[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Is the Remotetech config for RSS still knocking around somewhere? I can't seem to find it. The RT2 thread links to a deprecated Realism Overhaul thread, which doesn't seem to contain the config.

CKAN installs it with RemoteTech / RSS, try that.

CKAN installs it with RemoteTech / RSS, try that.

Not for me it didn't. That was with installing RP-0, which should install RSS/RO and all it's dependencies. I think the issue is that ckan is unable/unwilling to replace files, and also as I believe you have to start the game once before the settings file is generated.

thyriel: since KSP does not support axial tilt, it had to be faked by inclining *everything* such that Earth has the correct tilt vs. the equator. That means that the ecliptic has an inclination of ~23 degrees vs. the game's reference coordinate system. For that reason, it takes a fair amount of math to calculate what ingame inclination an object should have (talk to eggrobin, he did it all :) ).

Also, the typo is on purpose, there was a typo in the filename too.

Thanks, i realized that then after a while ^^ It's still fascinating me how accurate that solution is after i compared it with Universe Sandbox rendering the whole solar system. On a first glance i thought some values where far off from reality, took me a while to realize how much work there was in that little config file calculating the inclined orbits for KSP. Especially MeanAnomaly, LAN and AoP gave me some headache :D

What i still don't understand, how does KSP determine the SOI range from the given values ? It seems at least it has nothing to do with the set Science Ranges (flying, space)

Edited by thyriel

Think i got the 1/10th Kerbal-sized config file ready now, so here it is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5bv9eSDlNs5Nk9VRzAxMU93U0E/view?usp=sharing

Installation:

• Install RSS
  • overwrite the files in "GameData\RealSolarSystem" with the files from the download
  • Cache files are provided with the archive, no need to delete them !
  • set Kerbin time in KSP settings

• Optional: If you want faster warp times (like normal RSS), keep the original "RealSolarSystemSettings.cfg"

Notes:

• all bodies size reduced to 1/10th
  • Atmospheres have not been reduced, they are real life sized (watch out on Jupiter ^^). This makes ascents a bit longer, descents easier then in stock KSP. But it's more on realism. (I just didn't wanted to do the huge work of recalculating all the pressure / heat curves). Delta-v usage isn't that much more compared to stock game so no need for any engine changes. (It's only about two times atmosphere height compared to stock game)
  • Earth rotates at kerbin scale, so a year has ~426 days, a day is ~6 hours.
  • Orbits are reduced to 10% scale by range. If i would have scaled them by time factor (how long is a day) transfer delta-v's would increase a lot and it wouldn't be playable with stock engines. But that means that earth won't be on the same position every year.
  • removed hardcoded Mass / gravParameter, instead it uses now surface ASL values from wikipedia
  • TerrainHeight: Reduced to 25% mostly.
  • Phobos & Deimos: Because of issues with even more reduced size, those tiny moons of mars are real world sized with reduced orbit around mars.
  • ​rotation Periods have been scaled down by time scale earth vs. kerbin time (therefore tidally locked moons have a longer period in days as kerbin has a longer year)
  • Stock Warp times

Tested with these mods installed via CKAN:

Custom Biomes (+RSS data), Deadly reentry, RealChute, TAC Life Support (Stock config), NEAR (i don't use FAR, could be deadly reentry needs some tweaks when used with FAR), Kerbal Alarm Clock (stock settings should be fine as warp times are stock now too)

23-Dez-2014 - Changelog V1.1

- Terrains are now 25% of original size instead 100%. (delete cache again !)

- Phobos and Deimos size increased to 100%, orbit is still at 10%. Making them even smaller just had a lot graphical issues somehow.

Edited by thyriel
V1.1

Think i got the 1/10th Kerbal-sized config file ready now, so here it is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5bv9eSDlNs5V3NrVWd3eXlZc1k

Usage:

• overwrite the RealSolarSystem.cfg in GameData\RealSolarSystem
  • delete RealSolarSystemSmall.cfg if still there
  • open RealSolarSystemSettings.cfg, scroll to bottom and delete these lines:

timeWarpRates    {
rate1 = 10
rate2 = 100
rate3 = 1000
rate4 = 10000
rate5 = 100000
rate6 = 1000000
rate7 = 6000000
}

• set Kerbin time in KSP settings

Notes:

