[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_v_budget :)

Note that the amount to transfer to the moon may be slightly off, given we have to work around lack of axial tilts, and that orbital decay isn't modeled.

By which I mean: you can use real values for everything now. Want to know how much dV it takes to get to Mar^H^HDuna? Look it up on a real deltaV map. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_v_budget :)

Note that the amount to transfer to the moon may be slightly off, given we have to work around lack of axial tilts, and that orbital decay isn't modeled.

By which I mean: you can use real values for everything now. Want to know how much dV it takes to get to Mar^H^HDuna? Look it up on a real deltaV map. :)

Nathan, you are so awesome. this is the greatest thing to happen to this game since this game.. please keep improving this project. I have 3 questions.

1. The kerbals and landing gear now stand slightly above the ground instead of on it.. Is it possible to fix this?

2. The Textures for the planet from any low or medium orbit are so blury with this mod. There are 8K texture packs out but kearth still looks blury from low orbit. The problem is the engine won't accept any textures above 8K. Over at the Universe Replacer texture mod thread they said it might be possible to divide the planet into 4 pieces and use 4 separate textures to get around the 8K limit. Do you have any idea how this could be done?

3. kearth is pretty flat. Would procedural mountains and valleys be possible? like the procedural craters on the moon.

Zander, thanks so much!

1. Increase the maxDetail for Kerbin in your settings.cfg file, under the preset you use. Basically, ground height is determined apart from the actual mesh faces, so with fewer subdivisions the planet (thinking in 2D) resembles a polygon rather than a circle, and thus the mesh faces don't quite conform to where the ground should be.

2. Yeah, with a new scaledspace model we could use however many textures we wanted, although we'd have to page them at a certain point.

3. Have you tried the newest? It has improved terrain. And you can fiddle with the values in the config file too if you want to tweak it further--come up with something nice and I'll use it!

Decided to actually test a rocket (after rescaling the pod and the heatshield and matching Apollo-Saturn IB masses nearly exactly). The pod is an Apolloid; workalike, though not lookalike. Same with the SM; I used panels rather than fuel cells since I'm waiting for MrTheBull's CSM. The J-2alike is spot on; the main engines are the old Novapunch F-1 lookalikes, but they're only 1/4 the thrust of an F-1 so I used four.

Note the solar panel rebalancing thanks to Medieval Nerd, and the increased battery capacity, to the Apollo CM's 3.4kWhr.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Redone as Saturn IC (With an F-1 engine).

This is so you only need KW in addition to my mods; I removed the NovaPunch dependency. If you have NovaPunch, you can add back on the launch escape tower (NP Punchout LES Large); KATOEngines will have already configured it for you.

Note that this does require MFS v3.1 RFRM with KATO Engines (just reuploaded--redownload it, folks), SSRBv5, and DRECv3. Oh, and Procedural Fairings, obviously. In addition to this little file right here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8dhdkeygnkf1dp2/NKReal.zip

It has the MM patches to change solar panels, batteries, and the Mk1 and Mk1-2 pods, and a 3.9m heatshield and 3.9m heatshield decoupler. As I said above, much of the solar panel rebalance is thanks to Medieval Nerd!

Finally, the craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmvj7g545dgqzhy/Apolloid%20S-IC_KW.craft

969ZRs9l.jpg

AdsOeRVl.jpg

Edited by NathanKell

Jebediah was able to deduce that the first stage was derived from an ICBM "Freedom"

DigKTBh.png

:D

No, really being able to add textures by cfg is awesome.

Also the resized apollo cm looks much better and gives the feeling that there's actually space for a couple of kerbals to live in.

That's impossibly efficient.

One of the versions posted only required 7k dv for an orbit due to the massive rotational speed of the planet (1500+ m/s).. Obviously that was a bug ;)

After I installed that version (3 I think) all of my rockets in carreer mode suddenly had over 2k dv left after making orbit :).

Check out the Realism Overhaul thread in Addon Development. Neither the normal Soviet Pack nor the normal American Pack are supported. You can find a realistic Soyuz and Progress in there, other models are coming soon.

