[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

I've got SUPER detailed textures, normal and height maps for the Earth, Moon and Mars (leftovers from my work on Orbiter's graphics plugin). The problem is they are HUGE (2-3 Gb for EACH of texture maps, normal maps and height maps) - about 14 Gb in total or so - don't remember exact numbers.

I wish one day we will be able to have such terrain in KSP, but that's going to take a looong time especially that we don't even have 64 bit support. :(

What do you mean by that? Scale up the planets but keep them at their KSP distance from the Sun? That won't really affect anything besides how long it takes to transfer. And there isn't a 1 to 1 correspondence between KSC planets and real planets. Like what real planet corresponds to Eeloo, or the moons of Jool?

I mean that this talk I see in the thread about moving gilly to orbit duna and minmus to who knows where (if that's not part of the main mod but people chancing the mod I apologise, I have been waiting to play with this until my deadline at work has been met). Of course increasing the distance from the sun somewhat proportionally to the change in size is needed. Sorry if I caused anyone to be upset.

I mean that this talk I see in the thread about moving gilly to orbit duna and minmus to who knows where (if that's not part of the main mod but people chancing the mod I apologise, I have been waiting to play with this until my deadline at work has been met). Of course increasing the distance from the sun somewhat proportionally to the change in size is needed. Sorry if I caused anyone to be upset.

Oh I was just curious why you would want the orbits to be smaller like in KSP instead of to scale with the solar system.

But yeah I get what you're saying. All the moons in the Kerbal system except for Mun don't really have any real-life analogues. Venus doesn't have a moon, so Gilly would be better suited to act as Phobos or Deimos, which are the real moons of Mars and are about the same size as Gilly. Earth doesn't have a second moon so Minmus doesn't really belong there. And so on. It would be cooler if the Real Solar System modded planets and moons actually had the textures that exist in reality, but that's really hard to do, so instead they were replaced with the bodies that already exist in the game.

Although the gas giants would probably look better as Jool clones, but I'm not sure how hard that is.

Hmmm... I haven't been to Laythe with RSS (and I haven't had a chance to even see v5 if that's what you're using) so I don't know what's a normal orbital speed around it. You might be able to reduce your encounter velocity a bit. Make sure that you're encountering it in a prograde direction and from a low inclination. The closer you are to a tangential intercept the better.

You might also be able to do something else here. Don't worry too much about getting captured in Laythe orbit in one shot, but try using its atmosphere to get a capture around its parent body (depending on version either Jool or Dres (Saturn)). Go out to apoapsis and use minimal fuel to get another encounter.

Other than that you can try turning the vessel to its side while you're at the high part of the atmosphere to get a bit more drag,

Hah! I came under Dres's south pole and hit Laythe from under its orbital plane. As I said, with a velocity of just over 11km/s. The vehicle's design, velocity and altitude to pull off any aerobraking with the DV left to it didn't allow for any maneuvering at all. I came in hot and it was either breaking apart or shooting back out of the atmosphere. Trust me, it was just a really bad design to be using with FAR. The best I could hope for was to get a piece of it down on the ground.

And a bad flight path too.

The mod's design involves movingg the planets around. As I was talking about above, Laythe is a moon of Dres now. Duna has two moons, one is Gilly. But, you can change the relationships and orbits in the config file.

Whats a good ascent profile for a 200km orbit with MJ?

If it's not very maneuverable you want a high value. I use 54%. More maneuverable, 20-30?

Whats a good ascent profile for a 200km orbit with MJ?

I made a quick Delta IV analogue (using stock and KW parts) and used a 1km turn start and 200km end with a "50%" profile.

Seemed to work out fine. This mod just rubs in how much dV is needed to get up to real(ish) Earth orbital velocity even after you make it up to 100km altitude compared to stock KSP.

Of course these settings will depends on your ISP fixer settings and any changes you've made to part configs.

Edited by li7in6

I haven't had a chance to look closely, but are all the planets' atmospheres modeled accurately? Like Laythe's atmosphere has the parameters of Titan's? That would be awesome.

Kerbin and Duna are, and I think Eve(as Venus) I have some doubt as to Jool, seemed a bit thinner than I was expecting but that could just be my expectations at fault. All the pertinent parameters are exposed in a config file.

and I'm working on some code to contribute to Nathan that will make atmospheric visual height and color configurable as well.

first three are Duna. last two Mars.(yeah cloud layer is too high)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I haven't had a chance to look closely, but are all the planets' atmospheres modeled accurately? Like Laythe's atmosphere has the parameters of Titan's? That would be awesome.

