[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

The planets are scaled to real earth scale so that dV, gravity, etc. will be correct. Rocket sizes will be in 64% scale, so as not to break the game with 10-15m diameter parts. I'll be working with ferram to make sure the aerodynamics don't change from real life.

And I can't help but note that just few days ago everybody was certain this is impossible :cool:

that's why that's a word I avoid like the plague.

they said the same about redefining gravity vectors in Crysis until someone went and did it.

The game certainly can't handle the sheer size rockets need to be with this. That said, it's extremely satisfying when it even launches at this point.

Actually it can. My rocket on screenshot contains around 70 parts, and most of them are struts :-)

Actually it can. My rocket on screenshot contains around 70 parts, and most of them are struts :-)

Yeah I just managed orbit as well. Not many parts but that wobbling on the pad makes it hard. I guess the easiest way is to spam space and hope it goes up fast enough.

surprisingly, the increased distance from Kerbol without the rescale of Kerbol makes sunrise and -set look way more awesome, not to mention the increased time it takes to set/rise.

LnSsmLA.jpg

jJxK5Aw.png

and these aren't even the prettiest screenshots.

the re-entry effects are WAY cooler aswell, makes DRE more fun to play with too.

Stockish Koyuz lifter used to get a payload of 3.4t into orbit, starting at 243t launchpad weight, using up 9.4km/s Dv to orbit, keeping 550m/s for orbital maneuvres + more than enough RCS to dock.

Loving this mod (also laughing at KLF people orbiting stock kerbin deep within Kearth).

Additionally, I believe a DREC heat multiplier of 20 instead of 25 will work, maybe 15.. 10 seems to make this too easy.

no idea how to embed an album, so : http://imgur.com/a/KR55S/embed

Edited by Visari
adding stuff

Yeah I just managed orbit as well. Not many parts but that wobbling on the pad makes it hard. I guess the easiest way is to spam space and hope it goes up fast enough.

Use heavy struts from KW Rocketry pack - they seem to work perfectly to combat wobble if applied to right places.

Am I crazy for thinking the first thing I should build with this being "A Space Shuttle of course!"?

odwrgj2n.jnt.jpg

lkdtogbh.0ep.jpg

Current issue impeding progress on getting an orbiter that can orbit: Figuring out how to keep the stack stable after LRBs are jettisoned, forgot to take a screenshot of the whole thing pointing in the wrong direction after the jettison. :(

Current issue impeding progress on getting an orbiter that can orbit: Figuring out how to keep the stack stable after LRBs are jettisoned, forgot to take a screenshot of the whole thing pointing in the wrong direction after the jettison. :(

When I built my shuttle in 0.21, the biggest issue I had in balancing after SRB staging was keeping the external fuel tank balanced using TAC balancer. Dont know if that would help you since you're using stretchy tanks, but fuel imbalance in that tank is usually what causes the the SRB-less design to get bottom-flippy.

Great looking shuttle!

When I built my shuttle in 0.21, the biggest issue I had in balancing after SRB staging was keeping the external fuel tank balanced using TAC balancer. Dont know if that would help you since you're using stretchy tanks, but fuel imbalance in that tank is usually what causes the the SRB-less design to get bottom-flippy.

Well it's less flipping and more it starts spinning in such a way that it ends up pointing down.

I think I may or may not have a design that's close to avoiding the issue but I'm going need to add some more separators to the LRBs since one of them ended up destroying one of the three control surfaces when I was testing the addition of SAS wheels to the external tanks, and the bump it gave the shuttle just caused things to spiral out of control...

Or maybe I can put the separators at an angle so it both moves away from the external tank and the shuttle's wings...

(And I may or may not end up having to do a OMS redesign since their current positions + little gimballing range means I can't use much thrust from them without unintended downward force...)

what would you say about just like 60% scale or something? I mean that's a somewhat accepted standard for real-world to KSP scale. Sombody in the development thread made a good point that 12m diameter rockets (which have been made) crash the game. Thus a 1:1 scale is a bit of a crapshoot in regard to it. IDK though :P its cool that you made this.

Guys, GUYS!!! SLOW DOWN!!!

Could you at least consider just scaling Kerbolar system to reasonable sizes (aka everything x10) instead of turning it into Solar sytstem? I've seen voices about not only adjusting all parameters so each planet has exactly the same radius etc. as their RL Sol counterparts but also moving planets arround. But it is NOT Solar system, it's the Kerbolar system, the home of Kerbals. Unless someone develops "human mod" for KSP, I think scaling everthing up times ten, randomizing a tiny bit (bc perfect 6000km diameter is not believable but e.g 6129 is), tilting rotational axes randomly and adjusting orbital speeds/periods, rotational speeds and gravitational accelerations of planets so that they make sense for realistic densities is enough. When I saw the realitic kerbol system in add on development forum what I thought of was making Kerbol system reasonable not turning it into Sol. The problem with this game never was with Kerbals being in it but with ridicoulus body parameters, with e.g Kerbin having 600km diameter and at the same time having atmosphere and 1g on surface suggesting that it is made of dark mater or something.