[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

I'll write one up tomorrow. But I don't really have time to test it in the next few days, since I'm going to be busy trouncing NathanKell in the Kerbin Cup.

Basically it's just multiplying all lengths by 0.1, masses by 0.01, velocities by sqrt(0.1), and times by sqrt(0.1). Except atmosphere lengths, which are different.

Don't know how well that's going to work out with the heightmaps. Expect very rugged terrain on some planets.

So I have been trying the various noise levels to avoid having the cloud layers too high on duna. Nothing has worked so far until I realized the problem exist in scaled space. The planet is scaled 10x and so is the surface variance. What I need to so is get the surface variance back toward a normal level. Is this what the heightmap png is for? Even if you have a heightmap how do one control the maximum height in meters?

Just got bored with KSP contracts. Has anyone ever actually failed a contract? Anyway ... just played for an hour with RSS again. Damb near perfect imho. DRE, KW, FAR, RF ... everything just works as expected right out of the box. Linux_64 runs at just over 6gb without any issues. If there was ever a reason for mac/win people to make the switch, those 8192x4096 planets are it.

That looks a bit better. It's not 100% saturated everywhere.

I wanted to see if I could tweak it myself tho. I tried to play with the values in the config file but I found it incredibly difficult when I had to wait several minutes minutes between changing the values and seeing the result :/

Jetwave: use CerberusRCAF's RT2 Groundstations config. You can get it from the first or second post of the Realism Overhaul thread.

p-groves: I will release a fix shortly that should hopefully solve that.

maccollo: Better? :)

http://i.imgur.com/7b2YPdHl.jpg

Excellent, thank you.

This is the only bug I have found with 0.24.2 and all the mods from Scott Manley's interstellar quest. I will be very please when this is fixed, the graphics in real solar system are getting better each release.

Maybe it has to be a manned flight for altitude records? Also for the part test altitudes you'd probably have to do some math to figure out the correct altitude. Let's say the default atmosphere scale is 5km, and it wants you to test at 5km. If the new scale is 9km, I would assume testing at 9km would achieve it and testing at 5 would not. Of course I just pulled those numbers out of my ass, but you get the idea.

Since you start with only unmanned tech that would make the early contracts pretty much impossible if you have to use manned vehicles. I struggle with funding since i can complete barely any contracts. Also i tried again and i got the contract for launching a vessel and leaving the atmosphere, only the 5km contract wasn't fulfilled and then it disappeared.

Also, if you have to manually recalculate every altitude at which i have to test parts i consider this a bug of RSS (or other mods that interfere which i just haven't realized yet) and besides reporting that i also want to know if others have the same problem. As it is career is pretty much unplayable or at least not fun any more for me.

For some reason, my rocket explodes about 7000 meters above the ground, and it is always the same part that breaks on the same rocket. I'm using stretchytanks for the tank itself.

The parts above and below it are from the procedural fairings mod.

Edited by JT2227

Ohh. boy. I am using everything that works with 23.5... All mods are updated for that.

And by stretchytanks I meant Procedural Parts... I got confused! :P

Edited by JT2227

Do the new textures work for the 1/10th scale Solar System?? The textures seem to work fine for the normal sized but not for the 1/10th size, also the solar system in the enlarged version is scrambled. That is to say some of moons are in the wrong place yet all the textures are there but when it's the 1/10th scale everythings in palce but no textures. I've reinstalled God knows how many times but its the same thing everytime. Help??

The 1/10th cfg needs to be updated.

For the regular config:

Cause the problem. Quit KSP (if it hasn't crashed). Upload your output log (NOT ksp.log) to dropbox or something.

Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt OR KSP_win64\KSP_x64_DATA\output_log.txt (depending on which used)

Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log

Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

So just to make sure. I have a 0.24.2 install with just RSS, EVE Overhaul 9.2 and ATM. Earth has clouds (though only visible in game, not in main menu), other planets have none. Is that correct or did I mess something up?

Excellent, thank you.

This is the only bug I have found with 0.24.2 and all the mods from Scott Manley's interstellar quest. I will be very please when this is fixed, the graphics in real solar system are getting better each release.

TEMPORARY FIX HERE! YAY :)

Just overwrite GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/RealSolarSystem.dll with the download and it works!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/77523-0-24-Better-Atmospheres-V5-June-14th-2014?p=1313673&viewfull=1#post1313673

Nathan I tried your wrap = true suggestion and it works with EVE-7.3 just fine :) I had to do wrap = false for gilly and pol otherwise they become boring spheres. Now the clouds are at proper heights.

I did noticed for Astronomers and BA pack that Eeloo and Dres surface ended up being higher than what they should be. So to the users I like to ask do you want the me just change the height of the glow and say Eeloo and Dres has a new highest point or tweak the alititudes until it matches "stock".

That's because unless you change the deformities, Gilly and Pol *are* featureless at 10x scale. That's what wrapping the scaled space mesh to PQS shows you: what the terrain actually is.

Thing is, terrain deformity does not scale with radius. So a 2km cliff that looks enormous on a 50km-radius planet will look positively flat on a 5000km-radius planet. You have to actually go through all the bodies' PQSs and change the deformity values (and probably a few other things) whenever you change scale.

Regarding EVE 7.3 - interesting, was that causing cloud height to not match volume cloud height? (The unexpected scale difference, I mean). That would be an unexpected bonus of my workaround.

I'm looking forward to using this mod :D

However, I apologize for needing to ask this, but how do I replace the city lights texture file in EVE? I know it says to replace the main.png file which I downloaded, but the file types are different (EVE 7-3 is not a .png file). What do I need to do? Thanks

Peregrinus: download EVE Overhaul by going to the repo, selecting the overhaul branch (instead of master) and click down below on the x86 or x64 release as appropriate. Then click "raw" to download.

If you want to use it in 7-3, you'll need to first offset it 2048 pixels right, then flip it horizontally. Then save it. Then delete your original file (main.tga I guess?). Note that KSP doesn't care about file extensions like that, so replacing a tga with a png is fine.

Minor curiosity, is the 8 megapixels by 4 megapixels the maximum texture resolution either KSP or RSS can handle? As I was to lazy to get my PF files I used RSS textures but the output log claimed the width and height was to big. I wouldn't mind if it is, I just want to make sure scaling it up didn't break the texture :)