[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

I'm experiencing a problem that I don't think is a bug, but is rather a product of the config file editing I did. Some help with fixing it would be appreciated. I halved the size of planets in this config because I didn't want to use RO. I find that decreasing the planet size actually increased orbital velocity up to 10 km/s at the same altitude above the Earth. This seems very strange and unintuitive to me and I'm pretty sure this isn't how it works IRL. Any help with an explanation and a solution would be great. Thanks in advance.

Because the Planet's mass stays the same, but now that mass is compressed more(much denser). So the gravitational acceleration will remain the same at x distance from the center of the planet. Which means that 200km LEO above a planet with only half the radius is 4 times higher. Meaning you need a greater speed to attain and maintain orbit.

EDIT: Got beaten.

I'm experiencing a problem that I don't think is a bug, but is rather a product of the config file editing I did. Some help with fixing it would be appreciated. I halved the size of planets in this config because I didn't want to use RO. I find that decreasing the planet size actually increased orbital velocity up to 10 km/s at the same altitude above the Earth. This seems very strange and unintuitive to me and I'm pretty sure this isn't how it works IRL. Any help with an explanation and a solution would be great. Thanks in advance.

what the other guys said, basically if you are going to reduce planet sizes, you have to reduce the planets mass too. kerbin is ridiculously smaller than Earth, and a fair bit denser too.

Thanks for the help. I suspected it had something to do with the mass staying the same, but I wasn't sure how to fix it. I'll go and set all the correct geeasl parameters and let the game take care of mass.

This is something that bothers me too. Eventually I may want to update to realistic sizes, but right now the reason to use this mod is to have real solar system bodies, and not to change everything. The gameplay in KSP is fine with me. I have years worth of calculations for spaceships, and a lot of mods and I don't want to start over.

If I want to get into orbit wit RSS, I need to install RO. This in turn requires me to install a lot of other mods. I cannot use CKAN because I dotNEt 4.5 dies not install correctlx on my computer, so I don't know where to start.

I think a simple way to use the RSS mod with regular Kerbin scale and all other mods unchanged would make a lot of people happy. There was a link to such a downscale mod on page one but it does not work with the most recent version. Any help appreciated, I would even do it myself if I knew how to ..

EDIT: What mod is recommended to get clouds and athmospheres? Most athmosphere-less bodies in this mod look absoltely great, but having Venus/Earth/Titan with only the surface texture is too barren.

Edited by Dr. Walther

In order to rescale everything to the original game, I tried to hand-edit

RealSolarSystem\RSSKopernicus.cfg

would it be enough to change this file only?

Are these values enough to scale orbital velocities to 1/10, so that I can use the stock physics and parts?

radius = 173710

mass = 7.34767309E+21

What is

gravParameter = 3.986004418e+13

Is it the equivalent to mass when that is not used in the .cfg (on Earth?)

Of course I assume that I also need to reduce

rotationPeriod = 2360584.68479999

semiMajorAxis

semiMinorAxis

if I want the orbits and distances rescaled too ..

Any tips appreciated.

Nope .. this didn't work, my rocket immediately collapsed and exploded, destroying the whole launchpad in the process ;)

Edited by Dr. Walther

Is this a pre-release for KSP1.0.2 or KSP0.90?

1.0.x

This is something that bothers me too. Eventually I may want to update to realistic sizes, but right now the reason to use this mod is to have real solar system bodies, and not to change everything. The gameplay in KSP is fine with me. I have years worth of calculations for spaceships, and a lot of mods and I don't want to start over.

If I want to get into orbit wit RSS, I need to install RO. This in turn requires me to install a lot of other mods. I cannot use CKAN because I dotNEt 4.5 dies not install correctlx on my computer, so I don't know where to start.

I think a simple way to use the RSS mod with regular Kerbin scale and all other mods unchanged would make a lot of people happy. There was a link to such a downscale mod on page one but it does not work with the most recent version. Any help appreciated, I would even do it myself if I knew how to ..

just change engine and fuel tank mass(in the RO thread there's the correct ratios from the current weight), and you might want to install realfuels, i find it easier to build rockets with it. also, you can get older CKAN versions, too, from their github page.

EDIT: i think the fuel tanks and engines should be around 4 times lighter, but for the nuclear engine, which weighs around 9 tons in RO.

