[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Trying your fix other Barry, but that dont look like the problem. it looks like the folder is named correctly... do I need both rss 5.5 and 6.1? barrys fix did not help Idid have to versions of madual manager but remiving the old one did not seem to help, how do I send my out put log?

Edited by tmikesecrist3

I might be wrong here, but it seems like the rotational axes of the planets aren't actually tilted. I noticed this when planning a lunar intercept, and my launch azimuth was way off. When I launch from Kerbin (Earth) into a perfectly equatorial orbit, it's also perfectly aligned with the ecliptic, when it should be 23.44 degrees offset. This means that the axial tilt is actually zero. Following that logic, the Mun should only be offset from the ecliptic by 5.145 degrees, but instead, it's 23.44 +/- 5.145. The same happens for Phobos and Deimos (can't remember which KPS moons they are).

Is this a limitation in the game, did I screw up the math somewhere, or am I using a messed up/old version?

I might be wrong here, but it seems like the rotational axes of the planets aren't actually tilted. I noticed this when planning a lunar intercept, and my launch azimuth was way off. When I launch from Kerbin (Earth) into a perfectly equatorial orbit, it's also perfectly aligned with the ecliptic, when it should be 23.44 degrees offset. This means that the axial tilt is actually zero. Following that logic, the Mun should only be offset from the ecliptic by 5.145 degrees, but instead, it's 23.44 +/- 5.145. The same happens for Phobos and Deimos (can't remember which KPS moons they are).

Is this a limitation in the game, did I screw up the math somewhere, or am I using a messed up/old version?

Yeah so far nobody has gotten axial tilt to work in the game, so RSS put all moons with respect to the parent's body equator (you'll notice the moons of Uranus are orbiting close to 90 degrees).

Yeah so far nobody has gotten axial tilt to work in the game, so RSS put all moons with respect to the parent's body equator (you'll notice the moons of Uranus are orbiting close to 90 degrees).

In that case, Nathan, where in the configs can I remove the non-functional axial tilt, and go back to having the axes of rotation be perpendicular to the equator for all planets? Since it doesn't work anyway, I'd rather get rid of it for now, and have all the moons with correct inclinations with respect to the ecliptic.

I tried playing the game with the "realistic mod-pack" and now when the game is loading, doesn't StretchySRB.

Actually, the game itself doesn't load because of this mod, I still need to remove the mod to see if it's the real problem.

EDIT: The game loaded without StretchySRB, but I think if I clicked the "start game" button, there would be no stock parts, WHY??? Because I was playing the game without any realism mods, and when I decided to "re-start" the game, I deleted EVERYTHING in the GameData folder, including the game's parts,flags,etc. Sorry about saying it was your mod, it was only me with my dumb way to delete all the mods :blush:

Edited by EuSouONumero345

In that case, Nathan, where in the configs can I remove the non-functional axial tilt, and go back to having the axes of rotation be perpendicular to the equator for all planets? Since it doesn't work anyway, I'd rather get rid of it for now, and have all the moons with correct inclinations with respect to the ecliptic.

All the planets have zero inclination with respect to the ecliptic in the stock game (not with respect to the parent body's equator). The "axial tilt" in the config file currently doesn't do anything, it's just a placeholder.

All the planets have zero inclination with respect to the ecliptic in the stock game (not with respect to the parent body's equator). The "axial tilt" in the config file currently doesn't do anything, it's just a placeholder.

But somewhere the numbers are doing something they shouldn't. The Moon currently has an inclination of 23.44 degrees with respect to the equator and the ecliptic, since they are the same thing. I just want to change it to what it should be, which is 5.145.

But somewhere the numbers are doing something they shouldn't. The Moon currently has an inclination of 23.44 degrees with respect to the equator and the ecliptic, since they are the same thing. I just want to change it to what it should be, which is 5.145.

Change the inclination in the config file to 5.145, which is correct relative to the equator without axial tilt.

Actually, from the gameplay standpoint, it makes more sense to use the inclination to the equator. It's what matters more for historical missions.

Actually, from the gameplay standpoint, it makes more sense to use the inclination to the equator. It's what matters more for historical missions.

I was trying to find a way to keep everything consistent, given that the game doesn't know how to do axial tilt, but if you change one thing, everything else cascades, so I just left it as-is.

On another note, does anyone know of a good launch window calculator that works for this? I can always go by angles, but porkchop plots are more detailed, and provide more precise info on orbital elements.

I was trying to find a way to keep everything consistent, given that the game doesn't know how to do axial tilt, but if you change one thing, everything else cascades, so I just left it as-is.

On another note, does anyone know of a good launch window calculator that works for this? I can always go by angles, but porkchop plots are more detailed, and provide more precise info on orbital elements.

Porkchop plot generator, you can also add custom bodies to calculate the plots for RSS

http://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/

Thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/33023-WEB-APP-Launch-Window-Planner?highlight=porkchop

AbeS: you get all the gold stars ever, that's awesome!

If a value isn't in the cfg, that means it's still the KSP default. I didn't add moons' LANs etc because I couldn't find them on wikipedia; asmi suggested pulling them from Orbiter (which will have the J2000 values) but I forgot to do it until now.

brooklyn666: the moons are, or supposed to be, inclined vs. the ecliptic *except* in the case of Luna, since there it matters more inclination vs equator (for launch purposes) than it does to have ecliptic-relative inclination (for interplanetary purposes) for the moon.

Axial tilt basically requires Mu to make some changes. He said he'd ask around re: maybe doing it for .24, but I haven't talked with him since (this was a good month or two before .23 came out).

Edited by NathanKell

I'd actually like some feedback from you guys here. I need a name for a rocket.

7kLWERz.png

Riddle me this: What do you name a rocket that fills the VAB with its boosters and first stage, creates 1.6 GN of thrust at launch, outweighs a Nimitz-class carrier, and lifts 5000 tonnes to orbit?

AbeS: you get all the gold stars ever, that's awesome!

If a value isn't in the cfg, that means it's still the KSP default. I didn't add moons' LANs etc because I couldn't find them on wikipedia; asmi suggested pulling them from Orbiter (which will have the J2000 values) but I forgot to do it until now.

I left the stock values for those, so it is accurate I think. BTW, I had to take the mass of Kerbin and Mun from Wikipedia because those weren't in the cfg either, and couldn't find them on github (didn't search thoroughly :))

AbeS: yeah, you can either get acceleration-from-gravity-at-sea-level from mass, or get mass from g; the latter is what's done for Mun and Kerbin, since that number is more important (in gameplay terms) than mass.

ferram4: ....jaw....floor.

I think you're well past ROMBUS-level huge and into Convair Aldebaran-level size. Although you have it well beat; Aldebaran has a wet mass of ~50kt, though a payload fraction of .5 due to NTR.

See also:

http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=7229 for scale comparisons.

As for names...Supernova?

Runabout? :P