[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

How many of the parts are actually resized at this point in time? I set up a separate installation for this mod and as I'm starting career mode, I have a 2m pod with 1.25m fuel tanks and engines (which are also renamed???). Help please...Gets me thinking that this mod is still a huge WIP but then I see things like replications of Voyager and Cassini and I think I'm just doing something wrong here.

This mod pretty much requires StretchyTanks/SRBs, and now that I have that mod I can't imagine why I didn't install it sooner. Supports everything.

Hi guys!!! I created addons but then stop doing it, now I'm ready to continue working on their addons, when I learned about RSS addon immediately had the idea to create a rocket with real parameters. I took my old patterns of various rocket, and I increased the Saturn 5 to almost actual size.

3686827_m.png

But I have to ask you a few questions 1. There is a fashion for the extension of the hangar?, Rocket very large. 2. When I get to work with the Apollo-lunar module you can help me??? I can not make the open hatches.

Nathan,

I know you're a redditor. Have you thought about creating a RSS subreddit so we can all share tips, designs, and tweaks with each other in an easier-to-search fashion?

Just a thought.

Hello! I must say I absolutely adore this RSS mod (and the withfollowing ones). It really spices up an already amazing game! :D It is a bit of a struggle to get the mods going, though, not to mention the 20-30 minute boot times because there is just so much to load! (And that goes really slowly, for some reason. :P ) I do believe I've almost got it now. The Solar System has the right objects in their right orbits, and some of the planets have the right textures, too! (Moho definitely looks like Mercury! :D ) Eve is, however, still purple, Jool is still green, and SOMEHOW the texture of Mars ended up on my Uranus. xD

It all matters little, though, as I have yet to land on the moon on this pack, and I am having a blast! One side effect though is that some of the letters on a certain type of button (think Science Transmissions or loading saves) are just... gone. My Solar save is now called S r, and whenever I do science, I have the option to K p the data. Does anyone have any idea on what happened? xD

One side effect though is that some of the letters on a certain type of button (think Science Transmissions or loading saves) are just... gone. My Solar save is now called S r, and whenever I do science, I have the option to K p the data. Does anyone have any idea on what happened? xD

This happens when you shrink the KSP window during loading. If you do that, sometimes the font used by the game looses letters for some reason.

I'm assuming that's what you do because of the long load times you mentioned.

If you just start the game and leave it in the foreground (don't shrink the window) and go do something else till it finishes loading, the missing letter problem does not seem to happen.

Having a bug, not sure if RSS is at fault or not. My Curiosity replica, which functioned perfectly in its EDL test on Earth, explodes every time I come out of time warp in deep space enroute to Mars. After that, every time I reload my quicksave (which loaded fine the first time and loads fine every time I restart KSP) it explodes again. The log file says some random set of parts "collided into the launch pad".

Anyone have a clue of what's going on?

So just mod the cfg's for career to include the proper stretchytanks earlier I guess is the solution then? What about the engines though? Most (all?) are unmodified from 1.25m/2.5m.

The Realism Overhaul pack (a companion mod for this) has resized engines. And I am working on another set of cfgs to set engines to real sizes and stats.

How do I offset the centre of mass on the Mk 1-2 pod, for more realistic reentrys? I don't want to dl the rescaled parts pack, just want to know how to offset it...

Add

COMOffset = ?, ?, ?

line to the .cfg, where the ? are offset in X, Y and Z coordinates.

How do I offset the centre of mass on the Mk 1-2 pod, for more realistic reentrys? I don't want to dl the rescaled parts pack, just want to know how to offset it...

In addition to the com offset as jack instructs, if you have B9 installed give an airbrake a try. (Or maybe in place of)

That's worked ok for me.

Having a bug, not sure if RSS is at fault or not. My Curiosity replica, which functioned perfectly in its EDL test on Earth, explodes every time I come out of time warp in deep space enroute to Mars. After that, every time I reload my quicksave (which loaded fine the first time and loads fine every time I restart KSP) it explodes again. The log file says some random set of parts "collided into the launch pad".

Anyone have a clue of what's going on?

I think that's KJR combined with the high speed time warps in RSS. Come out of TW GRADUALLY. Don't step down until the previous step down has finished

I think that's KJR combined with the high speed time warps in RSS. Come out of TW GRADUALLY. Don't step down until the previous step down has finished

Hey, that's it! Thank you so much, now all my hours of work are not wasted. On to skycrane.

Well crap, now I'm having another problem where my drogue chute won't deploy on Mars at all (again, it worked perfectly on Earth). Is this a FAR thing or an RSS thing? I don't think the pressure ever gets above 0.007 atm so it never partial deploys, so maybe therefore it never fully deploys?

Well crap, now I'm having another problem where my drogue chute won't deploy on Mars at all (again, it worked perfectly on Earth). Is this a FAR thing or an RSS thing? I don't think the pressure ever gets above 0.007 atm so it never partial deploys, so maybe therefore it never fully deploys?

to add on to Ferram's reply, get Stupid Chris real chutes mod. Gives even more control over chutes. You could even hack one onto your existing probe by editing the save. I have one on my RSS duna probe that mimics Curiosity's hypersonic chute nicely

Is it possible to get the vernal equinox coordinate? to calculate the right ascension of the ascending node and the argument of the perigee? Or what is the difference between those and LAN and LPE?

And about the LAN and LPE, Longitude based on what? Because Kerbin is always rotating, so does the LAN and LPE vary with time? (I guess it is based on the Longitude on Kerbin when you start the game or something)

(I know the game calculates all that by itself, but I'd like to know a bit more about this :)) Not sure if I should ask this here but didn't know where to!

Edited by AbeS

Is it possible to get the vernal equinox coordinate? to calculate the right ascension of the ascending node and the argument of the perigee? Or what is the difference between those and LAN and LPE?

And about the LAN and LPE, Longitude based on what? Because Kerbin is always rotating, so does the LAN and LPE vary with time? (I guess it is based on the Longitude on Kerbin when you start the game or something)

(I know the game calculates all that by itself, but I'd like to know a bit more about this :)) Not sure if I should ask this here but didn't know where to!

The Wikipedia page has a good description of the 6 orbital elements.

Orbit1.svg

The LAN (longitude of the ascending node) is the same thing as the right ascension of the ascending node. And the longitude of periapsis (LPE) is the same thing as the argument of periapsis. In a heliocentric reference frame, they are based on a reference direction which is the same for all planets (that reference direction is the Earth's vernal equinox, and the plane of reference is the ecliptic).

piwa: the extents of the VAB have been enlarged, but not the visual appearance.

amo28: I'm actually not a redditor. I've just posted a few times on /ksp in response to people asking about / showing off RSS. A subreddit sounds good, if you know how to / want to create it!

What I don't understand is how that reference direction is constant, and the LAN and LPE don't change (discarding the perturbations)

The vernal equinox is a point on the celestial sphere, the point of (0,0) declination and right ascension, and also one of the two points where the celestial equator intersects the ecliptic. If you were to draw an arrow from the center of the Earth towards the center of the Sun on March 21 (at the time that the Earth is exactly sideways with respect to the Sun), that would be the direction of the vernal equinox (it's somewhere in the constellation Pisces I think).

celestial-sphere-2.jpg

Since it's a reference direction and never varies with time, you can define angles with respect to it. The LAN and LPE don't change since they're defined with respect to that reference direction. (The LAN of a planet is the angle between vernal equinox-Sun-ascending node, and the LPE is the angle between vernal equinox-Sun-periapsis.) The direction used is always the Earth's vernal equinox, not the planet's, so as to have the same reference direction for everything in the solar system.