual mods even look nice in the real solar system? Obviously I've seen RSS videos that clearly show visual mods. I'm sure I've seen eve and scatterer. But I wonder if they work straight out of the box or not or whether I have to put in manual labor to get it to work right. Any specific direction within this thread or other threads that will help me learn what I need to know?
What visual mods have you installed on your RSS? Any pics that I might be enticed with? can be direct links or albums if you don't want to litter them in this thread.