[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Nathan, when I click on a fuel tank, I only get Liquid fuel, Oxidiser, Methane, Liquid Oxygen, MMH, NO4 and Aerosene. I see people talking about Kerosene and other fuels...?

Well Kerosene is the normal Liquid Fuel which is still named LiquidFuel.. Concerning others you may also miss Syntin which is a russian synthetic propellant added in MFSC v3.3. But I don't know which exactly you also heard of and if any are missing. Nathan shall tell you if you miss some fuels....Either way better update MFSC if you haven't already......

8.9 km/s to 200km orbit - and dual satellite deployment to GTO

That's not correct. 8.9 is your atmospheric deltaV. As you spend most of the time out of the atmosphere its more like 10 km/s on the rocket you've shown.

Here she is:

3Z7OsMZ.jpg

She's quite tall.

I9k8VA7.jpg

For some reason MJ2's dV expended doesn't seem to be working.

This ascent wasn't as good as the previous one but it's close enough. The reason I didn't show final orbit is because she lacks the RCS to point herself towards node prograde and is thus unable to complete it.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but substracting the dV required for the circularization (63.1) from the leftover dV (646) and then substracting it from the total starting dV (9238) should give me the total dV expended which would be 8655.1 dV.

Edited by MAKC

Total dV expended. I'll get some pictures later.

Doing some simple calculations it seems like your rocket looses about 1677 m/s delta-v to atmospheric drag, which seems alright to me. The payload is about 3.2% of the total mass as mentioned before. To put this into context, the space shuttle is somewhere between 3.1-4.3% depending on the final orbit parameters(this is counting the orbiter itself as payload). Looking at the numbers it seems to be okay but I am sure there are other factors which I have missed. In KSP the launch happens from the equator so there is a pretty big speed boost from that.

That's not correct. 8.9 is your atmospheric deltaV. As you spend most of the time out of the atmosphere its more like 10 km/s on the rocket you've shown.

Have you noticed the third stage cuts off with still 1230m/s in the tank? First three stages have 10226 m/s vacuum dv. Thus expended 8996 m/s of vacuum dv.

Hmm I should have rounded to 9.0 then :)

Doing some simple calculations it seems like your rocket looses about 1677 m/s delta-v to atmospheric drag

No way, if anything is MechJeb gravity losses dv expended counter that stops counting sometimes (occurs sometimes with me too).

Drag losses should be at 300m/s max, and that is if you screw up. Regular real life rockets lose 150m/s.

MAKC care to share the .craft file? It seems strange to me that it shows only two stages in MJ deltaV stats, when it is three right? (boosters, core and upper)? And you seem to have used MJ ascent AP is that right?

Edited by SFJackBauer

No way, if anything is MechJeb gravity losses dv expended counter that stops counting sometimes (occurs sometimes with me too).

You are totally right. I was thinking of delta-v loss in general but for some reason i labeled it all as drag losses as I was writing.

MAKC: I'll check the panels. Again. Also, re: your launcher, it looks pretty streamlined. What Cd do you get? Also, you're running a much higher TWR than most real life launchers. That will help minimize gravity losses.

(Also, update your MJ to latest dev build! Then hit All Stats, and up will pop Sea Level TWR column.)

I so wanted to play this with the new Realism Overhaul up now (although a lot of other parts must be resized there too) but atm I'm having problems with extremely wobbly parts although using KJR. Well will use a fresh install again and put all in again but if it keeps that wobbly for me, I will sadly continue to use stock size parts or even stock size Sun System.

If you're still having problems with solar panels (Kass et al) try placing this file in the RealSolarSystem folder (GameData/RealSolarSystem)

If asked if you want to overwrite the existing file, yes you do. And you should be out of the game so you can restart it.

RealSolarSystemSettings.cfg

(Nathan, the numbers need to be exp notation. Or at least the big ones; I did them all like that just because...)

I'm still having solar panel issues. Problem is I don't know if it's this or another mod that is the problem. I also have KSPI installed as well as a host of other mods. I recently picked up on the coolness that is RT2 so want to start putting up a communication network and want to be able to put up semi realistic tiny probes that utilise solar power.

I have recently (about 10 mins ago) updated to KSPI v0.8 and I also copied in those settings as kindly provided by Starwaster (thanks buddy).