For the past few days I have been trying to make a vessel that is capable of positioning my small hexasat in a 400km LEO orbit. The payload is pretty small weighing just about 0.2 tons. The whole vehicle is 4 stage and it has a delta-v of around 10.2 km/s. No matter what launch profile i tried, it never reached stable orbit. Any ideas? 20fuv85.jpg

wrong heading maybe?

Anyway, I have some questions myself, ATM I'm writing on a stone old computer, as I cant access my gaming laptop... anyway, question is: can MechJeb make a TLI from a 54 degree orbit (lowest orbit possible from Baikonour, I think), what would be the delta-v for such an orbit? And do you have an idea where I could find info on a real-life ascent trajectory of soviet launchers? Oh, and does KSC2 work?

edit:with lowest, I mean lowest inclination

Well, for me, you have to have ST, and PF. So if you don't have them, get them. Everything is easier. What I normally do is start my gravity turn at 200m, and turn 55 degrees. Gradually keep turning, very smoothly, until you are at 200km. By then, you should be about 5/6 degrees off the artificial horizon. Wait until your apoapsis is above 104km (The new atmospheric barrier) and when its above that, or your target orbit, do your circularisation burn.

@Dimovski Hahaha, the heading is alright :D.

@Captain_Party What do you mean by "ST and PF"?

StretchyTanks and Procedural Fairings. Your turn end is way too high, you should change it to end at 80-100km. By 50-60km up you should have a 100+ apoapsis and be almost horizontal

For the past few days I have been trying to make a vessel that is capable of positioning my small hexasat in a 400km LEO orbit. The payload is pretty small weighing just about 0.2 tons. The whole vehicle is 4 stage and it has a delta-v of around 10.2 km/s. No matter what launch profile i tried, it never reached stable orbit. Any ideas?

You start your gravity turn waaay too late. Make it 0.5 km, 1km max. Judging by your TWR, by the time you start gravity turn you already going so fast that you'll have really hard time actually turning the vessel.

You start your gravity turn waaay too late. Make it 0.5 km, 1km max.

Didn't even notice that, to add to this looking at that TWR he should start at 0.2 and make it rather steep.

Don't you think that Neptune is more important that Pluto? Yeah, Neptune's not there. You skipped it.

What's the point of adding a gas giant without it being gas and more importantly, lacking moons. This mod really needs more planets if it's gonna be a real solar system and not just a rescale.

That would be sweet but look how intensive this mod is right now. You need a ton of other mods to make it work (FAR, MF, PF for example) and it already uses 2GB RAM for me on startup, I don't think you'll be able to reliably make a real solar system AND rockets to take you there without 64bit.

Didn't even notice that, to add to this looking at that TWR he should start at 0.2 and make it rather steep.

Actually that's the reason MJ's ascent AP is fundamentally wrong - ascent profile is cued by velocity, not altitude. I fly everything manually, and usually go like this - until 60 m/s I fly strainght up (rolling to the launch azimuth as required), then turn to about 2-3 °, wait until I get to about 160 m/s, then turn for another 5° to so. Next turn is at around 0.8M to another 7-8 degrees (to a total of 20° from vertical) and wait until I pass transonic region (velocity over 1.2M) . After than I follow the lower border of velocity indicator until I'm about 45° pitch and travelling about 4-5M. At that point I'm usually high enough to get rid of payload faring. After fairing jettison I switch to orbital indicator and slowly turn to the center of it and start watching my apoapsis, slowly turning toward horizon as Ap approaches that of a target orbit. My upper stage is usually underpowered (the most pathetic example being Atlas V, it's Centaur upper stage is severly underpowered even in dual-engine configuration and reaches TWR of 1 only after half of its' fuel is burnt, especially in configuration with solids), so I try to shoot to the upper border of orbital velocity vector and keep above-horizon trim after passing apoapsis. Once TWR exceeds 1, I watch my vertical velocity and try to bring it to zero (which means that I'm at Apoapsis and flying level).

That would be sweet but look how intensive this mod is right now. You need a ton of other mods to make it work (FAR, MF, PF for example) and it already uses 2GB RAM for me on startup, I don't think you'll be able to reliably make a real solar system AND rockets to take you there without 64bit.

Yeah, that is true. Do you need MF? I don't really understand how it works...

Yeah, that is true. Do you need MF? I don't really understand how it works...

You really should figure it out, otherwise you won't be able to use real engines. It's not that hard to understand.