Final (?) pre-release version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6s2u20uo9ro2ri6/RSSv10PRE.zip?dl=0

Please let me know if you encounter further issues.

Known issues:

Phobos and (especially) Deimos have wonky terrain

Saturnian moons don't have heightmaps.

No problems with getting into the atmosphere of Venus at 140,000m. Contrary to what I have read (IIRC), it is there - and just killed jeb. :(.

No problems with getting into the atmosphere of Venus at 140,000m. Contrary to what I have read (IIRC), it is there - and just killed jeb. :(.

I stated it a few days ago, and apparently it was fixed in the recent update.

About pre release version it need to be done a little correction on RSSKopernicus.cfg file aka at point were it start attribute for Earth / Kerbin aka:

// Earth

Body

{

name = Kerbin

//nameLater = Earth

cbNameLater = Earth

last to line it need to look like this:

// nameLater = Earth

// cbNameLater = Earth

other way it will start a fight between kopernicus, Rss & rest script :) Same it say it Kerbin it can be rename with Earth well sure BUT same it will need to be replace other code line to coz other way dependency between planet it will screw up & agen Kopernicus & RSS it will start yelling generate error ;)

p.s. i was try to make work EVE (last version from Overhaul... last update was ~11 hour) noo success usual i end having weird texture or Eve complain he not recognize texture, IF they are DDS one, it seams EVE it really not like dds, but i guess this problem it will fix & all it will be fine

& main problem between new EVE & RSS it came from terrain texture what are mest up, ending have a white planet or a very very very bad texture

anyway nice cya around & thx for work what it was set

BUG REPORT: (don't know if this is RSS or RO, I'm running both) Infernal robotics is all kinds of wonky, I've got 4 telescopic pistons attached to each other, and when i push them out, they drift apart and turn weirdly. can't show it right now as for some reason i can't take a screenshot, but I'm going to get one later.

EDIT: log

Edited by blub01

just change engine and fuel tank mass(in the RO thread there's the correct ratios from the current weight), and you might want to install realfuels, i find it easier to build rockets with it. also, you can get older CKAN versions, too, from their github page.

EDIT: i think the fuel tanks and engines should be around 4 times lighter, but for the nuclear engine, which weighs around 9 tons in RO.

Thanks for the tip. Although I'd still need to know the exact ratios, ot the whole thing will not work.

The problem is, I get RSS to work fine. But what are my options to build anything with it that can get into orbit?

For once I simply can't install RO. I tried several versions of CKAN but it cannot make a connection, even if I get dotNET 4 to work. Theen I tried to look at manual installation, but there are dependencies that lead to other dependencies, and many dependencies are already outdated version numbers. I already know that if this is ever going to work, it will be only after I spent days and weeks.

So what I'd like is a simple pack of engines that uses the same scale factor as RSS, and that does not take more than a day to install.

Thanks for the tip. Although I'd still need to know the exact ratios, ot the whole thing will not work.

The problem is, I get RSS to work fine. But what are my options to build anything with it that can get into orbit?

For once I simply can't install RO. I tried several versions of CKAN but it cannot make a connection, even if I get dotNET 4 to work. Theen I tried to look at manual installation, but there are dependencies that lead to other dependencies, and many dependencies are already outdated version numbers. I already know that if this is ever going to work, it will be only after I spent days and weeks.

So what I'd like is a simple pack of engines that uses the same scale factor as RSS, and that does not take more than a day to install.

RSS isn't on CKAN anyway as far as i know. just install it manually, there's a link to the probably last dev version one or two pages back.

RSS isn't on CKAN anyway as far as i know. just install it manually, there's a link to the probably last dev version one or two pages back.

RSS and RO are on CKAN. However, as they are not updated for version 1.0x (only pre-releases exist), CKAN can only install them for KSP0.90. (Where they do work great.)

Just to clarify. The latest pre release RSS works fine for me. But I cannot get anything into space without RO.

And for some reason CKAN doesn't work at all, mod list is empty and "Refresh" just gives a connection error.

I understand that this is not a problem of RSS, but without lifting capability I cannot play the mod. My best rockets with stock reach 10-20,000 m/s, but that's hardly orbital missions ...

I probably have to try again in some months.