[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

I don't care about Neptune or Uranus that much, but I do want something to be Saturn (and something else Titan) so people can do Cassini-Huygens missions.

Reddragon, that's strange; last we tested Duna was ok.

Also, since radius is a physical characteristic I did rescale it for all bodies. When I said no new graphics, I meant I hadn't changed color or terrain (other than for Earth/Moon); I certainly did change radius. :)

I couldn't care less about Saturn unless you're maybe planning to put a giant living space habitat in orbit there...?

Perhaps one that reaches out and grabs my Kerbal's ship (DSV Ringmaster) and sucks them inside it where they are forced to live off the land to survive and maybe go on a quest to meet the brain that lives at the hub...?

fotf1.gif

Edited by Starwaster

One thing I've noticed is that now scaled-space texture doesn't match the actual terrain, so you might want to consider making your own 8K texture for universe replacer so it would match updated terrain.

Testing Duna.

asmi: Oh crap I didn't post the link for that! Sorry.

I actually did make one, you know, it was used in the video. I just haven't gotten texture _replacing_ working yet so yargnit used Universe Replacer.

Here it is: replace your existing Universe Replacer Kerbin1.png: https://www.dropbox.com/s/py1ojbk4g8o9p0k/Kerbin1.zip [unzip too, obvs.]

WARNING: 8192. Scale down as desired.

We also exported one for the moon, but I didn't think it needed it as badly. YMMV.

I still have to convert the heightmaps KSP exports for bodies into normal maps.

Testing Duna.

asmi: Oh crap I didn't post the link for that! Sorry.

I actually did make one, you know, it was used in the video. I just haven't gotten texture _replacing_ working yet so yargnit used Universe Replacer.

Here it is: replace your existing Universe Replacer Kerbin1.png: https://www.dropbox.com/s/py1ojbk4g8o9p0k/Kerbin1.zip [unzip too, obvs.]

WARNING: 8192. Scale down as desired.

We also exported one for the moon, but I didn't think it needed it as badly. YMMV.

I still have to convert the heightmaps KSP exports for bodies into normal maps.

Thank you! Installed and gonna give it a go.

I don't care about Neptune or Uranus that much, but I do want something to be Saturn (and something else Titan) so people can do Cassini-Hyegens

Thank you! Would you consider adding Enceladus orbiting Saturn too? It is such a beautiful little moon.

enceladus_1024x768.jpg

How do i install this mod, I can't get it working. Seems like its different than other mods. I just put the plugin folder in plugin folder but nothign changes and there is no installation guide. Can anyone help?

Edited by hootis

I can't get the Duna PQS to be activated. I assume it's the same problem with Laythe and the others. Working on it.

It worked the last time I checked; clearly I unintentionally broke something in the last couple days. Apologies.

Scaledspace is fine though, so as long as you're, what, in a 200km+ orbit, all the bodies should be fine.

Starwaster: I haven't posted my configs for rbray's cloud mod yet, but rest assured the clouds are colored correctly and as thick as they should be. Haven't touch the atmo glow yet though.

I can't get the Duna PQS to be activated. I assume it's the same problem with Laythe and the others. Working on it.

It worked the last time I checked; clearly I unintentionally broke something in the last couple days. Apologies.

Scaledspace is fine though, so as long as you're, what, in a 200km+ orbit, all the bodies should be fine.

Starwaster: I haven't posted my configs for rbray's cloud mod yet, but rest assured the clouds are colored correctly and as thick as they should be. Haven't touch the atmo glow yet though.

but what about the atmo layer itself? the one that they color red on duna and purple on eve.

Fixed. Updated.

Changelog

v5.1 \/

*Fixed bug where scaledspace meshes were being faded too early (now missing planets appear)

*Fixed Duna's atmosphere end height in the info box.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0o1nk8ov4bikcj/RealSolarSystem_v5_1.zip

EDIT: Now that v5 has Kerbin's terrain updated, I AGAIN NEED MOAR SCREENSHOTS. Please post. :)

Edited by NathanKell

I hate watching Mars movies and they make the atmosphere red.

Although a lot can be said about colour reproduction, I think the pictures NASA provide show pretty much the same. Mars is red, and its atmosphere often too. Or, well, pinkish orangy, depending on the time and light.

Although a lot can be said about colour reproduction, I think the pictures NASA provide show pretty much the same. Mars is red, and its atmosphere often too. Or, well, pinkish orangy, depending on the time and light.

just like on earth it depends on circumstances scattering shifts the skiy's coloring blue under the same circumstances it would on Earth

just like on earth it depends on circumstances scattering shifts the skiy's coloring blue under the same circumstances it would on Earth

It does seem to be blueish indeed, at least high enough where the incoming scattering overpowers the ground's reflection:

space-wallpapers-olympus-mons-on-mars-the-largest-volcano.jpg

(source)

I wouldn't want real names either.

On Mars' atmosphere: It depends on the scattering of light, even though it would generally be perceived as red. If you watch any of the sunset videos from the rovers, you can see the sky turning blue. Almost the reverse of what happens on Earth.

I am having a bug where the launch clamps place themselves at different heights which causes a tilt of the vessel as pictured below. At first I thought this was caused by KJR but Ferram told me this mod is the cause of it.

15mbw9l.jpg

I have a lot of problems with launch clamps too. Mine just usually break loose from the launch pad and rip my rockets to shreds. I see that whenever I time warp(non-physics) and exit again, the launch clamps move position again too. Pretty sure it has something to do with floating point errors and such(maybe?) due to the large scale of Kerbin.

Duna does have a blue-ish glow(taken in 5.0).

tPMKhGG.png

Launch clamps are a lot better with Kerbal joint reinforcer mod. They still attempt to rip your ship apart, but I found them significantly better. For example 8 clamps at the bottom can hold my 3770 ton monster, it sometimes explodes, but just keep relaunching. You shouldn't use a lot of them, keep clamps at the minimum.