The problem is I think one of these configuration files is backwards or something. I get more power the further from the Sun I am.

Here I am orbiting the planet closest to the sun.

j48xHHt.jpg

But then when I go all the way to Jool I suddenly seem to get this.

MivKbba.jpg

On the surface of Kerbin with the same panel, I have a sun exposure of 1.00 with an energy production of 1.32.

Anyone able to help me out please and let me know where to begin? :)

Is there a version of this mod with the realistic sizes and distances, but no relocated bodies? I want the challenge of bigger planets, but I'd still like to be in the Kerbal solar system, not the real-life one.

You can change the planets' orbits and sizes and physical parameters to whatever you want using the config file (KSP/GameData/RealSolarSystem/RealSolarSystem.cfg).

You can get orbital data for the KSP planets from the KSP wiki.

You can't really have a "realistic size" for all KSP planets since a lot of them don't have real counterparts.

Edited by metaphor

I'm still having solar panel issues. Problem is I don't know if it's this or another mod that is the problem. I also have KSPI installed as well as a host of other mods. I recently picked up on the coolness that is RT2 so want to start putting up a communication network and want to be able to put up semi realistic tiny probes that utilise solar power.

Anyone able to help me out please and let me know where to begin? :)

Hi, I had the same problem. None of the squad solar panels worked. I also have KSPI installed. Read this post

Essentially, KSPI modifies the power curves as well. I followed his instructions of "deleting everything in the GameData/WarpPlugin/Additions folder." Now my Squad panels work just fine. But if you are using NKReal or NK's realism overhaul, make sure to bring enough panels! The production is low - especially out past Joolpiter.

P.S. I just realized that KSPI was updated...I hope that fix still works. I would hate to tell Jebediah that the reason for his impending doom, and soon-to-be orbital coffin, is that I updated from 7.9 to 8.0. :huh:

P.P.S. Just updated and the fix still works. Looks like Jebediah will live...for now.

Edited by Sternface

Hi, I had the same problem. None of the squad solar panels worked. I also have KSPI installed. Read this post

Essentially, KSPI modifies the power curves as well. I followed his instructions of "deleting everything in the GameData/WarpPlugin/Additions folder." Now my Squad panels work just fine. But if you are using NKReal or NK's realism overhaul, make sure to bring enough panels! The production is low - especially out past Joolpiter.

P.S. I just realized that KSPI was updated...I hope that fix still works. I would hate to tell Jebediah that the reason for his impending doom, and soon-to-be orbital coffin, is that I updated from 7.9 to 8.0. :huh:

P.P.S. Just updated and the fix still works. Looks like Jebediah will live...for now.

Awesome, it's all sorted now and I thank you very much Sternface :)

You can change the planets' orbits and sizes and physical parameters to whatever you want using the config file (KSP/GameData/RealSolarSystem/RealSolarSystem.cfg).

You can get orbital data for the KSP planets from the KSP wiki.

You can't really have a "realistic size" for all KSP planets since a lot of them don't have real counterparts.

Well, as far as I've heard, distances (both planet radii and orbital axes) in KSP are 1/11th of what they would be for a hypothetical Kerbol system in the real universe. Also, although I could, given a moderate amount of time and effort, do it myself, I was asking if anyone has the config file already made, as a quick skim of the thread shows that there is some demand for it. Also, I won't have enough free time to do it until probably a month or two from now.

Edited by chaos_forge

Might be a silly question, but is there any way to change the display name of the ingame planets? I've followed Metaphor's example (using PlanetFactory and Universe Replacer to replicate the solar system) but all the planets are still using their original names, which is slightly immersion breaking.

Well, as far as I've heard, distances (both planet radii and orbital axes) in KSP are 1/11th of what they would be for a hypothetical Kerbol system in the real universe.

No such system couldn't exist in real life.

Also, although I could, given a moderate amount of time and effort, do it myself, I was asking if anyone has the config file already made, as a quick skim of the thread shows that there is some demand for it. Also, I won't have enough free time to do it until probably a month or two from now.

So you're saying is that you've got hours to play the game, but you don't have ~15 minutes to make config for yourself? In my world this is called "being lazy" :)