[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Wait... so stock KSP launch planners work fine for the inner planets of RSS? Why does that seem like a stretch to me?

Just for the right phase angle for optimal launch windows, not including the inclination change or the right delta-v or the right epoch. For example, Kerbin to Eve launch windows are optimal when Eve is about 54 degrees behind Kerbin, so Earth to Venus launch windows are also optimal when Venus is about 54 degrees behind Earth.

Just for the right phase angle for optimal launch windows, not including the inclination change or the right delta-v or the right epoch. For example, Kerbin to Eve launch windows are optimal when Eve is about 54 degrees behind Kerbin, so Earth to Venus launch windows are also optimal when Venus is about 54 degrees behind Earth.

Ahh... ok, so the days are not going to match up, only the angles. Time to redownload protractor again I guess.

Ahh... ok, so the days are not going to match up, only the angles. Time to redownload protractor again I guess.

You must be using either Kerbal Engineer or MechJeb, you can just use them to see the angles.

You must be using either Kerbal Engineer or MechJeb, you can just use them to see the angles.

I know Mechjeb will show, but in career mode with RPL, you have to wait a while to get that information... didn't know Engineer also showed it.

EDIT: I guess it does... and here I was using protractor, engineer, and mechjeb...

Edited by SpacedInvader

A game breaking glitch-

The KSC is 236 meters under ground, i tried launching my sat and i went 236 meters up, BOOOM.

It hit the ground at 50m/s like falling at 50 m/s and hitting the ground.

HELP.

A game breaking glitch-

The KSC is 236 meters under ground, i tried launching my sat and i went 236 meters up, BOOOM.

It hit the ground at 50m/s like falling at 50 m/s and hitting the ground.

HELP.

Did you try searching the thread for an answer before asking this? There is a fix for this exact problem literally 7 posts above yours...

Regarding city lights. I have placed in the OP the citylights file that I use. It, too, is 8192, so Mac users might need to shrink it. It's based on the Blue Marble urban coverage map, given some noise by me so, for example, Long Island + NYC + Westchester + northeastern NJ isn't all one unbroken city. It also has a special carve-out so there isn't a city under the pad at the Cape.

It still needs some tweaking--and EVE very much needs more than one city texture, so there can be "towns" and "not-super-dense city" cities, which is much more what the urban coverage map is describing--but it seems ok. Submissions always gratefully accepted if you have a better one.

A PSA to all MechJeb users. If you use MechJeb, update to the latest dev release. There was a compatibility issue between MJ and RSS where MJ would not calculate transfers correctly. That has been fixed. In addition, Launch into Target Plane has been fixed (very useful for launching into the Moon's plane, for example).

Finally, I have added a link to the RSS Wiki to the OP. Please check it if you have questions, and please add to it if you have answers.

Ok so im not sure what has gone wrong, i have search this thread and have honestly read at least 100 pages of comment and nothing is helping

I have a fresh install and have only RSS installed and my KSC is underground and only the Earth moon system is scaled everything else is at its normal scale...i am stuck and have hit a dead end.

any ideas on where i and stuffing this up?

using KSP 0.23.5 and the most current RSS (6.1)

Thanks

Ok so im not sure what has gone wrong, i have search this thread and have honestly read at least 100 pages of comment and nothing is helping

I have a fresh install and have only RSS installed and my KSC is underground and only the Earth moon system is scaled everything else is at its normal scale...i am stuck and have hit a dead end.

any ideas on where i and stuffing this up?

using KSP 0.23.5 and the most current RSS (6.1)

Thanks

Sounds like you're missing a bracket or a dependency file somewhere in your config.

Benskie: post output_log.txt (or player.log for Mac/Linux). Sounds like an installation error.

Or that... I'm thinking we should put "Post your output_log.txt with any request for help" in big, bold, red lettering on the OP....

Occasionally it isn't necessary, when the problem is very obvious. But then the solution to said obvious problem should also be a FAQ. I have added a link in the OP to the wiki, where all can add/edit information.

I mean scaling the whole thing up without changing anything else.

I have lots of different annoying problems with config files for RSS.

The rescaled Kerbin makes textures look really weird and there are some water coloured islands, for example, at least for me, no idea, what I am doing wrong.