• all bodies size reduced to 1/10th
  • Atmospheres have not been reduced, they are real life sized (watch out on Jupiter ^^). This makes ascents a bit longer, descents easier then in stock KSP. But it's more on realism. (I just didn't wanted to do the huge work of recalculating all the pressure / heat curves). Delta-v usage isn't that much more compared to stock game so no need for any engine changes. (It's only about two times atmosphere height compared to stock game)
  • Earth rotates at kerbin scale, so a year has ~426 days, a day is ~6 hours.
  • Orbits are reduced to 10% scale by range. If i would have scaled them by time factor (how long is a day) transfer delta-v's would increase a lot and it wouldn't be playable with stock engines. But that means that earth won't be on the same position every year.
  • removed hardcoded Mass / gravParameter, instead it uses now surface ASL values from wikipedia
  • TerrainHeight: After playing around with it a while i decided to make height (mountains, ...) real world sized. It's just no challenge to land in terrains that are at most some hundred meters high, and i somehow like the look of visible mountains from space. (@NathanKell: I think Io's height file has some issues. It was the only body i had to reduce height to 10%. It looked like being spiked at first, but according to wikipedia Io should be pretty flat with only some mountains. And it looked to me that most current heightMapDeformity values are just bulk values, so i updated them with something more accurate values from wikipedia, highest - lowest height difference in meters)
  • ​rotation Periods have been scaled down by time scale earth vs. kerbin time (therefore tidally locked moons have a longer period in days as kerbin has a longer year)

Tested with these mods installed via CKAN:

Custom Biomes (+RSS data), Deadly reentry, RealChute, TAC Life Support (Stock config), NEAR (i don't use FAR, could be deadly reentry needs some tweaks when used with FAR), Kerbal Alarm Clock (stock settings should be fine as warp times are stock now too)

Earth - Himalaya visible from space (upper left corner)

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/541886693849529403/4856388DFB9D9E4CF16335818B966E9C4D4569C9/

Moon - yup, moon's not flat :D

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/541886693849554299/738788763376B188CE9991DDB6FDC9F41F2A7D9D/

Mars - Mt. Olympus from space

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/541886693849585999/94933607CFF3B2C285E26673BD6896541BA3901F/

If you don't like the real sized terrain heights, lower the heightMapDeformity values by factor 10 in the cfg file.

You must use the renaming feature to rename the planets to "Smearth", "Smoon", etc. http://jundroo.com/project/simplerockets/

Also regarding 0.9, all I'd really like is the new, super sturdy struts for my space shuttle-ET mount. I looked through the part config for the new ones in 0.9:

// --- general parameters ---

name = strutConnector

module = StrutConnector

author = HarvesteR

Would it work and be possible to locate this single module and insert it, with the new part files, into 0.25? i.e. does anyone know where this module would be located?

Also thought I might just post this here, my mock-up RVE release video, and some lines for the almighty Sagan for inspiration :cool:

Edited by pingopete

Would it work and be possible to locate this single module and insert it, with the new part files, into 0.25? i.e. does anyone know where this module would be located?

Nope, because the change to coding that allows the change would not be in 0.25.

I've identified a bug with RSS when used with the Kerbol system (to get rid of the white sky via Proot's KSPRC). It apparently alters the orbital periods of some of the bodies. I've only identified problems with Mun, Minmus and Ike as they are relevant to my current missions. Here is what I get from kOS when RSS is installed:

eSgKNaf.png

here is what kOS says when RSS is removed:

kOS25-Mun_Minmus_Ike.png

The values in the second image match what both KSPTOT and the wiki say. More definitively, here's a before/after composite image aligned with the comm link to Duna:

9WpyJDE.png

I was originally using the DLL from Proot's pack, but made sure to update with the latest version from this thread, under which this issue remained. Tested with only RSS, Squad, NasaMission, AEIS and kOS folders in GameData with MM.

This issue was likely introduced in the 0.25 version, as I do recall attempting to load an older 0.24.2 mission where I was landing on Mun and the position of the lander coming down over the surface did not seem the same. I didn't think much of it at the time, thought maybe I was just not remembering correctly.

Edited by Gaiiden

RSS has *always* autocalculated orbital periods. It uses the correct formula, rather than KSP's ignoring the lesser mass, so it will be slightly different from stock KSP periods. If it's a big issue I can set it to not do that if a flag is set.

Yeah, I've been a bit slow about updating things, sorry folks. Will try to hurry up. :]

Yeah, I've been a bit slow about updating things, sorry folks. Will try to hurry up. :]

Yeah, would you please hurry up your providing us with with amazing content for nothing at all? A couple of days waiting is really not acceptable, mister!

I realized my idiocy right as I was clicking 'post'... but then it was too late.

As you can (not) see (my previous post), it's possible to delete posts.

RSS has *always* autocalculated orbital periods. It uses the correct formula, rather than KSP's ignoring the lesser mass, so it will be slightly different from stock KSP periods. If it's a big issue I can set it to not do that if a flag is set.

It's only a big issue when you're using KSPTOT to plan missions, as the different orbital periods will wreak havoc on your meticulously detailed flight plan when crossing SOIs :) So yes, a flag to use the stock KSP orbital periods would be greatly appreciated. Also in a 0.25 build (if that's not preferable, if you point out the changes specific to this I could prob fork and build my own 0.25 version). But for now I will just shield my eyes against the harsh glare of the horizon during the day :P

Seriously no rush. I hate people whining about new releases.