[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Nathan, what mods you working with? Cause whenever I start my g-turn, my craft shakes, making manual flight impossible. I have KAC, ModuleManager + MMSarbianWildcard, CrewManifest, MFSC, ST, KW, PF, KATO Engines, Dragon01's SovietPack, KJR and FAR. No crashes, no lag... Help?

Edit: Oh, and MJ plugin for MM and MMSW. MJ can control my rockets without flipping but when I do manual control, (which I'm great at vanilla ksp with FAR) all hell breaks loose.

Edited by Captain_Party

I've spend the past 2 days making this damn table

j89fwMb.png

You guys will definitely have some use for it. I've tested all the things personally, they're correct for the most part, but of course orbits aren't circular so it isn't perfect. You will get a close approach marker guaranteed. Duna needs a ~900m/s plane change and so does Saturn and Pluto.

Thank you so much. That's very helpful. I'm sure someone will come up with a calculator like the one for stock KSP very soon.

Looking at the source code for the Olex site, it's extremely easy. I just don't have any kind of HTML skills at all.

Planets included (no new graphics for now, excepting Kerbin and Mun)

Mercury is represented by Moho

Venus is represented by Eve

Earth is represented by Kerbin

Moon is represented by Mun

Mars is represented by Duna

Phobos is represented by Bop

Deimos is represented by Gilly

Jupiter is represented by Jool

Io is represented by Pol

Europa is represented by Eeloo

Ganymede is represented by Tylo

Callisto is represented by Ike

Saturn is represented by Dres

Titan is represented by Laythe

Uranus is represented by Minmus

Pluto is represented by Vall

IDEA!

Could someone do universe replacer textures for each of the planets in this order?

i.e. so that pol looks like io (more than it does now) etc. (the textures i'm using replace the planets and moons with realistic textures, but not in this order (so gilly/bop look nothing like phobos/deimos, but ike does)

Great mod, too! i love the extra challenge.

Looking at the source code for the Olex site, it's extremely easy. I just don't have any kind of HTML skills at all.

I could swear that someone already made a fork and posted about it in one of these threads but now I can't find it. Was I imagining things

I can, will, and am currently doing this now I guess. The only real problem is that once you get close enough to the planets, the actual surface will be very different from the texture. Also I have no idea what to do with bump maps, because I have no idea how to make them and I probably won't be able to find any. But I'll try.

I have a delta-v map of the solar system if anyone is interested. It's based on the one I made for the KSP planets some time ago.

SqdzxzF.png

Of course there's some inclination changes needed that aren't included because the delta-v depends on the position in your orbit.

Edited by metaphor

I know there is some debate about the NASA colouring of pictures, but I also know that for the rover missions a lot, and I mean a lot of camera calibration, benchmarking and testing was done in pretty much every conceivable light condition to ensure accurate colour reproduction. They deemed it essential for certain measurements and experiments. Even the NASA guys though it was a crazy amount of testing.

I have a hard time believing that NASA would structurally spread misinformation about the colours. Unless someone can bring some really strong evidence to the table about the more recent missions, I feel the only reasonable conclusion it that Mars is red/pinkish as anything almost all of the time, as it is a huge dustbowl of pretty must exclusively red dust.

I suggest you seek the Viking lander mission raw image data. It's easy to deal with and has not been edited by NASA or the media.

On

After a few solid minutes of effort, I've put together most of the planets with realistic textures. I still have to mess around with bump maps and resolutions, maybe some mirroring, but for the most part it's looking pretty good. Duna looks fricking amazing too! And yes, that is Dres with a Saturn texture slapped on it :P

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Edit - I forgot to take a picture of Jool. Trust me though, there's not much to see. I'ts just Jupiter now.

Wow, I leave for a day and there's all sorts of awesome contributions to the thread--thanks everybody!

That deltaV info and map look very helpful!

CaptainParty: Weird, I don't have issues on manual or MJ. Try removing mods one by one?

pina_coladas: MrShifty did a fork for Krag's Planet Factory. I'll do one for this, it shouldn't be bad.

mushroomman those are sooo pretty! I plan to work on getting the procedural planet textures to match those before long...

After a few solid minutes of effort, I've put together most of the planets with realistic textures. I still have to mess around with bump maps and resolutions, maybe some mirroring, but for the most part it's looking pretty good. Duna looks fricking amazing too! And yes, that is Dres with a Saturn texture slapped on it :P

Edit - I forgot to take a picture of Jool. Trust me though, there's not much to see. I'ts just Jupiter now.

Lord almighty, this is madness!

I love it!

I have a delta-v map of the solar system if anyone is interested. It's based on the one I made for the KSP planets some time ago.

Of course there's some inclination changes needed that aren't included because the delta-v depends on the position in your orbit.

I love you!