[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

In my installation, the space centre is in the middle of the ocean and there's no way to change launch sites in the tracking station. Might have something to do with the fact that I'm using linux, will check again on my windows installation.

In my installation, the space centre is in the middle of the ocean and there's no way to change launch sites in the tracking station. Might have something to do with the fact that I'm using linux, will check again on my windows installation.

Do you have KSCSwitcher and ModuleManager installed?

I think it didnt help for altitude dear Nathan, i have a save about a prob is on Titan's orbit and i tried with that prob to test altitude but nothing happened until 50km, and then huge air pressure :D

Notice : I checked both Titan's and Venus's altitute from "Tracking Station" and they still seen 50km. Maybe there are something people cant change, like atmosphere altitude etc (maybe its about game engine?)

So I was wondering, do you have any tips on a Mars descent? Whenever I enter the atmosphere, even from LMO, I always end up crashing into the ground.

Design something that will have some lift. Curiosity for instance flew a lifting reentry much as Apollo capsules did. That will give you more braking time at higher altitudes.

Use Real Chute and properly design a chute for that planet. Real Chute will let you select which planet the chute is for and it takes that into consideration when choosing how big the chute has to be.

The thinner air should let you get away with higher speed deployment than usual.

Depending on the mass of the craft you may also need to use rockets to successfully land. (again, just like Curiosity)

Finally made orbit. Completely forgot that I'm no good with low-thrust 2nd stages. Higher TWR finally got me there. Can't wait 'till we have clouds again. :) No real difficulties, no encountered glitches as of yet this time around (aside from that hangar extender zoom-out issue). Haven't quite figured out how to adjust chutes yet and RealChutes still remains uninstalled due to the existence-failure-at-6km problem.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else having issues with FAR, and drag on reentry with the Mk1 pod? At around Mach 2 (10km), the pod suddenly started picking up quite a bit of speed. I managed to grab a screenshot before it slammed into the ocean at over 700m/s when the chute ripped off in the airstream when I deployed it at 2km due to travelling faster than Mach 2 below 2km. I'm out of time tonight, but if desired I can re-run this orbit, re-enter, and provide a log file tomorrow. (If it's a known issue I'll keep quiet and whatnot.)

The pod continued to accelerate all the way to the ocean.

Edit: The latest commit message for FAR says "fix negative drag on backwards-facing vessels at sonic velocity" so I'm guessing that was the issue. I'll try out the latest FAR from github.

Edit 2: Yep, latest dev version of FAR fixes the reentry accelleration/drag issue!

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by jrandom

just wondering, how's the update coming along ^__^

are most of the bugs fixed?

RealChutes has been super twitchy for me (I had to remove it), but I've managed orbit and reentry now. Chutes are the primary problem -- w/out RealChutes, I'm not getting enough drag out of the stock ones so my Mk1 is still impacting the ocean at 80m/s.

Awesome work on this, the planets and moons look great and they all have their names now!!

I was working on starting to add new stuff, I started with 9P Tempel, a comet. Everything is working except my color map isn't loading. The comet should be several tones of gray but instead the whole thing is bright white. Has anyone had this problem with kopernicus before?

How did you get RSS to work in 1.02?? I have it but RSS wont work on it

does the screen stop at the end of the loading ? because i'm having that problem

I don't think this has already been reported, Venus' atmosphere ends at 50km for me. I looked into the kopernicus config, i don't really understand it, but it says " max altitude = 130000". anybody know what's causing this/how to fix it?

So this update does not require FAR?

Technically speaking RSS never required FAR it was just highly recommend due to issues with stock aerodynamics. RO is what had FAR as a requirement.

That said, I would still highly recommended FAR for this as the stock areo is less bad but still not as good as FAR. The current FAR build is stable and playable and I do not have issues with both this and FAR.

I'm experiencing a problem that I don't think is a bug, but is rather a product of the config file editing I did. Some help with fixing it would be appreciated. I halved the size of planets in this config because I didn't want to use RO. I find that decreasing the planet size actually increased orbital velocity up to 10 km/s at the same altitude above the Earth. This seems very strange and unintuitive to me and I'm pretty sure this isn't how it works IRL. Any help with an explanation and a solution would be great. Thanks in advance.