[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Planets (PQS, planet quadtree sphere) can have various mods applied to control vertex height when building vertices. I tweaked some of the values for some of the mods. It's in the github repo if you want to look through (both code and CFG).

ZRM has been a big help here; we've been chatting about this stuff, and he sent me his dumps of the stock settings for the various PQSMods on the bodies.

i cant wait till u put out the version with the other planets redone. i plan to use this mod over the other planet mod. the other planet mod also uses to much ram(around 600 if i judged right)

Some more dev shots (sorry about the dimness, they were much brighter ingame):

http://imgur.com/a/0dR9E

This is the terrain in the area around KSP. We haz a coastline now with little inlets!

Nice, but IMO the coastline needs to be cleaned up just a bit. The hills and mountains look okay. What's the altitude range like now? Also, in the Kerbin data I forgot to include the mod for the flattened area around the KSC. It looks a bit out of place now that it's not on the coast. I'll send its details and then you could modify it a bit, perhaps making it tighter around the KSC. It's a PQSMod_MapDecalTangent if you hadn't figured that out yet.

We'll also have to deal with the Scaled Space model at some point. I'll explain how to regenerate it later.

Thanks!

A notice: I have redone terrain for Earthbin and the Moon. Check the squadcast this afternoon/evening/whatevs for details, and I'll be posting v5 then after a couple final tests.

Changelog

v5 -- \/

*Every KSP body is now a proxy for a body in the real solar system. However, only the terrains of Kerbin and Mun are edited; the others are merely rescaled.

*Added configurable timewarp. By default 5 and 50 are removed and instead 1 million x and 6m x are added on at the end.

*Edited terrain generator for Kerbin and Mun.

*More support for parameters in the config file.

Planets included (no new graphics for now, excepting Kerbin and Mun)

Mercury is represented by Moho

Venus is represented by Eve

Earth is represented by Kerbin

Moon is represented by Mun

Mars is represented by Duna

Phobos is represented by Bop

Deimos is represented by Gilly

Jupiter is represented by Jool

Io is represented by Pol

Europa is represented by Eeloo

Ganymede is represented by Tylo

Callisto is represented by Ike

Saturn is represented by Dres

Titan is represented by Laythe

Uranus is represented by Minmus

Pluto is represented by Vall

It probably should. Really, I think that it'd be a good idea to stop at Jupiter or Saturn with this mod, and use Kragathea's mod to add more planets and perhaps even some asteroids.

Think I might have encountered a bug:

1NmTdTL.png

Note the orbital speed. Shouldn't it be around 400m/s (as for equator)?

Last time I've got it right was v2. Both v3 and v4 give 1853.3m/s.

Maybe it's because my OS is Linux x86_64.

Installed mods: Real Solar System v4, FAR, DR, MFT real tanks, VOID, Engineer, MechJeb

v5 is uploaded. I have not had a chance to visit all the rescaled bodies, so I don't know what people will encounter. I will release MFS v3.1 and ST_SRB v5 later, along with configs for rbray's mod for use with this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/akw0f4r0ir8utnd/RealSolarSystem_v5.zip

Final Changelog:

*Every KSP body is now a proxy for a body in the real solar system. However, only the terrains of Kerbin and Mun are edited; the others are merely rescaled.

*Added configurable timewarp. By default 5 and 50 are removed and instead 1 million x and 6m x are added on at the end.

*Edited terrain generator for Kerbin and Mun.

*More support for parameters in the config file.

*Using Majiir's KSPAddonFixed.

*Moved KSC to be nearer the shore.

Very nice work but there are some problems with the other planets. I took a look at them with hyperedit to see if everything is fine with all but I encountered some weird issues. Different from the ones with the Kerbin system.

Here's Duna:

This is the light side:

LItVuTZ.png

This is the dark side:

jMFvQza.png

Dres didn't show up at all somehow on a higher orbit than 800,000m (but it did at 80,000m). Interestingly Jool didn't have any problem for now. I didn't check the others yet.

Edited by Reddragon

I don't care about Neptune or Uranus that much, but I do want something to be Saturn (and something else Titan) so people can do Cassini-Huygens missions.

Reddragon, that's strange; last we tested Duna was ok.

Also, since radius is a physical characteristic I did rescale it for all bodies. When I said no new graphics, I meant I hadn't changed color or terrain (other than for Earth/Moon); I certainly did change radius. :)