[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Yes. Minmus is where it used to be, which is about 1/3 the way to the Moon. Moon also has the same size and everything.

So you meant to answer no, the distance from Kerbin to Minmus is still 1/3 the distance from Earth to the Moon?

Guys, GUYS!!! SLOW DOWN!!!

First of all, please stop shouting - no need for caps.

Second, for me and I suppose for most other users of that mod KSP is a game about rockets and space planes, probes and stations, but NOT about kerbals. I couldn't care less who sits in the capsule - be it kerbals, turtles, humans or anybody else. But the size being real is important to me as it allows me to do many things like repeating real-life missions using real-life data.

So you meant to answer no, the distance from Kerbin to Minmus is still 1/3 the distance from Earth to the Moon?

No, Minmus was not modified, the Mun is where it should be realistically.

First of all, please stop shouting - no need for caps.

Second, for me and I suppose for most other users of that mod KSP is a game about rockets and space planes, probes and stations, but NOT about kerbals. I couldn't care less who sits in the capsule - be it kerbals, turtles, humans or anybody else. But the size being real is important to me as it allows me to do many things like repeating real-life missions using real-life data.

And gives you a fine, fine appreciation for the challenge real life rocket engineers and scientists have to go through.

Granted they had the ability to make it so their flight computers knew what to do with a 21 gimbal range but still. :P

Granted they had the ability to make it so their flight computers knew what to do with a 21 gimbal range but still. :P

Nothing stops us from developing a mod that would take advantage of such ranges. It's a technical problem, and as such could be solved using technical means. There is nothing in KSP that would preclude us from doing this (infact if there is anything that this mod teaches us about, is that nobody should ever shrug off problem as "unsolvable" unless he(she) puts significant effort in looking for ways to solve it first, and even then "unsolvable" status is debatable).

Guys, GUYS!!! SLOW DOWN!!!

Could you at least consider just scaling Kerbolar system to reasonable sizes (aka everything x10) instead of turning it into Solar sytstem? I've seen voices about not only adjusting all parameters so each planet has exactly the same radius etc. as their RL Sol counterparts but also moving planets arround. But it is NOT Solar system, it's the Kerbolar system, the home of Kerbals. Unless someone develops "human mod" for KSP, I think scaling everthing up times ten, randomizing a tiny bit (bc perfect 6000km diameter is not believable but e.g 6129 is), tilting rotational axes randomly and adjusting orbital speeds/periods, rotational speeds and gravitational accelerations of planets so that they make sense for realistic densities is enough. When I saw the realitic kerbol system in add on development forum what I thought of was making Kerbol system reasonable not turning it into Sol. The problem with this game never was with Kerbals being in it but with ridicoulus body parameters, with e.g Kerbin having 600km diameter and at the same time having atmosphere and 1g on surface suggesting that it is made of dark mater or something.

Don'y speak for other people. I WANT a real life SOL solar system. I want to visit Jupiter and Saturn with some of their amazing moons. SO you don't want to? Fine,but down rain on our parade.

So launching a rocket from This kerbin is like making orbit around jool but without the and thick ness

Dev question

Can you change the orbits of any celestial body and there SOI

I wanna see if i can make Laythe its own planet and eeloo its mun

Edited by Dooz

Nothing stops us from developing a mod that would take advantage of such ranges. It's a technical problem, and as such could be solved using technical means. There is nothing in KSP that would preclude us from doing this (infact if there is anything that this mod teaches us about, is that nobody should ever shrug off problem as "unsolvable" unless he(she) puts significant effort in looking for ways to solve it first, and even then "unsolvable" status is debatable).

From the testing I've done, apparently that mod is the current stock SAS. (it's the only one that seems to be able to handle the gimbal range barring the current problem of it freaking out when the SSME has to do all the work, MechJeb just can't seem to cope and KCA is relying too much on controlling the throttle than using the gimbal ranges.)

Though I think I'm going try reconstructing the stack entirely, my attempts at stabilization resulted in...

jtunqgcl.vzz.jpg

Well Jeb certainly enjoyed the experience of riding what essentially become a space bull. A very, very angry space bull.

