[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

iVG: Need the F3 log. Do they just explode, or do they overheat/overG? The latter is a known issue with DRE, which I'm working on, but the best fix yet is F9 or revert. :(

Sparker: Yes I plan to move KSC, or rather make many KSCs. I mean, my actual plan is to make Kerbin Earth, so obviously KSC will have to move. But I plan to have KSC, Kourou, Baikonour, Woomera, V-berg, etc.

metaphor: Cool! Also, you don't need UR: since Planet Factory is a mod, you can just manually replace the textures yourself. ;)

The only reason we need UR is because Squad locked up their assets in KSP_Data.

iVG: Need the F3 log. Do they just explode, or do they overheat/overG? The latter is a known issue with DRE, which I'm working on, but the best fix yet is F9 or revert. :(

Sparker: Yes I plan to move KSC, or rather make many KSCs. I mean, my actual plan is to make Kerbin Earth, so obviously KSC will have to move. But I plan to have KSC, Kourou, Baikonour, Woomera, V-berg, etc.

metaphor: Cool! Also, you don't need UR: since Planet Factory is a mod, you can just manually replace the textures yourself. ;)

The only reason we need UR is because Squad locked up their assets in KSP_Data.

When you refer to multiple KSCs, are you going to try to make it possible to launch from them?

@Nathan can you please edit the height at which the planet texture changes?

Here is my camera at around 70km

6lgzgF5QJeJkiTGOn43y4ihdrV0wl.jpg

And here it is at like 100km

6lgzf0jh9F3Q41Qiumliahfb98QR2.jpg

Can you please change the texture swap altitude to 600km? or maybe even 1000km?

With kerbal joint reinforcement - yes. Also add some of the heavy struts from KW rocketry. Connect top to the bottom tank directly, then add some struts between the decoupler and tanks as well. The interstages might look ugly but don't wobble if constructed correctly.

Interesting... well that gives me hope... (btw, I was thinking about a single part of these dimensions:

No Engines: 30.

Gross mass: 3,800,000 kg (8,300,000 lb).

Unfuelled mass: 375,000 kg (826,000 lb).

Height: 50.00 m (164.00 ft).

Diameter: 10.00 m (32.00 ft).

Span: 17.00 m (55.00 ft).

Thrust: 85,300.00 kN (19,176,200 lbf).

Specific impulse: 330 s.

Specific impulse sea level: 296 s.

Burn time: 130 s. )

((obviously, its the N-IM 1st stage... atm I'm collecting data and playing around with excel to see how useful the parts I would suggest would be...) for that I need to know delta-v to a 51.60 200km orbit... anyone who would bother telling me? I was thinking that its 9700m/s, but it might be as low as 9500...)

Use the Universe Replacer images Nathan posted a while back. I would upload it but I don't have it on my laptop.

Yes I have universe replacer but i disabled it for this. Universe replacer only allows textures up to 8K which is still far far too blury at 90km with RSS. If the texture swap altitude were adjusted however it would fix this.

Zander: play with the SSF and PQSfade settings in RealSolarSystem.cfg. That's what controls the swap distance between PQS and scaled space. You want your SSFEnd to be the same distance as PQSfadeStart for obvious reasons.

dimovski: usual figure is 9.3km/s. You can get by with a bit less, however, and it depends on how much you lose by firing in atmosphere where you have lower Isp.

Nathan, It's the 'Collided into launch pad' thing. No over-g's, not overheating...

Here is some of the output_log for the event:

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

RTShortAntenna1 collided into Fuel Tank - relative velocity: 9869.554 - no impact momentum (no RB)

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

RTShortAntenna1 Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5

[RTShortAntenna1]: Deactivated

[20:14:13]: Reflectron DP-10 collided into Launch Pad.

Edited by iVG

Also what is the workaround for solar panels not producing energy soon after you get out of Kerbin SOI? They work fine in orbit of Kerbin but as soon as you get around Duna they produce nothing.

I'm having some troubles with my ascent and (zero-atmosphere) landing profiles:

#1 Ascent:

Currently I try to start my gravity turn relatively early at around 1-2km. However, i try to push through the thick atmosphere as fast as I can at around 1.8 TWR and below 220m/s. After which I throttle down and try to keep my apoapsis not too far from my current altitude(at a 30 to 60 second Time to Apoapsis so that, by my logic, I don't lose it again due to atmospheric drag). So far this has worked for me. But I'm not sure this is the most efficient launch. I have gotten orbit with 9100m/s dV to an equatorial LKO(350km x 350km) with my CTV(Crew Transfer Vehicle) which has RCS and an additional 500m/s dV for orbital operations afterwards. This using FAR, KW Rocketry, MFS RFRM and procedural fairings. Should I find some better profile? Thrust less/more in some places?

#2 Munar/Zero-atmosphere landings:

I'm struggling to adjust to the larger and longer descents in this mod. i did a Munar landing and, well, it went fine but was probably very inefficient. I set my periapsis at 10km behind my target landing site. I then tried to keep my TWR to around 1.5 whilst controlling my vertical speed with pitch. I touched down around 10 seconds after zeroing my horizontal speed(purely by chance). Is there a better method to do this? I don't want to waste fuel on keeping my vertical speed low during a 3 minute burn to burn off my horizontal speed.

ANWRocketMan: Don't throttle down, there _isn't_ a thick atmosphere. Also you need to turn no later than velocity=100m/s. That should be around 0.3-1.5km, depending on launch TWR. A good launch TWR is 1.2 sea level TWR BTW, and you turn start at 1.3km or so. Ferram himself commented a page or two back to someone with a similar question.

Any time you're not running at 100% thrust you're wasting mass (you could have used a lighter engine, and you're suffering more gravity losses than you could/wasting the Oberth effect).

Re: #2, it takes ~1800-2000m/s to land on the moon; Apollo LM budgeted 2400 for DOI, descent, and hover. If you're getting 1800, you're flying a near-optimal descent.

I'm having some troubles with my ascent and (zero-atmosphere) landing profiles:

#1 Ascent:

Currently I try to start my gravity turn relatively early at around 1-2km. However, i try to push through the thick atmosphere as fast as I can at around 1.8 TWR and below 220m/s. After which I throttle down and try to keep my apoapsis not too far from my current altitude(at a 30 to 60 second Time to Apoapsis so that, by my logic, I don't lose it again due to atmospheric drag). So far this has worked for me. But I'm not sure this is the most efficient launch. I have gotten orbit with 9100m/s dV to an equatorial LKO(350km x 350km) with my CTV(Crew Transfer Vehicle) which has RCS and an additional 500m/s dV for orbital operations afterwards. This using FAR, KW Rocketry, MFS RFRM and procedural fairings. Should I find some better profile? Thrust less/more in some places?

#2 Munar/Zero-atmosphere landings:

I'm struggling to adjust to the larger and longer descents in this mod. i did a Munar landing and, well, it went fine but was probably very inefficient. I set my periapsis at 10km behind my target landing site. I then tried to keep my TWR to around 1.5 whilst controlling my vertical speed with pitch. I touched down around 10 seconds after zeroing my horizontal speed(purely by chance). Is there a better method to do this? I don't want to waste fuel on keeping my vertical speed low during a 3 minute burn to burn off my horizontal speed.

9100 m/s is really good, less delta-v used than most real rockets. Lunar descent from a 100 km orbit (or ascent) takes a minimum of 1726 m/s with no gravity losses. So if you can do it with 1800 m/s that's really good.