[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

srbgaming, I downloaded your planet expansion because I wanted to go to ceres in RSS... When it loaded up, holy crap those inclinations relative to kerbin/earch are rediculous, I pulled the settings from my old RSS/PF realsolar system and adjusted the values for Vesta/Ceres as follows to give them more realistic (~10degree inclination for ceres relative to earth/kerbin, and ~5degrees for vesta I think, based on wiki data anyways). Here is my updated http://ksp.anyx.org/RealSolarSystem.cfg in case it helps anyone else that wants to go to these planets in a realistic manner, as well as for the other linux users out there(the RealSolarSystem.cfg included with the planet expansions breaks earth textures back to kerbin for me as a previous user had stated it did for them due to bad characters).

• 2 weeks later...

I have created a custom .cfg for RSS that only modifies orbital inclination and longitude of ascending node. My goal was to maintain as close to the stock solar system possible, but to simulate some axial tilt. Here are the changes that are made:

-All bodies have inclination set to their normal inclination + 23 degrees.

-All bodies have LAN reduced by one order of magnitude (I moved the decimal place over once, to bring them all closer to zero); to maintain some diversity between the orbits while aligning the 23 degree inclination change being applied to the entire system.

-Mun and Minmus both have increased inclination: Mun gets + 6 degrees and Minmus gets + 12 and Mun has it's LAN lined up with Minmus.

Just wanted to add a little bit of difficulty to the navigation in the game, without the massive changes to the scale or layout of the solar system.

To use simply replace the contents of RealSolarSystem.cfg with:

REALSOLARSYSTEM
{
Moho
{
Orbit
{
inclination = 30
LAN = 7
}
}

Eve
{
Orbit
{
inclination = 25.100
LAN = 1.5
}
}

Gilly
{
Orbit
{
inclination = 35
LAN = 8
}
}

Kerbin
{
Orbit
{
inclination = 23
LAN = 0
}
}

Mun
{
Orbit
{
inclination = 29
LAN = 7.8
}
}

Minmus
{
Orbit
{
inclination = 41
LAN = 7.8
}
}

Duna
{
Orbit
{
inclination = 23.06
LAN = 13.55
}
}

Ike
{
Orbit
{
inclination = 23.2
LAN = 0
}
}

Dres
{
Orbit
{
inclination = 28
LAN = 28
}
}

Jool
{
Orbit
{
inclination = 24.304
LAN = 5.2
}
}

Laythe
{
Orbit
{
inclination = 23
LAN = 0
}
}

Vall
{
Orbit
{
inclination = 23
LAN = 0
}
}

Tylo
{
Orbit
{
inclination = 23.025
LAN = 0
}
}

Bop
{
Orbit
{
inclination = 30.5
LAN = 1
}
}

Pol
{
Orbit
{
inclination = 27.25
LAN = .2
}
}

Eeloo
{
Orbit
{
inclination = 29.15
LAN = 5
}
}
}

Edited by Errol

Hi,

today I noticed something weird: The KSC at DZ - Hammaguir seems to be below the ground. I've launched a temperature measuring mission from there and while ascending, suddenly I've crashed into a invisible wall. When reading the mission log, it said, that my rocket crashed into the ground.

Because in KSP 0.90 planet names are otherwise hard coded into various other parts of the games, switching them causes problems. I believe NathanKell has stated that this is NOT the case in the upcoming v1.0. So stay tuned.

Ok, thank you.

I stay tuned :) .

Incase anyone else is annoyed at the obvious pixels on the lunar surface, I did a quick config change to make the terrain a bit more dynamic and hide the seams.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

All you need to do is go to realsolarsystem.cfg, find the PQS for the moon and change the values to this:

PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeight // doubles
{
deformity = 300 // 400
persistence = 0.7 //0.5
frequency = 60 // 12
//octaves = 10 // 8 // A DOUBLE
}
PQSMod_VertexHeightNoiseVertHeight // floats
{
deformity = 150 // 400
frequency = 30 // 12
//octaves = 7 // 6 // INT
}

Hope this helps some people.

Guest Darth Gerbil

Does this automatically rescale the parts to the correct size? If not, then is there a plugin that does it automatically? (I don't want to have to rescale my command pod, engines e.t.c every time I make a vehicle.)

How do I rearrange the planets using RSS? I'd like to turn Ike into a planetoid and make Gilly and Bop into moons of Duna. I've had a look on the wiki but either my eyes are painted on or the information I need isn't there.

Hello, I've been fiddling with the three texture packs for RSS to find the best combination of looks vs memory usage. I use ATM and after I was done I deleted the cache folder so ATM would rebuild it according to the new textures.

But now it just doesn't create the caches and I have no idea why.

I've even tried reinstalling ATM, RSS and the textures themselves to no avail, can anybody help?

Best regards

Will there be an update soon? I'm getting the warning that the mod might not be compatible with 1.0, despite the fact that everything seems to be working fine (I'm using RSS as part of Better Atmospheres).

RVE is no longer available for download... Any other suggestions?

RVE is not available on the forum page, but if you google it you are indeed able to find the github page which hosts the files, they are still available to download.

It is a WIP, however, thus extremely buggy. Be prepared for lots of atmospheric glitches and possibly even crashes (personal experience).

Alternatively you could do as I did: download one of the EVE packs for non-RSS and make it RSS-compatible : you can do this by raising the cloud heights and replacing the various colour definitions with suitable ones.

That's necessary because, for instance, Eve has a purple atmosphere and RSS turns it into Venus, which is sand-colored. The cloud layers will be various shades of purple, as well as the haze layers.

Just find a nice image of Venus and use a colour picker to find a few shades of cloud colour, then notw their RGB values and replace the ones defined in the cloud.cfg with those ones. That way you'll end up with sand-coloured clouds like they should be

Do this for eve (venus) , jool (jupiter) , dres (saturn) and possibly even duna (mars).

With a bit of fiddling around you'll realise it's easier than it sounds from what I said.

Cheers!

Edited by Dolin