EDIT: All right, reconstructed the stack into something smaller, I think it should be something that could make an orbit.

Hypothetically anyway. Probably depends on me learning just how to make a proper gravity turn on something as large as Kearth.

Edited by Exposure

I would certainly enjoy a full scale solar system. I think the distances might become a little boring after a while - maybe that needs to be adressed in a technical matter - but the opportunities for learning about proper space flight will only increase.

As long as you can still plan, design and launch working rockets on your own (not needing an entire design team) I will be happy. I guess this also applies to driving, as controlling a craft for 18 hours straigth is not feasible or fun, even through kOS or some similar solution.

Edited by Camacha

What we need is an additional level of physics timewarp and an additional level of normal timewarp. That would help with longer distances.

Regarding planet sizes, orbits, etc., as asmi says please don't argue here. If you want to _discuss_ it, please go to the Realism Overhaul thread in Add-on Development.

@Dooz, yep!

@Dragon01, isn't 100,000x enough?

Regarding Minimus: someone had a good idea on the Realism Overhaul thread: treat it as a captured asteroid or something. So a highly eccentric orbit.

Now, regarding RemoteTech. Before I said it was incompatible. Well, I finally looked through the code and found Kerbin's radius was hardcoded. So I fixed that. I now offer a build of good ol' RemoteTech 1 optimized for this mod, to hold us over until Cilph releases RT2.

Here's a copy of my fork. It has my previous changes as described in the RT thread: the new antenna range calculation, the new GUI info, the ability to use multiple antennae (though each additional antenna beyond the first contributes only 1/4 its range), and support for a Range Multiplier so you can play with this mod.

If you want stock RT, set those two new things to off in the Settings.cfg file, and set Range Mult to 1.0

(In RemoteTech/Plugins/PluginData/RemoteTech/Settings.cfg)

Extract your archive to KSP/GameData/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/16928ut2x37kih8/MyRemoteTech.zip

Thanks! I'll try it with one of the high resolution kerbin replacement packs. I don't know if somebody mentioned a problem with launch clamps (if yes, excuse me). Once I'm on the launch pad it gets somewhat unstable itself by turning on it's side and else.

lots of playtesting today.

a compilation of issues/bugs so far:

- Kerbin/Mün textures are lowres (even if using Universe Replacer with 8k mod or similar).

- Kerbin textures present artifacts, especially around lakes (even does this in stock ksp, but far worse now).

- original Mün 3d terrain and mapview terrain are textures that can only be viewed at certain angles, they can disappear, you can fly under them. actual terrain underneath (seems about 20-30km below original terrain on average) can be landed on, but is fairly flat.

- KSC is located above water.

- Buildings in Space Center cannot be easily clicked on, in addition to starting camera being mislocated.

- Orbital lines tend to disappear at times

- Objects landed on Kerbin can be destroyed by G forces or impact once focused, in one case leaving behind 2 parachutes in the air that were moving at ~450 surface speed, 0 orbit speed, with mach effects and all, but actually sitting still on the ground.

- Some part parts of combinations of parts can get excessively wobbly when forces are acted upon them.

- This mod is too awesome.

In other news, I was 1km/s short of landing my first Mün probe :( (takes about 15-17 km/s Dv total from KSC, I think)

I have pictures of some events, request what you need.

Please post all pics here, in this thread. :)

Visari: thanks for that!

I don't think there's anything we can do about Kerbin textures, I'm sorry to say--you can't load larger planet textures than 8192x4096 (check the UR thread). :\

Haven't been to Mun yet--wonder why that is. I'll try going there.

Not having the peninsula KSC is on (which is a model, not part of the planet terrain) and the hard-to-click on are known bugs per readme. I'm working on them...

Orbital lines...yeah, there's maybe some other place where planet radius is stored for Planetarium view.

The G-force thing is weird, hadn't encountered that. I'll ponder, but nothing springs to mind why that is.

Re: wobble, ferram was considering making a plugin to deal with joints. I (and every other person ever, I think) rather hope he does!

...now I'm going to see if I can get a probe to the moon myself!