To some degree, I landed a probe on Eve today and it has 5.5 ATM at 2000m altitude. That's not even close to the mythical 92 of Venus, but it's more than normal Eve.

To mushroomman, I'm fairly certain it's Uranus not Neptune (also stated in the OP).

To some degree, I landed a probe on Eve today and it has 5.5 ATM at 2000m altitude. That's not even close to the mythical 92 of Venus, but it's more than normal Eve.

To mushroomman, I'm fairly certain it's Uranus not Neptune (also stated in the OP).

Wow if Venus is 92, and Eve is configured to match, how the heck is anyone coming back from that soup?

Wow if Venus is 92, and Eve is configured to match, how the heck is anyone coming back from that soup?

You're probably not. Imagine even as it is right now at maybe 6 or so at sea level, it's almost the same size as Earth, the dV would be beyond achievable. I doubt even something as OP as the Orion drive would manage that. My lander of unknown TWR/dV managed to go up a km before running out of fuel. It reached 60m/s and probably started falling within 2 seconds of engine shutdown. Terminal velocity seemed about 30, 2 with a single parachute. Now imagine that, over 10 times denser.

You're probably not. Imagine even as it is right now at maybe 6 or so at sea level, it's almost the same size as Earth, the dV would be beyond achievable. I doubt even something as OP as the Orion drive would manage that. My lander of unknown TWR/dV managed to go up a km before running out of fuel. It reached 60m/s and probably started falling within 2 seconds of engine shutdown. Terminal velocity seemed about 30, 2 with a single parachute. Now imagine that, over 10 times denser.

Challenge accepted.

You wouldn't use rockets, you would use balloons. At least up to a more manageable atmospheric density. Kinda like this Jool mission I did as a mock Venus mission. (Venus has almost the same size and gravity as Jool so it's a pretty good analogue)

The current problem with setting Eve's sea level pressure to Venus' 92 atm is that it will cause very wonky things at the "edge" of the atmosphere. KSP basically stops calculating how dense the atmosphere should be once it's gone approximately 14 scale heights, which is about where the atmosphere is 0.000001 times it's sea level value. Now, that doesn't sound like much, but if you're hitting the top of that atmosphere at orbital speeds (7.7 km/s, and assuming density ~= atm * 1.225 kg/m^3), you end up with your vehicle instantly jumping from 0 dynamic pressure to 6681 Pa, which is the about the same dynamic pressure as you hit after getting down to ~45km during Kerbin reentry. Basically, you'd effectively hit a brick wall at the top of the Venusian atmosphere.

Challenge accepted.

Well then, I believe the key you need to change in the config file (RealSolarSystem.cfg) for Eve is atmosphereMultiplier. I just tested this out , according to MechJeb, a value of 92 yields 82.67 atm at 1700m. i think thats close enough.

But, I wonder too... can we make the temperature suitably inhospitable? Or should the challenge stand as is?

Edit:

Didnt see ferram's / Dragon's posts before. very interesting. Must be some way we can make this work...

Edited by Starwaster

If anyone's interested I've done some back of the napkin adjustments to remotetech 2 antenna/dish range's to better fit the new solar system scale and still fall in line with their description/assumed intended usage.

I wish one day we will be able to have such terrain in KSP, but that's going to take a looong time especially that we don't even have 64 bit support. :(

I've managed to implement that in Orbiter, and Orbiter is 32bit process. So it definetly can be done :wink:

I'm interested...

so far i just x20'd all of them, let's see your solution :)

I changed them to reach just past the body of their intended use. i.e. the big dishes reach just under and just beyond the farthest orbiting body, the LL-5 just beyond Duna from Kerbin, Communitron-32 just beyond geosynchros orbit, SS-5 just beyond Mun, etc.

Not sure what the policy is on sharing other people's config files here? Should I just post the new distance values or upload the config to dropbox?

I'm interested...

so far i just x20'd all of them, let's see your solution :)

Curious too, I only adjusted the global multiplier to 12.5 so:

- old 3.0Mm antenna (Kerbin GEO) went to 37.5Mm (Earth GSO)

- old "Duna" antenna went to 750Gm (considering Earth-Mars varies between 220Gm and 400Gm

- largest antenna is now 5 billion Km, the max distance Neptune can get from Earth is 4.7 billion

This leaves Pluto out... poor Pluto.

I've managed to implement that in Orbiter, and Orbiter is 32bit process. So it definetly can be done :wink:

Some compression, we don't really need THAT detailed map of Mars. Everything would get blurry once you get to the surface anyway.