The 10x Kerbol system does that: scales everything up 10x. It's just been updated, too. You might also be interested in the 6.4x rescale.

Again, rescaling does not change textures at all: the bodies get bigger so there are fewer pixels per kilometer. I have no idea about water-colored islands. Make sure your terrain detail is at least on Default, though.

If you get RSS proper, of course, you'll get Earth and Moon textures; if you install SpacedInvader's extra textures you'll have textures for the other bodies too.

Hello Nathan.

I'm writing about those new bugs that two or three of us have experienced lately as i'm one of them.

- First one: Terrain Bug. ( screen 1 and screen 2 )

I'm not sure as to why... The previous version of RSS didnt do that to my game. At first, it seems like the lack of memory bug I experienced before. But after having moved my KSC around, the new "terrain bug" seems to be a bit different: Somehow a rectangle terrain texture is now above the KSC. My screenshots will be clearer than my english I think. I must add that this bug appeared when I installed the v6.1 of RSS. Unfortunately, changing the terrain texture details didn't change anything. And adding the command repositionToSphereSurfaceAddHeight = true to the config file did not change anything to the bug neither

- Second one: Speed problem at launch pad. ( screen 3 and screen 4 )

It seems that there is an inversion between the surface speed and the orbital speed. If I'm correct, the surface speed at launch should be 0 m/s or it is now around 460 m/s while the orbital speed shows 0. That bug appeared when I installed the latest version of RO.

Please find my output_log.txt here and my mod list here. I hope this post will help you narrow our problems. I also must add that I re-install all my game and mods after encountered those problem. Lastly, but I dont think there is a incidence with this, I use RSS but with the stock Kerbin textures.

Thanks in advance for your time, and please let me know if there is anything else you need from me.

Cheers,

Ben.

Edited by Benoît
few corrections

Where can I find a complete package that is ready to play for .23.5 without having to search for 20 mods before playing ?
You can't.

Look for the RSS mod bundler, won't give you just one download, but should make things less complicated

I recently play with RSS (great mod), and decided to replace the biomes, with something matching SpacedInvader's textures (also great xD).

Moon (8 biomes):

http://i.imgur.com/Q42wJzz.png

and Mars (18 biomes):

http://i.imgur.com/kYvqJfb.png

http://www.dropbox.com/s/e2qm7aaw9hrpu37/moon_and_mars_biomes.zip

It needs testing, especialy the mars one. From orbit it looks ok. Awaiting feedback :D.

I like it, especially the Mars one which I may use, either as is or as a starting point, instead of making a new one from scratch, with your permission of course. Here is a teaser of my Moon map:

JrTcvb2.png

I'm still in the process of identifying about 10 features to turn into unique biomes so it's not quite done yet.

Edited by SpacedInvader

so i recently tried this out (for a second time), and it's pretty slick, except it am crashing constantly (due to memory, i assume). i have since eliminated a number of memory-intensive mods (inc. PF) but the problem persists. does anyone know any specific incompatibilities with RSS 6.1 and any other mods? (perhaps a memory leak somewhere?)

so i recently tried this out (for a second time), and it's pretty slick, except it am crashing constantly (due to memory, i assume). i have since eliminated a number of memory-intensive mods (inc. PF) but the problem persists. does anyone know any specific incompatibilities with RSS 6.1 and any other mods? (perhaps a memory leak somewhere?)

Beginning with 6, RSS started converting planet textures as part of its default configuration and has started eating a little more memory as a result. Even more so if you're using my planet replacement pack, and probably even more again once Nathan finishes texture caching so we can control scaled space meshes without an hour of processing on load. That all being said, there aren't any mods that we've identified as being specifically incompatible, except maybe that you need the latest dev build of Mechjeb, so I don't think that's going to be an issue for you.

My best recommendation is to run with aggressive ATM and then also Faark's LOD mod, which, when combined, should give you plenty of memory overhead to have parts packs in addition to RSS and all of its supporting mods.

i've been running with basic ATM... i suppose i will try aggressive. i try to strike a balance between playability and aesthetics...

The newest versions of ATM don't really give the fuzzies that the older versions used to give. I run with aggressive and don't notice a difference at all.