[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Neptune, Triton and Titania all look correct. BTW, I've found Pluto, it's inside Jupiter.

The easiest way to convert to DDS is probably http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98672-WIN-KSP-to-DDS-texture-converter , but I have no idea if it doesn't cause issues for planet textures. Best to ask NathanKell what he used to convert the textures.

It's as smartdummies says. :)

capran: it sounds like the issue is the same: open RealSolarSystemSmall.cfg and replace all SSColor32 with SSColor

Thanks! That works!

A few more glitches I've encountered though, after doing this, though.

1) I found I couldn't actually land on Bop or Gilly (Phobos and Deimos), they had no solid surface and my ship would just sink through. If I EVA, the guy just **POOFS** on touchdown.

2) When I returned to Earth/Kerbin, the KSC view flashed black rapidly (like you're fluttering your eyes).

3) I encountered the kraken with the time warp again this game. 1M X just ain't working right. KABOOM! Even if I F5 just before I timewarp, and then F9 right after the kraken attacks, the ship will spontaneously explode right then. Have to quit and reload KSP.

4) This may not be RSS's problem, but some other mod I have. During launch at around 7KM or so when I'm going around Mach 1, the framerate drops to next to nothing. I had dial down the atmospheric effects for it to be playable. I'm guessing it's a physics thing, could it be AtmosphericSoundEnhancement?

yes, I would put all the pngs in a folder and run DDS4KSP on them. That will be the easiest way to convert to DDS. Then you should follow my model of what to have loaded by KSP and what to have loaded by RSS (i.e. inside a PluginData folder).

Dragon01: note these are braininator's new textures, not original RSS textures. :)

capran: no idea about Bop and Gilly...or indeed the rest of it, sounds like maybe something misconfigured in the 1/10th config?

I've noticed that the surface textures on Earth and The Moon are in much higher detail at close range in version 8.3 than they were before. When you're landed on the surface, it is almost as detailed as Kerbin and Mun's original textures. All other planetary objects are still the old stretched and blurry textures that were in previous versions. Is there a reason for this? What settings determine the close-up resolution of surface textures?

Also, in the config, why is it that there's a bodyName field (That works when used!) That is not being used?

Also, what about the Axial Tilt? How does that work? I thought Axial Tilt was not possible. In previous versions, unless I'm mistaken, the AxialTilt field was given // to cancel it out.

bodyName is not being changed because (1) Squad hardcoded body names a fair bit (e.g. you literally cannot recover a vessel unless you are landed/splashed on "Kerbin") and (2) it will break all science unless all science text is rewritten.

Also it breaks any other mods that operate by name, such as EVE.

Axial tilt is not possible in KSP. I asked Mike before .22 or .23 about it, he said he'd bring it up. I haven't pushed much (although hearing from more of the community that it's a desired feature wouldn't hurt) because I think we can all agree they're been pretty busy, and there are other bugfixes *way* more important to spend our "poke" resources on.

The field in the cfg is meaningless since the code in RSS to do anything with it is disabled (because it doesn't work right, and really pretty much can't).

Klankheed Marcus: Yep. You can get everything back through .23.5 on the repo's releases page. Let me know if you need something earlier, versions go back to .22.

Fizwalker: Awesome! Adding launch sites is very easy! Just copy and paste a site in LaunchSites.cfg, change its id and name, give it new latitude and longitude and elevation, and test it. If the numbers are off, tweak. Here's some docs on the parameters.

As to the issue...pics? log/craft/modlist?

Will do once I can get to a lab... Incidently, adding struts seems to have solved the problem, Just to be sure tho I will try to recreate it again-- I haven`t played my RSS game for a bit! Which reminds me, there's a mod (box sat) that I'm going to work on some cfg's for. (RSS is 10x stock, right?)

Edit: Am I right in assuming that any launch facility I add must have the runway as well?

Edited by Fizwalker
further questions

Eliminate the check from the source code, recompile, and don't expect any support from the mod authors.

1. How?

2. Ok

3. Sure.

I would also like to point out I'm using this with 10X kerbin, has the 10X kerbin version of RSS been specifically compiled and thus I can't use the RSS source code?

Edited by RuBisCO

Fizwalker: for working on cfgs, you should check the Realism Overhaul OP, it has great guidelines. And while Earth is roughly 10x as big as Kerbin, changing parts doesn't mean 10x as big, it means "however big is real." For example, some engines get scaled up, some down, pods get scaled at different factors depending on what their real life analogue is, etc.

And yes, when you add a new launch site that just means you can move the entirety of KSC there.

Augustus: remove any lighting-related params from RealSolarSystemSettings.cfg

ITAsimo456: I find it not flat.

chris84567: Gonna need a good bit more detail than that, that's like going to a doctor and saying "I hurt." ;)

lordmuffin: Well, RSS would not be worth much if it could not edit bodies. :D

RubisCO: There is a tutorial on the forums for doing so, IIRC by mcirish? And the 10x Kerbin version uses the same dll, just different configs.

Delete the file. If it still happens, I'll see what's going on in the code.

Removing Serious fixed the worst of it, but there are still a lot of lighting bugs. All planets modified with RSS except Ablate are getting light from some invisible phantom source 90 degrees away from Kerbol.

Also, weird bright spazzy things still happen to those planets.

RubisCO: There is a tutorial on the forums for doing so, IIRC by mcirish? And the 10x Kerbin version uses the same dll, just different configs.

This? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98707-0-25-Win64-Enabled-NEAR-1-3-10-FAR-0-14-4-Real-Fuels-8-1-MFT-5-2-3

Does not cover RSS. I understand that this is not your problem, but Win32 bit version is useless to me because it can't handle the number of mods I want to use (What use is 16 GB of ram unless you fill it all?), the Linux verrsion works but graphically is horrible because AMD hates linux for some reason, The win64 version works for me, it works great, all I ask is you throw me a bone, I won't complain about any problem that I experience on 64 bit, promise.

Would it be possible to cut down / reconfigure RSS to replace only Earth and the Moon? To create a "RealLookingTerraAndLuna" mod?

What I am looking for is basically the textures for Earth, with launch centers for earth, and possibly the landing Mun easter egg / Armstrong memorial, but keeping everything else as it already is, including MechJeb support...

I bring two questions about this most excellent mod today. :D

1) This is the lunar north pole in my current save. Spectacular (The flag in the middle is too small to be seen) and undoubtedly made from a (long* hardened) ferrofluid in an immensely strong magnetic field. :)

screenshot5_zpsf88d2bf5.png

Cool, but perhaps not quite realistic and unfortunately nigh impossible to land on. It would seem that the poles are off limits in future missions. Is is possible to depress the procedural function with lattitude, or perhaps remove the higher modes as some function of lattitude?

2) In my nationalistic fervor, I wanted to add Andøya Rocket Range as a launch site for that genuine NorthStar nanosat launch service feeling. So I jacked some code from one of the other sites and came up with this:

Site
{
name = no_andoya
displayName = NO - Andoya
PQSCity
{
KEYname = KSC
latitude = 69.294966
longitude = 16.025105
repositionRadiusOffset = 53
repositionToSphereSurface = false
lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
}
PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
{
radius = 4000
heightMapDeformity = 80
absoluteOffset = 0
absolute = true
latitude = 69.294966
longitude = 16.025105
}
}

which sort of worked except part of the runway was clipped away and the space center is facing away from the sea. Not unexpected, given that I only changed name, displayName, latitude and longditude, but those where the only ones that made sense to me. What does the others do?

*but obviously not old enough to have lost its jagged edges to micrometeorites. Was certainly more than hard enough when I hit it, though. :(